SAA JNB Arrivals lounge

Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
SAA JNB Arrivals lounge

Yesterday I flew in from IAD on SAA, and found the new lounge just after customs on the left handside BEFORE you go landside however at 16h30 it was closed.

How stupid is this, arriving on the longest SAA flight, and they cant be bothered to open!!! They apparently only open 5am - 1pm, absolutely pathetic.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 5:19 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by SAWorldVoyager
Yesterday I flew in from IAD on SAA, and found the new lounge just after customs on the left handside BEFORE you go landside however at 16h30 it was closed.

How stupid is this, arriving on the longest SAA flight, and they cant be bothered to open!!! They apparently only open 5am - 1pm, absolutely pathetic.
And does this surprise you???

Stupid yes, surprising no. The argument will be: most arrival lounges (of other airlines) close a few hours after the overnight flights have arrived.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
it does actually.....

IAD-JNB is without doubt overnight (although it actually feels a lot longer, especially when the cabin is full and you share the row - I do prefer having the window and the isle to myself - call me greedy).

Then from a business point of view, surely the costs for actually renting the space from the airports company and fitment must be huge relative to the salaries paid to lounge staff, especially considering the time taken to complete the lounge refits?

And the fact that the lounge was actually 'staffed' by two individuals in SAA uniform and 2 security officials who were enjoying the couches and tv's but alas they are not "lounge staff" hence it was closed to paying pax.

I cant see the point of having a lounge service to cater for the shorter flights and not the super longhauls.

BUT YOU RIGHT 100% STUPID, 'SPOORIE Mentality' I shouldnt be suprised, its my fault for having expectations that are too capitalistic.

Last edited by SAWorldVoyager; Oct 4, 2010 at 2:33 pm Reason: gufferment education = poor spelling
Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
...I shouldnt be suprised, its my fault for having expectations that are too capatalistic.
Hardly capatalistic (or even capitalistic). Consumer orientated or customer focussed perhaps
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat

on a related note i visited the lounge for the first time two weeks ago and found it quite nice. it was small but had a good variety of sandwiches and snacks.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:29 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Looking forward to trying this lounge in a few months. I'm flying in on the SAA red-eye from Munich that gets in at 08:20. I have a 4 hour layover until my connection to Durban, so I figured I could take a shower in the arrivals lounge before moving to the domestic terminal and the Baobab lounge there. Does that sound good to the seasoned SAA travellers out there or would you recommend I just go straight to the Baobab lounge?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: BA BD SA
At almost 11 hours duration - and on the same time zone - it's hardly a "red-eye". And since you are talking about the arrival lounge you are obviously going to have had a great night's rest on SA's fantastic flat bed. No reason for you to have red eyes at all.

Even though the domestic lounge also has showers, with 4 hours to kill you may as well sample both. The food in the arrivals lounge might be better too but someone else will have to vouch for that as I have yet to have the privilege.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
And since you are talking about the arrival lounge you are obviously going to have had a great night's rest on SA's fantastic flat bed. No reason for you to have red eyes at all.
Although having said that the seats seem more lumpy these days and need of a refit, they must be nearly through their useful life? I notice almost all seats are less smooth in action and the massage never works. That coupled with the seat adjustment buttons that are worn, the screens are at best "ok".

But to answer the original question, I wouldnt even bother with the departures lounge stay at arrivals, nicer meal choice, lovely showers and very quiet. Other than the view domestic departures offers no benefit.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American Gold AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jbb
Looking forward to trying this lounge in a few months. I'm flying in on the SAA red-eye from Munich that gets in at 08:20. I have a 4 hour layover until my connection to Durban, so I figured I could take a shower in the arrivals lounge before moving to the domestic terminal and the Baobab lounge there. Does that sound good to the seasoned SAA travellers out there or would you recommend I just go straight to the Baobab lounge?
I used the SAA Arrivals Lounge in JNB a few months when I had a 3 hour layover for my flight to CPT. The Arrivals Lounge is just after you walk through the Customs area, but before you get to the baggage re-check area INSIDE the Arrivals Hall. What was nice is that I had my checked baggage with me and I could shower in the Arrivals Lounge, have access to my tolietries, and change into fresh clothing. I then pack my other clothing and tolietries back into my baggage and dropped it at the baggage re-check counter before exiting the Arrivals Hall. Coffee and breakfast items were available in the Arrivals Lounge. I then proceed to the Baobob Lounge in the domestic terminal and worked on email while I waited for the CPT flight.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by FlyPI
The Arrivals Lounge is just after you walk through the Customs area, but before you get to the baggage re-check area INSIDE the Arrivals Hall.
I find this description rather confusing. I think we have a different defintition of "arrivals hall". For me once you have been through customs you exit the arrivals hall via the one-way doors. That makes the re-check area outside the arrivals hall in my parlance. So where exactly is the arrivals lounge? In the central concourse between the international and domestic terminals? I.e. the same concourse as the re-check area?

Although having said that the seats seem more lumpy these days and need of a refit, they must be nearly through their useful life? I notice almost all seats are less smooth in action and the massage never works. That coupled with the seat adjustment buttons that are worn, the screens are at best "ok".
They can be tricky and I usually have to wriggle around to get the best bed. But I'm disappointed to hear they are becoming dodgy. Suppose it has to happen - they are far from new.

Other than the view domestic departures offers no benefit.
Great coffee! You must concede that. After an overnight flight a good cappucino (ask for "strong" so you get a double shot and less milk) is a blessed thing.

Is the coffee as good in the arrivals lounge?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:24 pm

OK I found the answers to my questions about the location in a post by SAWorldVoyager in another thread - after customs but before the doors take a lift up.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Is the coffee as good in the arrivals lounge?
I am no barista, but on the two occasions I have been coffee has been good.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:04 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Great coffee! You must concede that. After an overnight flight a good cappucino (ask for "strong" so you get a double shot and less milk) is a blessed thing.
True. But make sure that you go to the counter and ask them to make you a cappucino ("strong as Cheetah_SA says). There is also a self service 'coffee station' which is.... well, self service quality. Not terrible, but no shadow on the freshly prepared version .
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:02 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
I have used the arrivals lounge 4 times last year, and it was always empty. The showers are excellent and clean. Food selection is basic (toast, pastries, fruit, cereal, sandwiches) and there is a decent selection of juices, tea/coffee. There is also a smokers lounge.

Also you can use your checked in toiletries, etc.^^^
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: QR Silver
Will be arriving on SAA metal from FRA and was wonderng whether somone had some photos of the lounge?
And, how come it is not mentioned on www.flysaa.com that they do in fact have an arrivals lounge? Weird. Then again, they don´t even advertise their premium product, sp why should they advertise their arrivals lounge? ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.