Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors > Small Luxury Hotels (SLH)
Reload this Page >

The Carlin or Eichardt's Private Hotel in Queenstown

Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I am staying two days could be more in queenstown and was wondering which one would be the better experience. Carlin or Eichardt. Both are highly reviewed but I am not sure which one is more worth.

Thanks
Old May 19, 2023, 3:55 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
Originally Posted by uporito
Hi,

I am staying two days could be more in queenstown and was wondering which one would be the better experience. Carlin or Eichardt. Both are highly reviewed but I am not sure which one is more worth.

Thanks
disclaimer. I have not stayed in either.

However, have lived in town for a long time.
Eicharts, waterfront, great bar, good food, have been in the rooms a couple of times. It’s a classic.

carlin. On the hill. New money. Many issues with construction. It is currently for sale…
Old Aug 17, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
We stayed at Carlin a few months ago. No upgrade, room was ok but odd layout. Some service inconsistencies. If I go again I would stay at Eicharts.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Oh man, I just left Queenstown today having spent 3 nights there, and didn't think to look for Hyatts when I was making a reservation. Next time. tls
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:59 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
In case anyone is looking to stay at The Carlin before the SLH partnership ends, adding a DP that I had an excellent stay earlier this month.

I booked the lowest cost room (no points availability during peak summer season) and was upgraded to a 2 BR suite. I loved the hot tub and outdoor fireplace for relaxing in the evenings.

The breakfast menu was small, but everything I tried was tasty. My rate included a ~$90 USD credit for the restaurant; although this wasn't supposed to include alcohol, my meal + 2 glasses of wine were wiped from the final bill. During turndown service, they place a small box of sweet treats in the room which I enjoyed during the aforementioned evening hot tub/fireplace time. The minibar snacks and non-alcoholic items were complimentary and I thought the alcohol prices were reasonable.

My airport pick-up (also included in the rate) was seamless, but the vehicle was *just* a Mercedes SUV. I personally couldn't care less what type of vehicle picks me up, but some folks seemed very disappointed to not get the hotel Bentley.

Admittedly I had few interactions with the staff outside of meals/cocktail hour and check-in/check-out, but everything was handled professionally and to my satisfaction. Fabulous upgrade, great views, no complaints.

Last edited by shellyphl; Feb 17, 2024 at 8:01 am Reason: clarity
Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by shellyphl
In case anyone is looking to stay at The Carlin before the SLH partnership ends, adding a DP that I had an excellent stay earlier this month.

I booked the lowest cost room (no points availability during peak summer season) and was upgraded to a 2 BR suite. I loved the hot tub and outdoor fireplace for relaxing in the evenings.

The breakfast menu was small, but everything I tried was tasty. My rate included a ~$90 USD credit for the restaurant; although this wasn't supposed to include alcohol, my meal + 2 glasses of wine were wiped from the final bill. During turndown service, they place a small box of sweet treats in the room which I enjoyed during the aforementioned evening hot tub/fireplace time. The minibar snacks and non-alcoholic items were complimentary and I thought the alcohol prices were reasonable.

My airport pick-up (also included in the rate) was seamless, but the vehicle was *just* a Mercedes SUV. I personally couldn't care less what type of vehicle picks me up, but some folks seemed very disappointed to not get the hotel Bentley.

Admittedly I had few interactions with the staff outside of meals/cocktail hour and check-in/check-out, but everything was handled professionally and to my satisfaction. Fabulous upgrade, great views, no complaints.
Glad to hear it was such a great stay!

An excellent example of the wild inconsistencies between guest stays in SLH properties. We had no upgrade from base room booked on points, charged for airport pick-up/drop-off.

I, for one, will be thrilled once SLH is divorced from Hyatt and Mr/Mrs Smith is attached.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:41 pm

I had an okay stay here. Booked on points and we were offered an airport pickup (FWIW we got the Bentley though we're not car people so the brand didn't matter to us). Due to construction in the area right now, it's a little more difficult to walk to town as some roads in the area are closed completely with no thru access. I think the relative seclusion here is nice but if I had a choice between this and the Eichardt, I think I'd go with Eichardt. Eichardt also had the superior (by far) breakfast and location as with the construction it's about a 10-15 minute walk to downtown with an uphill climb on the way back.

There was also some really questionable design choices, at least in our room. The shower, as seems to be typical in NZ, has a half panel instead of a closable door and water gets all over the bathroom while showering as a result. We also had an issue one night where we couldn't turn off the bathroom lights (the "smart" lighting system seemed to be malfunctioning) and because the door to the bathroom is frosted glass and the lights are quite bright, it meant the bedroom was really bright at night.

On the plus side, the staff was super nice and helpful and the airport pickup is helpful. We also got a ride back to the airport when we departed (I guess maybe as an apology for some of the issues we faced) though I think this is not typically included.
Old May 26, 2024, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Clemson
I had an okay stay here. Booked on points and we were offered an airport pickup (FWIW we got the Bentley though we're not car people so the brand didn't matter to us). Due to construction in the area right now, it's a little more difficult to walk to town as some roads in the area are closed completely with no thru access. I think the relative seclusion here is nice but if I had a choice between this and the Eichardt, I think I'd go with Eichardt. Eichardt also had the superior (by far) breakfast and location as with the construction it's about a 10-15 minute walk to downtown with an uphill climb on the way back.

There was also some really questionable design choices, at least in our room. The shower, as seems to be typical in NZ, has a half panel instead of a closable door and water gets all over the bathroom while showering as a result. We also had an issue one night where we couldn't turn off the bathroom lights (the "smart" lighting system seemed to be malfunctioning) and because the door to the bathroom is frosted glass and the lights are quite bright, it meant the bedroom was really bright at night.

On the plus side, the staff was super nice and helpful and the airport pickup is helpful. We also got a ride back to the airport when we departed (I guess maybe as an apology for some of the issues we faced) though I think this is not typically included.
I would second the opinion of the post above. We have been at the Carlin for 4 nights and found it be shockingly overrated. Agree with the above re the staff: They were very nice and accommodating, but they are overworked because the hotel has cut corners and doesn't have enough staff. The hotel is resting on their laurels and all of the awards they got when they opened. Now, the level of service is nowhere near 5-stars because they have nowhere near the staff (including an experienced hotel manager) required for a hotel of this caliber. There is absolutely zero attention to detail.

For example:

Our room was downgraded without notice. No compensation. No apology.

Many things in the room did not work (eg fireplace, hot tub jets) or were just missing (eg. corkscrew/bottle opener despite mini bar being full of bottles that required an opener--when I asked for one, I was given one from the bar because no one seemed to know where to get one).

Housekeeping left two empty rolls of toilet paper next to the toilet; fortunately we had a second, connecting room!

Despite claims on the website and in the in-room brochure, there was no turn-down service, which after a full day out and about and a hot tub, is reasonably expected in a hotel of this cost/caliber (housekeeping generously brought some petit fours each night, but left all of the dirty towels and dishes in the room).

Fitness center was ignored for days (towels not replenished, bin with towels was filled with dirty towels for days, fridge with water never refilled).

The fans in the bathrooms don't work (in both of our rooms). The handle on one bathroom door was completely missing when we arrived, making it impossible to close the pocket door. It was fixed/put back when we mentioned it, but seriously? No bathroom door handle?

I could go on and on, but for this price, it was a shockingly disappointing experience and I feel quite ripped off.

EDIT: It appears that The Carlin is no longer a member of SLH:

https://slh.com/hotels/the-carlin-hotel

EDIT #2: The Carlin is in receivership and the owner, Kevin Carlin, died in December. Maybe that explains why every corner that could be cut has been cut!

https://crux.org.nz/crux-news/six-st...founders-death

Last edited by h8stn4d; May 26, 2024 at 10:20 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.