FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoking Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smoking-lounge-748/)
-   -   UK / London / Airports / LHR [No airside smoking] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smoking-lounge/1696130-uk-london-airports-lhr-no-airside-smoking.html)

FF333 Aug 15, 14 3:42 am

UK / London / Airports / LHR [No airside smoking]
 
After the departure security check, turn left (duty free area), watch our for Burberry on your left. After Burberry's on your left there is an escalator going down. You go down two floors and there is a smoking area. I discovered this three weeks ago. (If I remember correctly, there is a small sign "smoking area" before the first escalator.

WHAT A RELIEF:)!!!!

greg288 Aug 16, 14 4:18 am


Originally Posted by FF333 (Post 23367547)
After the departure security check, turn left (duty free area), watch our for Burberry on your left. After Burberry's on your left there is an escalator going down. You go down two floors and there is a smoking area. I discovered this three weeks ago. (If I remember correctly, there is a small sign "smoking area" before the first escalator.

WHAT A RELIEF:)!!!!

I can confirm this from a couple months ago. I arrived at a different terminal, cleared customs and went outside for a smoke. Took the Heathrow express to T4 to wait for my next flight and found the smoking area as described. Could have saved my time bothering with customs, but still had plenty of time to burn anyways.

stut Aug 18, 14 2:19 am

As the original thread this was posted on was several years old, and the information rather outdated, I've split the new posts (that weren't in response to the old thread) out, to continue a more recent discussion on the topic. Please continue smoke, vape, or even pop some snus under your top lip in this new thread.

stut
Moderator
UK & Ireland

bryanoneil Jun 1, 15 4:01 pm

As I know from experience, OP is talking about Terminal 4 (the post only says "LHR").

The T4 smoking area was indeed a very pleasant surprise, but I was wondering if any other terminals (particularly T5) have followed suit?

I've got a (tight) connection from T4 to T5 coming up and I'm considering between clearing customs to have a cig landside, asking the staff nicely to allow me into T4 for a cig (but this means clearing security twice - in both T4 and T5) or just proceeding to T5 and trying to survive.

UKtravelbear Jun 1, 15 5:26 pm


Originally Posted by FF333 (Post 23367547)
After the departure security check, turn left (duty free area), watch our for Burberry on your left. After Burberry's on your left there is an escalator going down. You go down two floors and there is a smoking area. I discovered this three weeks ago. (If I remember correctly, there is a small sign "smoking area" before the first escalator.

WHAT A RELIEF:)!!!!

Welcome to FT

Which terminal?

As unlike in many airports it is not generally possible to transfer between terminals airside unless you have a ticket for that terminal so access to this area will be limited

bryanoneil Jun 1, 15 11:48 pm


Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 24903696)
Welcome to FT

Which terminal?

As unlike in many airports it is not generally possible to transfer between terminals airside unless you have a ticket for that terminal so access to this area will be limited

It's T4 that he's talking about.

lhrsfo Jun 2, 15 9:09 am


Originally Posted by bryanoneil (Post 24903299)

I've got a (tight) connection from T4 to T5 coming up and I'm considering between clearing customs to have a cig landside, asking the staff nicely to allow me into T4 for a cig (but this means clearing security twice - in both T4 and T5) or just proceeding to T5 and trying to survive.

It's very unlikely that you would be allowed back into T4 for this purpose, so don't set your heart on it. Also, if the connection is tight, you would need more than one cig to get over the stress you would create for yourself by doing this.;)

DirkGently Jul 20, 15 3:43 am

UK / London / Airports / LHR
 
I'm so pleased this forum was given the go-ahead...

Anyway, I wanted to flag this up as there's a widespread view to the contrary that Heathrow is completely non-smoking airside.

It isn't. T4 has a smoking facility which is technically a confined outdoor area. Turn left after Security towards the Pret a Manger, the children's play area and the QR Lounge. The smoking area is down a couple of flights of stairs (there is an escalator heading up) and through a couple of sets of doors.

There is one of those smiley face machines as you enter and exit. I always make a point of hammering the "very happy" button several times in the hope that HAL will eventually see fit to find room for a similar facility in T5...

Cfmoose Jul 20, 15 8:59 am

Vaping in LHR
 
There's a vaping lounge in T4 I believe, but not in T5.
However, after a flip-flopping of policy (it was banned outright for some time), it is now officially permitted.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath.../smoking-areas

I would recommend the Crown Rivers (Wetherspoon) bar as the best place to vape in T5.

DirkGently Jul 21, 15 4:49 am

Yes, that link must rank as one of the most completely-unhelpful-but-just-about-technically-accurate comments I've read for a while. Anyone reading that would assume that once airside anywhere in Heathrow, you're stuffed if you want to light up. In T4 at least you're not but that's only because the smoking area can be classified as outside the terminal building.

Miss Thing Jul 27, 15 1:56 pm

Virgin Atlantic Lounge T3 landside or airside?
 
We have Upper Class flights so want to make full use of the Lounge. After getting there is there anyway of popping back out for a smoke?

UKtravelbear Jul 27, 15 8:52 pm

You would have to re-enter the UK via immigration and customs and leave the terminal and then re-clear security to re-enter airside.

Cargojon Aug 16, 15 5:57 pm

I've only been through LHR once in my life and have opted towards more smoker-friendly airports since to connect in Europe, but I'm curious is it possible to reach T4 from the other terminals without re-clearing security?

rwoman Sep 8, 15 8:58 am


Originally Posted by Cargojon (Post 25280494)
I've only been through LHR once in my life and have opted towards more smoker-friendly airports since to connect in Europe, but I'm curious is it possible to reach T4 from the other terminals without re-clearing security?

No. Airside or landside transfers require passing through security. In addition, I believe you'd need a BP for a flight departing T4.

N1120A Sep 15, 15 1:41 am

When I needed an escort out of T5 due to a misconnect, there was a mother and daughter who went out to smoke. BA will arrange an escort for that, but they recommend you tell the escort that you need "fresh air."


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:34 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.