Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sowaka Kyoto - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I am Globalist, so my breakfast was included due to status.
Note that since this is SLH, ALL members will have breakfast included, regardless of status.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Note that since this is SLH, ALL members will have breakfast included, regardless of status.
So, does one need to book on the SLH or Hyatt websites to get breakfast? On the sowaka.com site itself, there are options to book room only, without meals (I would assume that also means without breakfast). For example,...

Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by jackiesyu
Was able to book 3 consecutive nights(actually 3 one-night reservations) using Hyatt points for May. So they do allow one night booking. I consider myself to be really really lucky. There are 5 of us in the trip although only 2 staying in this hotel, so I am asking the hotel whether they could accommodate for one dinner for all five of us. Any of you have experience with it? Thanks.
To answer my own question -- They were able to book the dinner for me, pretty easy and the tip to email reservation@ instead of info@ earlier was very useful!

I am not a globalist but they did confirm free breakfast for 2 people every day and upgrade if available.

Looking forward to the stay now.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:19 am

So, does one need to book on the SLH or Hyatt websites to get breakfast? On the sowaka.com site itself, there are options to book room only, without meals (I would assume that also means without breakfast). For example,...
I booked from Hyatt website as I am using Hyatt points. I think the upgrade and free breakfast is a Hyatt benefit at SLH(Paid using cash or points).
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:59 am

So, does one need to book on the SLH or Hyatt websites to get breakfast?
Originally Posted by jackiesyu
I booked from Hyatt website as I am using Hyatt points. I think the upgrade and free breakfast is a Hyatt benefit at SLH(Paid using cash or points).
This is correct. Using Hyatt booking channels to make reservations at SLH properties is the only way to get Hyatt benefits/points/nights/etc. at SLH properties.
jackiesyu likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is correct. Using Hyatt booking channels to make reservations at SLH properties is the only way to get Hyatt benefits/points/nights/etc. at SLH properties.
It seems fairly clear that the relationship between Hyatt and SLH is that Hyatt is more or less a commissioned OTA. The Hyatt points you get are a kickback of the commission.
CLEguy likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It seems fairly clear that the relationship between Hyatt and SLH is that Hyatt is more or less a commissioned OTA. The Hyatt points you get are a kickback of the commission.
Yes. SLH is basically a marketing brand, and its tie-up with Hyatt is functionally identical to the structure pioneered in the SPG / Design Hotels relationship. Starwood, of course, later acquired Design Hotels, but as far as I know it remains a loose marketing affiliation.

It also explains why, on a relative basis, points costs at SLH are so much higher: Hyatt is likely paying much closer to normal rates rather than its standard for those hotels in its "normal" brands.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Also, Hyatt's cash rates at SLH are almost always rack rates and the rates on SLH's own website or directly with the hotel are usually significantly cheaper. I ended my previously canceling my Hyatt booking and rebooking directly with the Hotel. This was back in Nov 2020, when they still had GotoTravel promo of 40% off. Booking with Hyatt didn't qualify and when they quoted me their own rates, even without the 40% off, it was silly to use Hyatt to book (unless you really need the nights - points at the given valuation make no sense).
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by porphyra
Also, Hyatt's cash rates at SLH are almost always rack rates and the rates on SLH's own website or directly with the hotel are usually significantly cheaper. I ended my previously canceling my Hyatt booking and rebooking directly with the Hotel. This was back in Nov 2020, when they still had GotoTravel promo of 40% off. Booking with Hyatt didn't qualify and when they quoted me their own rates, even without the 40% off, it was silly to use Hyatt to book (unless you really need the nights - points at the given valuation make no sense).
but if you book on the hotel's website, will you still have free breakfast and potential room upgrades from SLH?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by czcat
but if you book on the hotel's website, will you still have free breakfast and potential room upgrades from SLH?
Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Apr 14, 2023, 12:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by czcat
The breakfast inclusive rate was the one I was comparing which is significantly cheaper. Maybe no potential upgrade, but usually the SLH properties I have stayed with have always been rather full so no upgrades are forthcoming anyways. I wouldn't put much stock in the upgrade piece of the Hyatt bookings. I would only go there if you really needed the nights (and maybe points - but again do the math!).
Old Aug 21, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: as
DP reservations Sowaka

Just a DP....got thru for dinner reservations at Sowaka in less than twelve hours by using OP mentioned email address: [email protected]

Several prompt emails back and forth. That's the way to go!!!

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.