SAA and MANGO

Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Skatering
Not directly related, but be aware that SA's booking engine isn't the smartest. I booked two SA codeshare flights on one ticket (Mango to Airlink) with a 60-minute layover in JNB. Those two airlines don't interline, so that was fun.

So whenever anybody needs to book an SA codeshare, just check the operating carriers actually interline.
I can add to this that when changing from SA Express to Mango check in couldn't check the bags all the way so we had to wait for the bags at JNB and then re-check them.

90 minutes between flights(as in mycase) should be ok but I can't see why SAA sells these tickets.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:12 pm

Hi All,

Re. SA to BA. Is there any chance SA will interline our baggage from Nelspruit through to LHR via JNB?

Will
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by wavery83
Hi All,

Re. SA to BA. Is there any chance SA will interline our baggage from Nelspruit through to LHR via JNB?

Will
In my experience ....

CPT-JNB SAA
JNB-LHR BA

"No sir , sorry you will have to recheck it in at the dedicated check section for BA at JNB."

So basically no ...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:05 am

Fair enough. We have plenty of time so guess we'll just have to pick up and re-check. It's not a big airport, right?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:21 am

Fair enough. We have plenty of time so guess we'll just have to pick up and re-check. It's not a big airport, right?
The walk from the Domestic terminal to the International terminal is about 10-15 minutes in a slow pace
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
SA could do it but your flight from MQP-JNB is on 4Z (Airlink) and only an SA codeshare so I would think not.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
gspurr, I am utterly unable to answer your questions, but am rather tagging on to re-ask one of them.

Is it possible to earn *A miles (not Voyager) on an SAA ticketed flight operated by Mango? The price difference is around $10, which is worth it if I get the miles, as that would help my *G requalification.

[either way, I am likely to be on a Mango flight next week, so will try to make time to go to the checkin desk and ask them about interlining luggage as in your case, [B]gspurr, and will report back if I manage]
1) No *A miles on Mango
2) I was able to thru-check luggage on Mango to SAA connection. I booked as a single ticket (and Mango flight was sold as an SAA flight operated by Mango). Everything arrived fine in the US (so far as I can tell!).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Are there ANY benefits to booking Mango flights with SAA rather than on the Mango site that would justify paying more?

(Am Star gold if that makes a difference)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, TK *G, BA Silver
I've unwittingly booked flights on South African where the first of two domestic flights is operated by Mango.

On the SAA website I can select seats on the SAA operated leg, but not the Mango leg. The Mango website doesn't recognise my booking reference. What's going on here?!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by tomauk
I've unwittingly booked flights on South African where the first of two domestic flights is operated by Mango.

On the SAA website I can select seats on the SAA operated leg, but not the Mango leg. The Mango website doesn't recognise my booking reference. What's going on here?!
Mango assigns seats at airport (or maybe 24 hours out - I forget now).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Are there ANY benefits to booking Mango flights with SAA rather than on the Mango site that would justify paying more?

(Am Star gold if that makes a difference)
It may vary, but I believe the code shares with SAA are a higher fare class on Mango so you get things like checked bags and a snack you don't have to pay for. You don't get *A benefits.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by drewguy
It may vary, but I believe the code shares with SAA are a higher fare class on Mango so you get things like checked bags and a snack you don't have to pay for. You don't get *A benefits.
Correct, no Star benefits, but booked on an SA flight number will give you bags and a meal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.