Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

SAA business (A330) vs LH new business (747-800 / A380)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

Hi all

Would like to get people's opinions on which business class product class is a better product overall.

It would appear that Lufthansa is flying 747-800 during the December holidays.

Has anyone tried out Lufthansa? How does it compare to SAA J class? Which one do you prefer?

Cheers
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold
While I have not flown LH new J on the 748 (only on the A330), I would take SAA J.

Neither hard product is significantly superior, neither offers direct aisle access from every seat, etc. Both LH and SAA crews can be hit or miss, although I find myself disappointed less often with SAA crews than LH.

SAA bedding (decent mattress pad and good duvet) is much better than LH, and SAA menus are more varied. Flying SAA, you also get access to the arrivals lounge in JNB which I do not believe you have access to when flying LH.

Are the differences between LH & SAA monumental? No. But I put SAA slightly ahead in just about every category and cumulatively I think it adds up.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:23 pm

I think SAA business class offering is more like a modern airline premium economy. No comparison in my opinion.

I would personally choose Lufthansa new offering over the SAA "business" any day. The 747-8/A380 is a much better aircraft to fly on than a older and smaller A330 if that makes a difference to you.

Flight crews tend to be a lucky packet with quite a few airlines these days...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by M5000
I think SAA business class offering is more like a modern airline premium economy. No comparison in my opinion.
You seem to be confused: what airline offers fully flat beds in premium economy?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion

I would personally choose Lufthansa new offering over the SAA "business" any day. The 747-8/A380 is a much better aircraft to fly on than a older and smaller A330 if that makes a difference to you.

I would rather fly SAA business class than LH first class. The worst ever premium cabin experience I suffered was in LH first. Weak hard product, shoddy service and arrived 25hrs late in a different city to where I was actually booked to travel (Venice instead of Verona) but assured "its really not that far to drive".
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
I would personally choose Lufthansa new offering over the SAA "business" any day. The 747-8/A380 is a much better aircraft to fly on than a older and smaller A330 if that makes a difference to you
You do realize that SAA's A330s are younger than most of Lufthansa's A380s?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold

I would love to know which modern premium economy products you are flying. Sign me up!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:07 am

Last year I flew to Johannesburg on LH A380 business from Frankfurt and returned on SAA to UK (forget if it was the A330 or A340). Personally I found the new business on LH more comfortable in lay flat, food a bit better and service a bit better. I know some people do prefer SAA but if repeating I'd select LH both directions. If you have a choice, try doing 1 each direction (both are *A) - wasn't a huge difference between each and for me I'm glad I experienced both.

note: neither are PODs like Air Canada (mentioning because I see you're from Canada as well). On that trip I'd rank LH (service and cool factor of A380 with full level of business class)>AC>SAA.

note: if the cost was the same I'd do SAA from NY to JNB for convenience (one red-eye vs. 2, avoid an 8 hour layover in Europe).

Enjoy the trip!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I've taken both back to back.

Well it was the A340 JNB-FRA (from what I can see it's the same cabin/seat) with 4 hours to freshen up and then get on 748i FRA-LAX.

The upper deck is nice on the 748 but you don't have direct aisle access and the seats V into each other instead of away with a thin foot well divider.

Relaxing in each seat I found neither to be more comfortable than the other. You do get nicer bedding on SA.

My crew on JNB-FRA sucked, FRA-LAX was great. But the REAL winner for probably best crew experience I ever had was on SA for the JFK-JNB leg.

Food was about the same, maybe a bit more presentation on SA.

For me in this case I would say
1) Price
2) Schedule
3) Bucket List Experience
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: LH M&M
SA gets my vote by a fraction - the seat has tons of room and the mattress pad they give makes it so comfy. The new LH seats are OK but the fact that the seats angle towards each other at the feet is a pain - on my last flight my neighbour and I bumped into each other once or twice. Also the size of the LH cabin (on A380 mind you, haven't been on the 748 so not sure how many seats there) is just ridiculous, 96 (I think) seats in J makes it feel decidedly UN-exclusive. I would avoid a window seat on both if travelling alone.

Food, crew and entertainment are secondary to me, and I'd put them about on par - both are a bit hit-and-miss in my experience.

For me in this case I would say
1) Price
2) Schedule
3) Bucket List Experience
Sums it up nicely ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.