Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SA Express *G Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The worst part of this consistently inconsistent bad service is that SAA seems to have led the Star Alliance to believe they are playing by all the rules, including having franchise partners fully integrated. Indeed, if you check in with SA Express or Airlink, the check in lines always note *G as well as the SAA classifications. Also, on the *A website, they even note how SA Express and Airlink are part of the SAA network.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:02 am

And also SA Express and Airlink flights earn miles according to SA earning charts.

It's really annoying.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
Indeed, if you check in with SA Express or Airlink, the check in lines always note *G as well as the SAA classifications.
Again, not on Mondays in Malawi. They cover up the "Star Alliance Gold" sign with a piece of paper for the Monday flights.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Feels like a scam to me, as no other airline in the world would consider a franchised flight as not eligible for Alliance benefits.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Again, not on Mondays in Malawi. They cover up the "Star Alliance Gold" sign with a piece of paper for the Monday flights.
I'm just talking about the desks at JNB and CPT.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Krisflyer
This devious policy is still ongoing. I was denied access to the SAA lounge because my KFEG status counts for nothing with SA Express. I booked the flight through the SAA website, its flight code was SA, and of course the SA Express logo is the same as SAA, but somehow the airline can claim it is an unrelated, non-*A service? Seems like a sneaky way to get out of *A obligations. Hope I still get the KF miles!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by onlySIA
This devious policy is still ongoing. I was denied access to the SAA lounge because my KFEG status counts for nothing with SA Express. I booked the flight through the SAA website, its flight code was SA, and of course the SA Express logo is the same as SAA, but somehow the airline can claim it is an unrelated, non-*A service? Seems like a sneaky way to get out of *A obligations. Hope I still get the KF miles!
I think you're being a little dramatic calling it devious. The Kris Flyer award chart clearly indicates that miles are earned on flights "operated" by South Africa Airways. When booking an SA Express flight on the SAA website, it clearly indicates, highlighted in red, "operated by South African Express".

The Kris Flyer website says "Over 1,000 Star Alliance Gold lounges worldwide, together with a guest who is also flying on Singapore Airlines or a Star Alliance airline on the same day." Nowhere on SAA, SA Express or Star Alliance's website does it indicate that SA Express are a Star Alliance member.

It's clearly a codeshare flight with a non-alliance partner. The analogy might be flying on Cathay with an Air Canada codeshare, and expecting Cathay to grant you lounge access for your Kris Flyer status. I don't think people would think it's devious in that circumstance.

While the logos might seem similar since they are both based on the South African flag, they are not the same.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by evanb
The Kris Flyer award chart clearly indicates that miles are earned on flights "operated" by South Africa Airways. When booking an SA Express flight on the SAA website, it clearly indicates, highlighted in red, "operated by South African Express".
For anyone who's curious, I did get both Krisflyer miles and Elite miles for the SA Express-operated flight.

I stand by my belief that the distinction between SAA and SA Express is artificial. My flights even used SAA-branded napkins!

(Incidentally I infer that the SAA lounge at Jo'burg must not be up to SQ's standards: when flying JNB-SIN in J with SQ I was given a pass to a privately-operated lounge...)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlySIA
I stand by my belief that the distinction between SAA and SA Express is artificial.
At the moment they are still two separate airlines, though. As both are in dire financial straights, this may not last

"Minister Gigaba has ... indicated that the process of assessing the viability of a merger between SAA and SA Express is complete, pending a government review."

Source

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.