SA to drop unprofitable Asian routes

Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by DBCme
AirlineRoute Blog is reporting SAA's JNB-PEK route will be dropped from late March 15

http://airlineroute.net/2015/02/02/s...ign=sa-pek-s15
Originally Posted by evanb
Dropped in favour of a codeshare with Air China and Etihad. Mumbai probably to follow.
Certainly hope this is a sign that HKG will hold out. HKG timing has always worked much better for connections to Japan and Korea as well, NH and OZ both sell codeshares via HKG. Unfortunately though with UA's new punitive earnings chart for partner economy, I may find myself on ET next time going to ZA anyway.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Certainly hope this is a sign that HKG will hold out. HKG timing has always worked much better for connections to Japan and Korea as well, NH and OZ both sell codeshares via HKG. Unfortunately though with UA's new punitive earnings chart for partner economy, I may find myself on ET next time going to ZA anyway.
HKG will stay.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Why would they want to fly to YYZ?
Tons of South Africans live there. There's even a South African shop.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Tons of South Africans live there. There's even a South African shop.
60 000 South Africans live in New Zealand (mostly in Auckland) there are plenty of South African stores, and even butcheries. Yet I dont think an airline can survive solely on expats, a sound business case needs to exist.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:28 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Guess CAN wouldn't work then...too many connection possibilities anyway.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Guess CAN wouldn't work then...too many connection possibilities anyway.
CAN is no good for *A connections, it needs to be an O&D route. Considering CAN is a trading hub it seems that it works ok for airlines in East and North Africa but I don't know that South Africa has such a heavy reliance on China as they do in other parts of the continent.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:07 am

China is South Africa's biggest (i.e., most important) trading partner.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Sabasi
Biggest, yes, most important no. The European Union is probably still the most important since it is the largest export destination by a long way.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:18 am

CAN is no good for *A connections, it needs to be an O&D route. Considering CAN is a trading hub it seems that it works ok for airlines in East and North Africa but I don't know that South Africa has such a heavy reliance on China as they do in other parts of the continent.
Star Alliance has simply not worked for SAA. They are clearly moving away from Star. For example, in North America they have successfully tested the waters with JetBlue, in South America they are increasing cooperation with TAM, and now Virgin Australia and Etihad (big time).
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:01 am

Dropped in favour of a codeshare with Air China and Etihad. Mumbai probably to follow.
looks like mumbai is cut

http://airlineroute.net/2015/02/05/sa-bom-s15/
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:58 am

Biggest, yes, most important no. The European Union is probably still the most important since it is the largest export destination by a long way.
No, it isn't. Exports to Asia dwarf those to Europe, by almost 50 percent.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:37 pm

No, it isn't. Exports to Asia dwarf those to Europe, by almost 50 percent.
SA Revenue Service data for 2014:

Exports to China R94 billion
Exports to EU R197 billion

South Africa see the EU as a single trade bloc since we have a Free Trade Agreement. Also, while trade between South Africa and China is based on manufacturing and resources, trade between South Africa in the EU is also more based on the services and tourism which isn't included in trade data.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:36 pm

Interesting, that's just from my perception of driving around the country vs driving in other African countries. You can see a much heavier Chinese influence in those countries. Don't notice it at all in South Africa.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:08 pm

Add JNB - Mumbai to the list

South African Airways cancels direct flights Johannesburg <> Mumbai (India)
South Africa's flag carrier, South African Airways (SAA), will from 01 April 2015 redirect its flights to all destinations in India via Abu Dhabi through its new direct service with onward code-share agreement connections with Etihad Airways and Jet Airways into the sub-continent. New destinations in India include Delhi, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Madras/Chennai among others. South African Airways will operate its last direct Johannesburg <> Mumbai service on 28 March 2015. Passengers booked on flights departing after the end date of the direct service will be accommodated on the reconfigured network.

http://umhambi.blogspot.com/2015/02/...ls-direct.html
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:35 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Oh, vis-a-vis connections I meant the ME3, KQ and ET.

Also, even though CAN is a SkyTeam stronghold, they have a good amount of *A destinations too, with ZH and CA. Of course, should this flight ever happen I don't know when it would land, so those connections might be rendered less useful anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.