FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South African Airways | Voyager (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager-752/)
-   -   Seat Assignment on SAA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager/1704066-seat-assignment-saa.html)

Doc Savage Aug 20, 2015 4:08 am

Seat Assignment on SAA

Hi everyone,

How does one go about choosing a seat on an SAA flight? I've got my PNR but can't find anywhere to choose a seat. I'm tall, and want to try to get an aisle.

Thanks!

Doc

Shumba Aug 20, 2015 6:04 am

www.flysaa.com - manage my booking - log in with booking reference number and surname - before my flight - select seats

DLinYUL Aug 20, 2015 8:21 am

Also discussed at length here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...lysaa-com.html

Doc Savage Aug 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks, guys. I've tried SAA.com and EgyptAir to no avail. SAA doesn't recognize the PNR, EgyptAir did but I couldn't choose a seat.

Cheetah_SA Aug 21, 2015 2:13 am

AFAIK you can only change seats on the flysaa.com web site if your ticket was booked on that web site.

I'm not sure what the workaround is using other airlines' web sites now that EgyptAir no longer obliges. A call to SAA maybe?

DLinYUL Aug 22, 2015 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 25301775)
Thanks, guys. I've tried SAA.com and EgyptAir to no avail. SAA doesn't recognize the PNR, EgyptAir did but I couldn't choose a seat.

If your booking does not entitle you to advance seat selection, then even going through the MS website won't help. If you are in J or full-fare Y (I believe) then you will be able to select seats, but not if you're booked in discount Y.

CBear Aug 25, 2015 11:42 am

Originally Posted by DLinYUL (Post 25310927)
If your booking does not entitle you to advance seat selection, then even going through the MS website won't help. If you are in J or full-fare Y (I believe) then you will be able to select seats, but not if you're booked in discount Y.

Nope.

Discount Y can still select seats through the call center.

Guvner067 Aug 26, 2015 9:44 pm

Same issue for me a few months back
I emailed them and all the seats (4 x J award bookings) were sorted in 24 hours.

[email protected]

phbl Aug 30, 2015 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 25301775)

So ask EgyptAir (or whomever issued the ticket) if they have a confirmation code on SAA, a conf code/pnr is not just a conf code/pnr much like a ticket number is.

SAA is useless at these kinds of things so keep expectations low, y'hear?

phbl Nov 23, 2015 5:15 am

Originally Posted by CBear (Post 25326139)
Nope.

Discount Y can still select seats through the call center.

Call center told me a few weeks ago that selecting seats on intl itinerary (booked with united) will result in $$$. knowing south africa this is probably the rule.

SOLTATIO Nov 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by phbl (Post 25758514)
Call center told me a few weeks ago that selecting seats on intl itinerary (booked with united) will result in $$$. knowing south africa this is probably the rule.

Same here. Even called their HKG centre as they are normally pretty good and she said it would cost me HKD200 (US$26) to reserve a seat. For the crappy economy on those old A340's there is no way.

Guvner067 Nov 28, 2015 1:43 am

Like I said above, email them. I was booked through another carrier. No cost to assign seats.

JoJo12 Nov 29, 2015 7:26 pm

Yes, the email worked for me, got a response in a few days with the seats I wanted per seat guru. Used United miles for the award in business, LIM to CPT via Brazil and JNB.

phbl Dec 6, 2015 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Guvner067 (Post 25781456)
Like I said above, email them. I was booked through another carrier. No cost to assign seats.

Originally Posted by JoJo12 (Post 25788053)
Yes, the email worked for me, got a response in a few days with the seats I wanted per seat guru. Used United miles for the award in business, LIM to CPT via Brazil and JNB.

but yall are in j. that must be free, or do i not know south africa well enough?:D

i emailed them anyways (for my discount y booked via 016), we'll see.

phbl Dec 6, 2015 11:26 pm

i sent an email asking for exit row and if that's not available then aisle as close to the front

got this reply

Dear phbl,

Emergency exit seats are saleable for one to be accommodated on them. You can bid for the seats at the airport.

Warm regards,

Customer Services

phbl Dec 14, 2015 6:24 am

i followed up with a request for just aisle seats and got this within 3 working days:

Kindly be advised that you need to consult with the call centre on +27 (0)11 978 1111 for assistance with preselecting the seats hence there will be some charges occurred and we are unable to take payment via email due to security reasons or you may request the seats within 24 hours of travel to avoid excess charges however it is not guaranteed you will get the seats you wish to sit on hence they are subject to availability.
therefore, i'd assume if you're booked in y and not booked via saa, even if you're *g you do not get seat assignment without $$$.

bummer.

however by za standards i am impressed with the direct email to service recovery and the complaints dept.

ahrobert Jan 12, 2016 5:54 am

Originally Posted by phbl (Post 25758514)

I booked JNB/ GRU on a discounted fare earlier last year and was able to reserve seats online. However since then a charge was introduced for booking seats on non flexible fares. SAA change one of my flight and changed the time on the other flight and I am then advised by reservations that I now have to pay to reserve seats on the changed flights. This must be in breach of the Consumer Protection Act.