Tabacon Thermal Resort and Spa (Costa Rica)

Old Jul 3, 2023, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by fieldfreen
Hey there,

Just wrapped up a 2 day stay at Tabacon.

We left Andaz Papagayo around 8 am on a Saturday and made it in about 2 hr and 30 minutes. We did this for a couple reasons the first was to get some extra time in the springs and the other was to avoid the traffic entering Liberia and turning onto Inter American Hwy. 1.
The roads are paved for all but two stretches of a few miles each. These parts are by the wind turbines. Just like other parts of CR be prepared to pass slower traffic along the way.
Arriving at Tabacon around 10:30 am our room wasn't ready yet but they were happy to let us enjoy the springs until then. No real Globalist benefits and they did offer a paid upgrade of $200 USD per night for a Tabacon suite, which we accepted. Probably wouldn't do this again.
We also had to pay a 3rd adult fee for our teenager with us.
Had lunch on the springs side, nothing to write home about but was good.
Our room ended up being in building 6 which is convenient to the lobby but had a pretty average view. I believe building 3 has the volcano views. I did see a monkey within the first hour from the balcony and the highlight was several Toucans the following morning.
Breakfast buffet is free for all guests and was good. Had a omelette and waffle/pancake station. Be careful they had 4 types of syrups for the waffles/pancakes and I poured what I thought was maple syrup on mine which turned out to be honey. That wasn't a good combo.
Outrageous mini bar prices so stock up at the first mini mart on the way into to La Fortuna. It will be on the right. There is also an incredible spot right next to it to get pics of the volcano. You'll know when you see it.

If you're strictly heading to the area to enjoy the springs, I think 1 night is a sweet spot. I would recommend doing what we did, arrive early and stay until room is ready. Head back in the twilight and transition to darkness, then come back the following morning during the hotel guest only time between 8-10 am. I felt that was more then enough time to experience the springs. Of course if you plan on doing more stuff in the La Fortuna area then you'll probably need more then one night to do it all.

Overall I think it's a one and done experience but wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

If you have any specific question, I'd be happy to answer them.
weve been twice and will return, stay for at least two nights, more likely three.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:48 am

We didn't get late checkout either. I agree with iahphx, I don't think it's a money grab per se, just them doing exactly what they are contractually obligated to do (they did this well though IMO). The extra adult (age 12+) in room fee, is a little egregious but isn't hidden or anything at time of booking.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
weve been twice and will return, stay for at least two nights, more likely three.
beachfan this is awesome, I hope you have a wonderful time. We really enjoyed the experience and La Fortuna.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fieldfreen
We didn't get late checkout either. I agree with iahphx, I don't think it's a money grab per se, just them doing exactly what they are contractually obligated to do (they did this well though IMO). The extra adult (age 12+) in room fee, is a little egregious but isn't hidden or anything at time of booking.
When you ask for the Globalist late check out, it would be nice if they faked interest in helping you by at least pretending to make a few key strokes on the computer keyboard.

If anyone ever gets late checkout, let us know. Maybe there could be a truly off-season day when there are almost no incoming guests?
Old Jul 6, 2023, 3:34 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
When you ask for the Globalist late check out, it would be nice if they faked interest in helping you by at least pretending to make a few key strokes on the computer keyboard.
Why? This is not a Hyatt property and Glob status is meaningless here.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:06 pm

No awards nights available?

A few weeks ago I was able to find abundant award space and now, nothing. I reached out to hotel. They tell me reach out to Hyatt. I reached out to Hyatt via chat, they say reach out to hotel. Shocking, I know. I sent an email to world of Hyatt. Anyone else finding availability? I see plenty of dates with orchid king room available with cash, but not points. That is the lowest room type and very same one popping up weeks ago. Per Hyatt terms, SLH has no blackout dates for participating hotels when standard room type available. This place playing games?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 6:37 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Rgraffia87
A few weeks ago I was able to find abundant award space and now, nothing. I reached out to hotel. They tell me reach out to Hyatt. I reached out to Hyatt via chat, they say reach out to hotel. Shocking, I know. I sent an email to world of Hyatt. Anyone else finding availability? I see plenty of dates with orchid king room available with cash, but not points. That is the lowest room type and very same one popping up weeks ago. Per Hyatt terms, SLH has no blackout dates for participating hotels when standard room type available. This place playing games?
No games. SLH properties are free to offer award space or not. From the T&Cs ...

"
Standard-Room Free Night Awards. Please note that at some Participating SLH Properties, standard-room inventory available for Free Night Awards may be limited (emphasis added), but there are no black-out dates at Participating SLH Properties."

and

"Some properties that otherwise qualify as a Participating SLH Property for purposes of these SLH Terms do not have standard rooms or otherwise do not participate in the redemption of Free Night Awards and, as a result, no Program award of any kind is redeemable at such properties (unless otherwise specified by Hyatt in other terms and conditions applicable to a particular award)."
Old Sep 5, 2023, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by skj
No games. SLH properties are free to offer award space or not. From the T&Cs ...

"
Standard-Room Free Night Awards. Please note that at some Participating SLH Properties, standard-room inventory available for Free Night Awards may be limited (emphasis added), but there are no black-out dates at Participating SLH Properties."

and

"Some properties that otherwise qualify as a Participating SLH Property for purposes of these SLH Terms do not have standard rooms or otherwise do not participate in the redemption of Free Night Awards and, as a result, no Program award of any kind is redeemable at such properties (unless otherwise specified by Hyatt in other terms and conditions applicable to a particular award)."
So then the question is, what is considered a standard room? If 5 room types are listed, and orchid King is the lowest category, and that VERY room type was abundantly available before, but not now, then are they not in violation? Can a hotel just decide they want to redefine what a standard room is? Yet reap the benefits of the exposure of the Hyatt partnership? To me, that's bogus. Now if it's a 7 room property where they are all villas, thereby no "standard room" exists at the property, then I understand that term. But I don't feel like this is the case with Tabacon. So again, can they just redefine what a standard room is?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
We have an upcoming stay at this hotel on points but need to move our dates, and unfortunately I'm finding the same thing - no point stays available. The cash rate has come down to a reasonable price, though, so points aren't a good value like they were when I booked at 17k points a few months ago.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison
We have an upcoming stay at this hotel on points but need to move our dates, and unfortunately I'm finding the same thing - no point stays available. The cash rate has come down to a reasonable price, though, so points aren't a good value like they were when I booked at 17k points a few months ago.
Crazy thing is, when I pressed a bit for some details, they have stopped responding. I have communicated with them on another occasion and they have always been prompt on replies. Even my initial inquiry about this was a prompt response. But when I responded asking for some more specific, crickets. To me, further supports that this hotel knows they are playing games.

I have also sent an email to world of Hyatt. We'll see if that goes anywhere....
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:18 pm

Crazy thing is, when I pressed a bit for some details, they have stopped responding. I have communicated with them on another occasion and they have always been prompt on replies. Even my initial inquiry about this was a prompt response. But when I responded asking for some more specific, crickets. To me, further supports that this hotel knows they are playing games.

I have also sent an email to world of Hyatt. We'll see if that goes anywhere....
My efforts have gone no where. The hotel tell me Hyatt delegates what rooms are bookable by points (which I find impossible to believe) and consistently points me back to Hyatt. Hyatt barely responds and when they do, it's truly of zero use. Likely just giving up on points bookings here for now.... sigh
Old Sep 21, 2023, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My efforts have gone no where. The hotel tell me Hyatt delegates what rooms are bookable by points (which I find impossible to believe) and consistently points me back to Hyatt. Hyatt barely responds and when they do, it's truly of zero use. Likely just giving up on points bookings here for now.... sigh
Recently ran into a SLH hotel offering in Bariloche, Argentina I was interested in. It's on the Hyatt website, but doesn't seem to actually offer any rooms (paid or award) on that website. I was going to look further, because the hotel looks nice, but given the current screwball currency game in Argentina, it probably wouldn't make sense for me to use my points there anyway. Hyatt should do a better job with these phantom properties. That said, Choice was listing Spanish hotels on their website for 2 years when you couldn't book any of them.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Recently ran into a SLH hotel offering in Bariloche, Argentina I was interested in. It's on the Hyatt website, but doesn't seem to actually offer any rooms (paid or award) on that website. I was going to look further, because the hotel looks nice, but given the current screwball currency game in Argentina, it probably wouldn't make sense for me to use my points there anyway. Hyatt should do a better job with these phantom properties. That said, Choice was listing Spanish hotels on their website for 2 years when you couldn't book any of them.
See and to me this is bogus. Like the hotel gets to enjoy the exposure but flex on the terms. I get that it's just a partnership, but there should be some more accountability rather than finger pointing. Why be visible on a website with standard rooms that, per terms, should be bookable with points, yet that isn't so. So frustrating. I'll remain hopeful over the next few months, this will sort itself, and points rooms will be made available all while pursuing another option.
iahphx likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:26 pm

See and to me this is bogus. Like the hotel gets to enjoy the exposure but flex on the terms. I get that it's just a partnership, but there should be some more accountability rather than finger pointing. Why be visible on a website with standard rooms that, per terms, should be bookable with points, yet that isn't so. So frustrating. I'll remain hopeful over the next few months, this will sort itself, and points rooms will be made available all while pursuing another option.
FYI I had noticed the same thing but just ran some searches and rooms appear to be available again for redemptions.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin
FYI I had noticed the same thing but just ran some searches and rooms appear to be available again for redemptions.
I'm seeing the same thing! 2 queen appears bookable with points now. A nice way to wake up this AM
iahphx and Teddy Ruxpin like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.