Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Smoking Lounge
Reload this Page >

Consolidated list of airports allowing airside smoking [see post 140]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club

Just curious to see if we can compile a list of airports with somewhere, anywhere , you can smoke after passing through security. Occasionally you come across a little gem which is not well advertised. (For me, I see no added effort in posting airports by name, as opposed to the code)

Shannon (there is an outside smoking area)
Hamburg (A couple of enclosures) Could be the norm for the larger German Airports?
Amsterdam (At least one enclosure - near terminal H)
Madrid (At least one enclosure - Terminal 3?!)

I haven't found any in Italy, UK, US or France.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
Moderator note: Please see post #140 for the updated list of airports allowing airside smoking.
Also see this spreadsheet prepared by member twospirits listing Airport Smoking Areas. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

According to this link by travelpost.com

Domestic:
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Atlanta
Cincinnati
Denver
Detroit
Greensboro
Gulfport/Biloxi
HNL/OGG (Hawaii)
LA (nowhere I know of though!)
Louisville
Milwaukee
Raleigh Durham
Salt Lake City
Tampa
Washington Dulles

Int'l:
London
Paris
Munich
Frankfurt
Rome
Barcelona
Copenhagen

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 9, 2012 at 10:46 pm Reason: To list spreadsheet referred-to later in the thread
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:11 am

I believe LA is terminal 6, United.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by skylady
Also, T3: there's a little garden thingy (glass walls to the interior and open to the sky with some plants to make it look nice) in the middle of the hallway near the See's Candy store.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
Wonderbret's excellent research indicates London Heathrow and Paris CDG. Does anyone know where? I'm in these places pretty frequently and haven't come across any.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
Also, T3: there's a little garden thingy (glass walls to the interior and open to the sky with some plants to make it look nice) in the middle of the hallway near the See's Candy store.
I thought there were signs all over the doors to that area that said "no smoking" now?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Ah, quite possibly. It's been a year since I was through there.

Though what it otherwise would be used for is somewhat beyond me...a nice place to sit and enjoy the L.A. smog, perhaps?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
LOL That's exactly what I was thinking.

I just went through there last month, so it may be a recent change (or maybe I didn't read the signs correctly)
Old Aug 4, 2009, 3:25 am

Programs: LH KL PC
Airports that I remember have smoking rooms or cubes :

BKK
CMB
DME (but it's been years since I've been there)
DUS (inside business lounge)
EZE
FRA
HKG
HKT
JNB
MAD (T4)
MUC
VIE
ZRH
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by CityRules
Wonderbret's excellent research indicates London Heathrow and Paris CDG. Does anyone know where? I'm in these places pretty frequently and haven't come across any.
There is something about either Galleries First or the Concorde Room in T5 having an outside terrace which you can smoke on... not 100% sure though, it's just something I recall seeing in passing... I think it's GF though.

Of course, to access those you need to be flying BA from T5 and be travelling in F (for either) or be a oneworld emerald (for Galleries First).

Reading the post you refer to, it reads to me as though it was written before the ban came in in England on smoking on public places. Prior to that ban, smoking areas were available and the situation was as described - now they aren't. LHR's own information makes that clear: http://tinyurl.com/nbrcv5
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:18 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Originally Posted by CityRules
There is an outdoor smoking area (airside) in CDG T3. Not very useful unless you're flying charter, however...
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

LHR info is out of date - no smoking except outside departures I'm afraid.

EZE (Buenos Aires) re-instated a smoking room due to public demand. Other ones I recently used have already been mentioned.
AMS - Crown Lounge I was in also had a sealed smoking area which was super with television and refreshments - almost like a mini lounge. BKK TG F lounge also has a smoking room inside it.
If I remember any I shall post.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Charlotte if you have access to the club; it is the club between C & D/E.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: US Platinum, HH Diamond
San Jose CA, in the old terminal where US Airways is located. Just past security, in the corridor before the gates start is a door to a small fenced-in viewing area where smoking is allowed. You can even go up a fire escape to the second level.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:44 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
smoking at iad (ua): two "rooms". one by gate c4 and one near gate d30 and if you have the time, avoid the one at c-4 from around 3pm-6pm as it is small with lousy ventilation and becomes a sardine can due ua's departing europe flights

smoking at phx (ua): the little walkway connecting to/from the ux "remote terminal"

Originally Posted by skylady
sadly, the t6 outside smoking patio had been closed for over a year

there is also some good info from this thread over in the ua forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ua-thread.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.