FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South African Airways | Voyager (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager-752/)
-   -   Seating Advice on SA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager/1626653-seating-advice-sa.html)

TWA Guy Nov 6, 2014 9:47 am

Seating Advice on SA

I just booked three flights in business class on SA:

Longhaul on A346

Two shorthaul segments, on B738 and A320

Any advice regarding seat choice? All flights are wide open as of now. Thanks!

gcuk Nov 6, 2014 3:22 pm

I always go for row 3 or 4 on the 346 as they are furthest from the galley noise front and rear of the business class cabin. I prefer the centre block of seats, D and G as there is direct aisle access but no one disturbing your sleep to exit the window seat.
Some time since I flew on the 738 and haven't been on the 320.

TWA Guy Nov 6, 2014 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk (Post 23803205)
I always go for row 3 or 4 on the 346 as they are furthest from the galley noise front and rear of the business class cabin. I prefer the centre block of seats, D and G as there is direct aisle access but no one disturbing your sleep to exit the window seat.

Great, thanks!

evanb Nov 7, 2014 5:04 am

Originally Posted by TWA Guy (Post 23801467)
I just booked three flights in business class on SA:

Longhaul on A346

Two shorthaul segments, on B738 and A320

Any advice regarding seat choice? All flights are wide open as of now. Thanks!

On the B738 sit on the left side of the aircraft since the business cabin doesn't have a middle seat on the left, but does on the right.

TWA Guy Nov 7, 2014 6:54 am

Originally Posted by evanb (Post 23805582)
On the B738 sit on the left side of the aircraft since the business cabin doesn't have a middle seat on the left, but does on the right.

Got it, thanks!

TheFerret Nov 7, 2014 8:18 am

Originally Posted by gcuk (Post 23803205)

I would agree with that, I JNB-IAD on a 343 (5 rows of business with a galley then 2 more rows compared to 7 continuous rows) and I had 3D, which was right in the middle of the cabin, didn't notice much galley or people noise and the center block is better since people won't be stepping over you when you sleep. Overall, probably one of the best seats to pick.

TWA Guy Nov 7, 2014 8:21 am

Originally Posted by TheFerret (Post 23806274)
I would agree with that, I JNB-IAD on a 343 (5 rows of business with a galley then 2 more rows compared to 7 continuous rows) and I had 3D, which was right in the middle of the cabin, didn't notice much galley or people noise and the center block is better since people won't be stepping over you when you sleep. Overall, probably one of the best seats to pick.

Thanks! Believe it or not, 3D was already selected for my flight in September 2015 so went with 4D.

glasnost7 Dec 3, 2014 8:49 am

Two of us are booked on the SA 340-300 from JFK to JNB and the seat map shows 5 full rows of business class whereas SeatGuru and SAA seatplans show only 4 full rows of business with only the centre seats in row 5. Can anyone clear up this discrepancy for me? Thanks!

gcuk Dec 4, 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by glasnost7 (Post 23935584)
Two of us are booked on the SA 340-300 from JFK to JNB and the seat map shows 5 full rows of business class whereas SeatGuru and SAA seatplans show only 4 full rows of business with only the centre seats in row 5. Can anyone clear up this discrepancy for me? Thanks!

SAA operate two ex-Iberia 340-300s. They have the additional seats in row 5. There are a number of threads on these aircraft but I understand they have been refitted and there is little discernable difference between these aircraft and original SAA aircraft.
They are used interchangeably within the 340-300 fleet so you may well find you travel on one of the aircraft without the extra seats in row 5.

jchock1 Dec 7, 2014 3:14 pm

Do not choose the center seats in row 5. They are basically in between parts of the galley--a wall of cabinets on both sides of the plane holding all manner of supplies that the FAs are in and out of the entire flight. We were in row 3, and they seemed the best seats, though the seats are rather hard. Ask for another pad and/or duvet. And, the vegan meal option was actually very good, btw.

glasnost7 Dec 8, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks for the advice about 5D and 5G, jchock1, as I'd been considering them. Right now only those two seats and the aft business cabin are available for a couple traveling together. There aren't a lot of great options in the aft cabin, but it sounds like they're much better than row 5.

jchock1 Dec 8, 2014 8:34 pm

Either row 6 or 7 would be better than 5 in my opinion, 7 better than 6. 5 would be my very last choice.

thijsseh Dec 9, 2014 1:58 am

Originally Posted by jchock1 (Post 23965026)
Either row 6 or 7 would be better than 5 in my opinion, 7 better than 6. 5 would be my very last choice.

Agree!

glasnost7 Dec 9, 2014 9:28 am

We're currently in 16H/K, the very last row of business in the small cabin before economy. Interestingly, a lot of the business cabin is now blocked off (as against being occupied), as well as much of the economy cabin, at least according to Expert Flyer. I've noticed this phenomenon before with SAA, does anyone know why they do this? Just curious.