Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rumor: SAA may return to Miami

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by N830MH
Right! They don't have enough range to reach into South Africa. Only in JFK, IAD, MIA or ATL.
YYZ is closer to JNB than ATL.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by phbl
knowing how horribly run/ridiculous South Africa and SAA is, I wouldn't rule a ridiculous route with next to 0 star connections like JNB-MIA out. their hkg and auh flights are bleeding money, which is why they gave up on pek.

ba flies 2x 747s between lhr and cpt, and saa hasn't considered maybe putting one intl long haul out of cpt.

i'm not just saying this out of resentment that SAA only credits 50% elite miles on United. it's more that there are way better intl airlines out of S Africa.
Speaking of SAA intl long haul flight out of CPT, didn't they have CPT-LHR back in circa 2005? I also remember being booked on CDG-JNB back in July 2005, SAA went on strike, was bumped to an AF 744...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:49 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by 346fetish
Speaking of SAA intl long haul flight out of CPT, didn't they have CPT-LHR back in circa 2005? I also remember being booked on CDG-JNB back in July 2005, SAA went on strike, was bumped to an AF 744...
SAA sold the slot pair they were using for the CPT-LHR flights a few years ago. Since slot pairs at LHR are a bit more scarce then hen's teeth, there is virtually no chance that this route will be reinstated. BA are enjoying very high load factors (at high fares) on this route. Selling that slot pair must be one of many bad decisions SAA made in the last few years....
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by thijsseh
SAA sold the slot pair they were using for the CPT-LHR flights a few years ago. Since slot pairs at LHR are a bit more scarce then hen's teeth, there is virtually no chance that this route will be reinstated. BA are enjoying very high load factors (at high fares) on this route. Selling that slot pair must be one of many bad decisions SAA made in the last few years....
Very interesting. Selling slots makes for very good sudden income. Are they in such bad financial shape at the moment? What are the long haul fleet renewal plans at SAA?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:39 pm

Very interesting. Selling slots makes for very good sudden income. Are they in such bad financial shape at the moment? What are the long haul fleet renewal plans at SAA?
This happened in 2012, so not news.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh
I have not been on any of the two daily flight to LHR , or three if you count the seasonal flights to LGW in which any of those 3 flights have not been oversold. BA prints money on that route !
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601
I have not been on any of the two daily flight to LHR , or three if you count the seasonal flights to LGW in which any of those 3 flights have not been oversold. BA prints money on that route !
Given BA's overall profit margins I'm not sure they're printing money on many routes. But just because BA are getting good loads to CPT it doesn't mean the route would fit other airline's business models. Virgin couldn't make CPT work either.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:16 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i know sa has offices in florida but i don't get the demand. yeah lots of au pairs and people on the h2b and q1 visas are in florida but . or is it the largest market other than iad and jfk within range

and forget sa choosing a route to better connect with star alliance. they'll interline and codeshare with whoever they want (eg auh)

i think the slot sell was apart of their downsizing and focusing everything to jnb.
yes they are in very bad shape, they'll need more cash from the government soon.
new 333s coming online (with very impressive j cabin) but someone probably knows more.

Originally Posted by Flame3601
BA prints money on that route !
full loads does not equal printing dinero. there could be other factors like needing to fly certain capacity to keep a slot, cheap/free/subsidized landing and parking from CoCT and acsa. but maybe they are raking in bank.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by cur
full loads does not equal printing dinero. there could be other factors like needing to fly certain capacity to keep a slot, cheap/free/subsidized landing and parking from CoCT and acsa. but maybe they are raking in bank.
Oh i bet they get a sweet deal with ACSA seeing they park up to 3 aircraft during peak periods from the morning until late evening or with the exchange rate it just makes sense. The head of ops at JNB told me they make a pretty penny on the route , especially on the cargo front !
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by cur
i know sa has offices in florida but i don't get the demand. yeah lots of au pairs and people on the h2b and q1 visas are in florida but . or is it the largest market other than iad and jfk within rang
It's the largest South African community in North America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.