Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Smoking Lounge
Reload this Page >

Smoking outside airports (outdoors) / designated smoking areas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 20, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Designated Smoking Areas and Smoking Restrictions

U.S.A. resources:

Link to PDF: "Smoking Policies in the 35 Busiest U.S. Airports" (Rev. 4 Apr 2016, Americans Nonsmokers Rughts Foundation): useful listing of major U.S. airport smoking policies, now including e-cigarette use and listing of smoking areas.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold

Anyone get as annoyed as I do about airports (STL, DTW, BOS coming to mind) that are absolutely ridiculous with their smoking areas, even when outside?

I find it hilarious that EWR has all the no smoking signs up outside the terminals but then as ashtrays everywhere.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I still find it absolutely unconscionable that LAX has those wonderful patios sitting empty and forces smokers to go outside, burden everyone coming in and out of the doors, and increase security lines.

I just don't get what the problem was with these patios. No employee had to endure second hand smoke as ashtrays were cleaned during overnight hours when no one else was around.

Hopefully if the olympics return to LA in 2024, there will be some accommodations made for smokers.

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Mar 1, 2016 at 11:37 pm Reason: 2024, not 2014
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Honolulu is pretty awful for smoking areas as well. With all the breezeways available past security, with trade winds blowing through, and a lovely outdoor garden down below, there is no smoking allowed "curb to cabin." The outdoor smoking areas after exiting security is a good walk away from the terminal, with no shade or rain protection.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
I actually took a photo of the Maui airport (OGG) smoking area last year, and wish I could find it. It's about 4 feet x 4 feet square, a small painted area in the parking lot, across the street from the terminal. No bench, no overhead cover from sun or rain. About two people could stand side by side in it.

Edited... found the photo: http://img.dotphoto.com/i/m/2295BAD6.../262468746.jpg

Last edited by BarbiJKM; Sep 5, 2015 at 3:51 pm Reason: add photo link
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I actually took a photo of the Maui airport (OGG) smoking area last year, and wish I could find it. It's about 4 feet x 4 feet square, a small painted area in the parking lot, across the street from the terminal. No bench, no overhead cover from sun or rain. About two people could stand side by side in it.

Edited... found the photo: http://img.dotphoto.com/i/m/2295BAD6.../262468746.jpg
Oh God, I remember both that and the HNL area now that you guys mention it. After getting of a 9 hour flight, recovering luggage, etc I found it more than mildly annoying to have to lug all my crap to these spots to finally have a smoke. God bless many European and Asian airports....at least once you crack passport control you can find a smoking room in the airport.

Last edited by Cargojon; Feb 27, 2016 at 7:26 pm
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Oh God, I remember both that and the HNL area now that you guys mention it. After getting of a 9 hour flight, recovering luggage, etc I found it more than mildly annoying to have to lug all my crap to these spots to finally have a smoke. God bless many European and Asian airports....at least once to crack passport control you can find a smoking room in the airport.
Bolding mine: If you have locations you'd like to share, please feel free to start a new thread(s)

goalie
Smoking Lounge Co-Moderator
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:46 am

SEA. Has a smoking area at the north end of the terminal. At least they put a canopy up so there is no need to stand in the rain!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

I've had a few trips to DEN over Q3 and Q4 of 2015. When I arrive, I don't both with the smoking lounge, I just go outside.

Have gotten yelled at twice by employees (not sure what capacity they were, but definitely not police) that I had to walk out beyond all the shuttle / pickup / taxi lanes. I'm like .... I got about 3 lanes out to the rental car shuttle line (which is where I was headed anyway) and lit up. I never understood the problem with smoking outdoors.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cargojon
I've had a few trips to DEN over Q3 and Q4 of 2015. When I arrive, I don't both with the smoking lounge, I just go outside.

Have gotten yelled at twice by employees (not sure what capacity they were, but definitely not police) that I had to walk out beyond all the shuttle / pickup / taxi lanes. I'm like .... I got about 3 lanes out to the rental car shuttle line (which is where I was headed anyway) and lit up. I never understood the problem with smoking outdoors.
Not had that issue ever outside DEN airport.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
My question is for EWR. Inbound to EWR on UA arriving at ~7:10a and then my outbound flight is at 9:20a Is it humanly possible to scoot off the flight assuming it's on time/early (sans baggage and carryons) to get out of security, have a smoke or four and get back in thru security and to the gate for the 9:20a flight. I have PreCheck and I'm traveling in F if that matters at all with timing/making it. Cause from 5:30a EST to 4:30p HST (which is 9:30p EST) is a hell of a long ride...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by meech
SEA. Has a smoking area at the north end of the terminal. At least they put a canopy up so there is no need to stand in the rain!
There's one at the south end, too! @:-)

Can still be quite the hike to either side
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FBWFTW
My question is for EWR. Inbound to EWR on UA arriving at ~7:10a and then my outbound flight is at 9:20a Is it humanly possible to scoot off the flight assuming it's on time/early (sans baggage and carryons) to get out of security, have a smoke or four and get back in thru security and to the gate for the 9:20a flight. I have PreCheck and I'm traveling in F if that matters at all with timing/making it. Cause from 5:30a EST to 4:30p HST (which is 9:30p EST) is a hell of a long ride...
All things being equal, you should have plenty of time as I've actually done that at EWR where (with the help of Precheck) I've gone "out and in" in 20 minutes but....

take a look at this thread as you may have issues so best to see what the lines look like before you exit

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by FBWFTW
if you go out the doors by c1 screening you can go out the doors and smoke there while watching the line. this way if it starts to get crowded you can always cut the smoke break short and make your way to the precheck line earlier.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:23 am

I've been thru EWR only 2x-once was pmCO hop to BOS and the second was an inbound on B6. But I damn well remember that line at EWR for pmCO. I'll be cautious for sure-hopefully the
T(housands) S(tanding) A(round) will get it sorted by then. Our return flight may have a terminal change (UA 764 to a UX E145 yuck!)
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by goalie
All things being equal, you should have plenty of time as I've actually done that at EWR where (with the help of Precheck) I've gone "out and in" in 20 minutes but....

take a look at this thread as you may have issues so best to see what the lines look like before you exit

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
That thread was EXACTLY why I posted over here! It's horrible that places like LAX/HNL and a few others have outdoor spots post security and won't let people smoke if they want... Drives me NUTS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.