Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

SA JFK-JNB Business mid-flight food/snacks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

Sorry for creating a new thread, I could really only find some of the various bits of info in the few TRs here and there.

Later this month I am flying J from JFK-JNB and I have heard that it can be easy to get hungry on the flight.
Some of the reports mentioned no mid-flight snack offered other than a bag of crisps or a cookie. Some said they were able to muster up a sandwich.

I figured I would get more info here than through one TR experience.
Should I plan to bring a few granola bars, jerky or something like that from the airport before we take off?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
I did SA204 JFK-JNB last week in J.

We were served ample drinks, biscuits, crisps, pretzels and hors d'oeuvres type snacks throughout.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Okay cool...I figured it was just something exclusive to the TR that I read on it or perhaps the writer slept through or never asked for anything.
On anything more than 5-6 hours I always have a little emergency snack pack but was wondering if I should thrown in an extra thing or two.

Very excited about the flight!!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I flew IAD-DKR-JNB-DKR-IAD in January and did get a bit hungry. Usually I'm stuffed. It's always a good idea to have some emergency granola bars and snacks when you travel.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Duke777
I flew IAD-DKR-JNB-DKR-IAD in January and did get a bit hungry. Usually I'm stuffed. It's always a good idea to have some emergency granola bars and snacks when you travel.
I'm doing that same route this coming week, good to know.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Also if I am doing JFK-JNB-CPT I assume I do passport/immigration in JNB but my bags I don't touch until CPT, right?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Also if I am doing JFK-JNB-CPT I assume I do passport/immigration in JNB but my bags I don't touch until CPT, right?

You will have to collect your bags in Johannesburg to take them through Customs before rechecking them at the desk after Customs.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SAWorldVoyager
You will have to collect your bags in Johannesburg to take them through Customs before rechecking them at the desk after Customs.
Just like America!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: *A, PD
Two years ago when I flew YYZ-IAD-JNB-CPT (SA on last two flights), I wasn't told properly that I had to collect my bags in JNB, so arriving in CPT, my bags are not there and upon talking to agent, was told they were already on the next flight which landed 20 min later after my flight. It was weird how proactive they were on this without me even knowing I screwed up.

So yes, make sure you claim and recheck you baggage in JNB.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by TheFerret
Two years ago when I flew YYZ-IAD-JNB-CPT (SA on last two flights), I wasn't told properly that I had to collect my bags in JNB, so arriving in CPT, my bags are not there and upon talking to agent, was told they were already on the next flight which landed 20 min later after my flight. It was weird how proactive they were on this without me even knowing I screwed up.

They also make announcements on the aircraft to that affect. I doubt you were the first person not to pick up your bags in JNB so they have a system in place to deal with it, however, it costs them time and money and inconveniences you.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:52 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by TheFerret

I wonder if / how they circumvent the customs process this way.
Seems a clever way to get items into the country without paying duty, 'forget' to clear your bags in JNB and have them sent to CPT (where I presume they arrive on the domestic side of the terminal as they are on a domestic flight).
Not that I have seen anyone do checks on 'green channel' pax in JNB for a long time. Other than in CPT, where the customs officers on duty make sure they keep busy (well, until SAA ended the LHR/CPT flights, I have not entered the country through CPT since then).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
I wonder if / how they circumvent the customs process this way.
Seems a clever way to get items into the country without paying duty, 'forget' to clear your bags in JNB and have them sent to CPT (where I presume they arrive on the domestic side of the terminal as they are on a domestic flight)
Evanb's experience with proactive SAA indicates that he should have played the lottery that day.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Evanb's experience with proactive SAA indicates that he should have played the lottery that day.
I have never actually had this experience. Just speaking of them probably having to do it often. But I do here the reminder announcement on the aircraft almost ever time.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Well in any event thanks for confirming the info...looking forward to this flight!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Sorry this is becoming my general SA questions thread lol

I have my flights booked through UA and with my upcoming first leg being JFK-JNB I have the PNR and called and got my seats assigned in J a few months ago.
Even with the SA # I can't view my reservation on the site but will I be able still OLCI with it? IIRC I had another code share where I couldn't view it online but I was able to OLCI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.