Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Smoking Lounge
Reload this Page >

Airports with convenient/inconvenient outdoor (landside/pre-security) smoking areas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports with convenient/inconvenient outdoor (landside/pre-security) smoking areas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat

Would this be a welcomed thread on this forum? Although the vast majority of US airports, of course, have no post-security smoking areas, I have noticed a big difference in how conveniently located the pre-security smoking areas are at different airports. Here are some examples I’m familiar with:

Convenient:
DCA - designated smoking area outside every door on upper level departures, and outside almost every door on lower level baggage claim

RIC - smoking permitted a few feet outside every door on both upper and lower levels. Benches readily available in these areas next to butt receptacles.

Inconvenient:
CLT - designated smoking areas on both levels are only at the far end of the terminal building. No-smoking signs everywhere else.

OKC - smoking areas only on lower level, about 100 feet from the farthest door on each end. No-smoking signs everywhere else (including the entire upper level) but the rule is widely ignored based on the number of cigarette butts I see outside the Delta ticket counter!

What are some other examples?
cad-spe likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: skymiles
TPE, NRT, and ICN have smoking rooms inside the terminal, and they are usually very, very crowded. Most of the people seem to be local airport workers. MNL has smoking rooms as well, and some on the lower levels of the International terminal are crowded at all, but a little tricky to find. HKT, last I checked had a very dirty smoking lounge located behind a ramen shop, although likely to have changed with the new international terminal and a renno of the old terminal, which is not domestic. For BKK and DMK outside msoking is permitted, although there are signs prohibiting it, most people don't care.

PDX, SEA and MDW have inconvenient smoking areas outside their terminals, and it requires one to go through security.

Those are the only airports Itravel.

Information is accurate as of 2017, unless otherwise noted.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Inconvenient landside

PHX ... outside from Reclaim and about 200 yards on the left.

HNL ... across the street outside Reclaim. Hard to spot!

OGG ... across the street by the parking lot.

LHR T5 ... kerb-side shelters at each end of the building.

LGW(S] ... outside across the street.

JER ... minority interest, but outside at both Departures and Arrivals.

LCY ... decent smoking area outside Departures.

Good airside ...

MLA ... Airside both for non-status pax outside the cafe, and outside the La Vallette Lounge.

CPT ... Airside for International flights, smoking Lounge with Bar and loads of power points!!

Last edited by T8191; Mar 12, 2018 at 1:45 pm Reason: Excluding airside, which I had already covered on the relevant Threads.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hilton, IHG, JetBlue, AA, Delta, Southwest
MHT has smoking areas inside the terminal (I believe on in each terminal)

CHS are outside but if you are flying out of terminal B (there are only two terminals) its real easy access and in the median across from drop off/baggage claim.

ATL has smoking areas in all but one terminal. Each is in a bar and you have to buy something. Can't even tell you how many free drinks I've gotten from other smokers who didn't have time for a drink but had to buy one.

SEA if I recall has inconvenient locations at each end of the outside area.

BOS is anywhere outside baggage claim and because of security times, probably no good.

JFK I believe is also at each end of terminal outside.

Flying to RSW this week and will try to remember to post an update afterwards.

Last edited by NHGail; Mar 10, 2018 at 4:28 pm Reason: To add more detail
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Moderator note:

Thank you all for your posts ^ but please remember that this thread is about outdoor/landside/pre-security airport smoking areas but should you have information about airport smoking areas which are airside, please feel free to start a new thread

*I've modified the thread title to effect this

Thanks

goalie
Smoking Lounge Co-Moderator
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ooops ... sorry!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by T8191
Ooops ... sorry!
No worries at all and if you'd like, feel free to start two threads about the two airside locations you mentioned in your post
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
No worries at all and if you'd like, feel free to start two threads about the two airside locations you mentioned in your post
Ha! Both done last year ... one update (MLA) and one new Thread [CPT, which nobody has commented on!].

I try to help
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
LHR T-2A. Smoking area atop the parking garage with a walkway from the elevators to T-2A.

BHD (Belfast City Airport) Small smoking area outside the main entrance to the terminal building.

bj-21.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:16 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
SIN has convenient smoking rooms inside the terminals
TPE has smoking rooms inside the terminal - small and crowded. Could use better exhaust fans.
DEL, BOM, HYD, COK, TRV (most airports in India) all have smoking rooms inside the terminals
AUH, DOH have smoking rooms inside the terminal

Inconvenient:
CDG has one tiny smoking booth for incoming passengers in Terminal F. All other terminals - you have to exit the building, and re-enter through immigration and customs. Visa needed to exit the building.
LHR - total ban inside the terminal. Visa needed to exit the building.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:25 am

LAS

Terminal 3 has outside (curbside) smoking areas in front of every other door and the ones by the doors to the terminal in front of the security checkpoint give you a good view of the security lines so you can watch to see how long/short they are
lowmiles likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:09 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
DME

Landside outside the main terminal building. No smoking inside or airside.

Inconvenient due to having to re-clear security to get inside the terminal. No shelters regardless of weather.

​​​​​​​S
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PHL

Outside the A gates, north side, over the bridge by the rail station and taxi pickup point.

* I’m sure I had posted this before.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yrs
SIN has convenient smoking rooms inside the terminals
TPE has smoking rooms inside the terminal - small and crowded. Could use better exhaust fans.
DEL, BOM, HYD, COK, TRV (most airports in India) all have smoking rooms inside the terminals
AUH, DOH have smoking rooms inside the terminal

Inconvenient:
CDG has one tiny smoking booth for incoming passengers in Terminal F. All other terminals - you have to exit the building, and re-enter through immigration and customs. Visa needed to exit the building.
LHR - total ban inside the terminal. Visa needed to exit the building.

LHR T4 has a smoking area in the departure area. Clearly signposted.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
GSO easy access w/benches outside of departure level w/fast (and friendly) TSA screening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.