Wiki Posts
Search

SAA decreases capacity on London route

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SAA decreases capacity on London route

"When asked why SAA was decreasing capacity on its London route, SAA Spokesperson, Tlali Tlali, said the decision was informed by customer feedback “so that we are able to meet the expectations of our passengers”. "

Nice one!

Source

Johan
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
The A330s they will use have a better onboard product than the A340s.

By taking out BMI, BA has done a fantastic job of turning LHR into an O&D only airport for non-BA aligned airlines. Even some historically BA aligned airlines have been pushed out of the hub model and forced to focus only on O&D traffic. Contrary to popular opinion/wisdom, O&D traffic alone is not everything, and SA has been forced to focus more on producing yield at LHR rather than volumes. While switching to the A330-200 from the A340-600 is a big drop in economy class capacity, it is a significantly smaller drop in business class capacity. So not only do they reduce the CASM but also probably increase the yield considerably.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evanb
00 is a big drop in economy class capacity, it is a significantly smaller drop in business class capacity.
About 1/3 fewer Y seats, and 1/4 fewer J, if I'm not mistaken. That's still quite a decrease in J capacity. Can they really make up for that by increasing yield? With the introduction of the A380 BA is increasing J capacity to JNB considerably, and I've noticed that I can now purchase tickets are fares lower than I've seen in at least five years, but probably considerably longer.

Also, does SA have alternative routes where the capacity of the gas-guzzling A430-600 can be put to good use? Beijing, maybe?

Johan
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Not quite, they are currently operating once daily A340-600 and once daily A330-200, will now become twice daily A330-200. So it's a loss of 6 J and 89 Y seats per day, or 7% and 19%, respectively.

Currently, the A340-600 will go to New York for the seasonal capacity bump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.