SA: JFK-JNB vs. IAD-DKR-JNB and back

Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by MichielR
A State Department briefing states that as of May 26:

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...th-africa.html

This is, by the way, contradicted by the SAA website which specifically exempts DKR:

http://www.flysaa.com/za/en/planmytr...llowFever.html
I saw both of those - but that would apply to the IAD-JNB flight. What about the inverse?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I saw both of those - but that would apply to the IAD-JNB flight. What about the inverse?
I have done this flight dozens of time in both directions: you don't get off in DKR and you won't need a yellow fever certificate.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by evanb
I have done this flight dozens of time in both directions: you don't get off in DKR and you won't need a yellow fever certificate.
Ditto.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Flew IAD-DKR-JNB-DKR-IAD in December '13 / January '14. I was never asked for my Yellow Fever certificate (despite pretty extensive travel stamps in my passport including SE Asia).

You don't do anything in DKR except wake up and kill about an hour on the aircraft. I was in J and looked out the door since they use air stairs. The aircraft is cleaned and the crew changed.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
There are some good mile deals in J, for the IAD-DKR route, but when are J seats released? I have seen none, but the flight does price out at over $5,000 one way.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
There are some good mile deals in J, for the IAD-DKR route, but when are J seats released? I have seen none, but the flight does price out at over $5,000 one way.
One way pricing is by far the most expensive way to buy J tickets. Also, I wouldn't think they want to fill up the IAD-DKR segment with mileage tickets when they principally want to sell IAD-JNB or onwards. So my guess would be that they would only be released last minute if there's excess availability and no reasonable prospect of selling them any other way.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:25 pm

I have a similar question as well only I'm based out of NYC and Im debating trekking down to IAD for the better seats. Are the seats sufficiently better.to merit flying down to IAD and adding the longer flight due to the connections vs jfk?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by Anlun
I have a similar question as well only I'm based out of NYC and Im debating trekking down to IAD for the better seats. Are the seats sufficiently better.to merit flying down to IAD and adding the longer flight due to the connections vs jfk?
Definitely not. Not only will you have to transit at IAD, but the IAD-JNB flight stops in DDS or ACC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.