FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South African Airways | Voyager (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager-752/)
-   -   south african check in times (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager/1687570-south-african-check-times.html)

moebod Jun 14, 2015 2:15 am

south african check in times

I have a flight CPT-JNB connecting international.

I wanted to know when check in closes, it seems the SAA website has different times

International Check-in
Prior to check-in and boarding, profiling of passengers for immigration purposes may be required to protect the airline against immigration penalties. The process may require you to provide evidence of confirmed accommodation, sufficient funds and valid return or onward air tickets.
Flights to the USA - Passengers are required to check in at least three hours before flight departure.
All other International flights - Passengers are required to check in at least two and a half hours before flight departure (irrespective of travel class)

Seems 2.5 hours

Flight check-in closure times
Check-in for domestic flights closes 30 minutes prior to flight departure.
Check-in for regional and international flights closes 50 minutes prior to flight departure for all travel classes.
Check-in for flights from Johannesburg to Dubai, Luanda, Lagos and Kinshasa, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires closes 1 hour prior to flight departure.
Check-in for flights departing from Lagos closes 2 hours prior to flight departure.

Seems 50 minutes

Whats right?

thijsseh Jun 14, 2015 2:40 am

Originally Posted by moebod (Post 24967216)
I have a flight CPT-JNB connecting international.

I wanted to know when check in closes, it seems the SAA website has different times

International Check-in
Prior to check-in and boarding, profiling of passengers for immigration purposes may be required to protect the airline against immigration penalties. The process may require you to provide evidence of confirmed accommodation, sufficient funds and valid return or onward air tickets.
Flights to the USA - Passengers are required to check in at least three hours before flight departure.
All other International flights - Passengers are required to check in at least two and a half hours before flight departure (irrespective of travel class)

Seems 2.5 hours

Flight check-in closure times
Check-in for domestic flights closes 30 minutes prior to flight departure.
Check-in for regional and international flights closes 50 minutes prior to flight departure for all travel classes.
Check-in for flights from Johannesburg to Dubai, Luanda, Lagos and Kinshasa, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires closes 1 hour prior to flight departure.
Check-in for flights departing from Lagos closes 2 hours prior to flight departure.

Seems 50 minutes

Whats right?

Its SAA, anything goes....

When flying CPT/JNB/Int (which I do every now and then if I cant't avoid JNB) and the Int flight is on the same PNR as the domestic one, I would advise to check in at CPT an hour before departure. You will be checked in for the Int flight as well. Allow 2 hours in JNB for the connection and you will be fine (especially if the luggage is also checked through, which it should be).
If you cannot be checked in in CPT for the Int flight (different PNR's and no interlining agreement), still check in 1 hour before in CPT, but allow a bit more (say 2.5 hours) in JNB.

jsnydcsa Jun 16, 2015 8:36 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 24967255)
Its SAA, anything goes....

+1

What's your international destination? Keep in mind that there's additional security screening for JNB outbound to international destination passengers to, e.g., the United States, involving - just before entering the gate area - a physical search of you and your bags and a passport check. That takes time as well.