Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Award availability to Mauritius MRU with SA

Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:55 pm
KRS
Original Poster

I have been looking at booking award travel to MRU with Star Alliance and it appears the only option is flying from JNB with SA.

I am looking for travel in September which I understand is not high season, but availability is very scarce on this segment, with the odd flight available on Thursday or Saturday typically. Ideally looking for business class, but economy will be fine

Is MRU a difficult destination for award travel? Does SA open up seats closer to travel? How far in advance do they typically make awards available?

I will be departing from Norway and atm the cheapest paid tickets I can find are USD1500 in economy, so any suggestions appreciated!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:19 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I personally did not have any issues redeeming in business for JNB-MRU and return. IT's the getting to JNB from Europe or the Americas that's the problem.

I think that this is the easiest African island to get to- Seychelles and Maldives are much harder on Star Alliance.

I think you just need to be flexible and plan your trip accordingly when there are seats available.

In my experience, they only released 2 business reward seats per flight (despite having 20 seats in the business cabin)

My two thousand-th post!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
I had no issues as well booking the JNB-MRU (and back) legs (traveled earlier this year). However, I just did a quick search on the ANA site and nothing at all available the entire month of September 2014 in either direction.

Seems odd. Have you tried calling? Sometimes the websites do not tell the whole story. Be prepared to quote the exact flights you need to the agent. And make sure all the other flights OSL-FRA-JNB (or wherever you are connecting through) have availability. From my ANA search it looked like their is availability in September for OSL-FRA or MUC or CAI-JNB.

Unfortunately, on *A I'm not aware of any other way to get to MRU.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I personally did not have any issues redeeming in business for JNB-MRU and return. IT's the getting to JNB from Europe or the Americas that's the problem.

I think that this is the easiest African island to get to- Seychelles and Maldives are much harder on Star Alliance.

I think you just need to be flexible and plan your trip accordingly when there are seats available.

In my experience, they only released 2 business reward seats per flight (despite having 20 seats in the business cabin)

My two thousand-th post!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
One more thing you may want to try (not ideal, but if you have no other options)...

Looks like there is decent award availability in September 2014 to SEZ (Seychelles). It all goes through ADD on Ethiopian. Looks like you could do: SVG-ARN-ADD-SEZ. Then buy a ticket on Air Seychelles for around $550 USD (check their website) to go round trip SEZ-MRU. The return could be (depending on your dates) SEZ-ADD-LHR-SVG.

You would need to play with the dates to get the best connections. Also Air Seychelles does not do SEZ-MRU every day (three days a week, I think, depending on the time of year).

Last resort if you cannot get JNB-MRU.

Good luck.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 2:35 am
KRS
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!^
I haven't called yet, but will do so soon.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by KRS
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!^
I haven't called yet, but will do so soon.
KRS, did you find any awardstickets to MRU?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:51 pm
KRS
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NordicLane
KRS, did you find any awardstickets to MRU?
Well, I saw some availability but did not book, as I was not flexible with dates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.