Karuizawa Prince Hotel East

Old Feb 14, 22, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Karuizawa Prince Hotel East

The SLH hotel Karuizawa Prince Hotel East is now available for booking via Hyatt.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ja...tel-east/hndyk

A bit pricy for a Cat 6, but it has a nice onsen, and is MUCH easier to get to for skiing purposes than Park Hyatt Niseko.
Old Feb 19, 22, 4:40 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Sapphire, MB Titanium, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Spire Amb, HHonors Dia
Not a skier but stayed here recently to cut an 8 h road trip in winter conditions to two shorter segments. Arrived on a weekday evening and left the next day before noon. It was the best points option in town as Marriott and Curio/Hilton were far more expensive and the new Indigo not open yet. Some points:

- The hotel is very conveniently located in walking distance from the Karuizawa Shinkansen Station, just beside the outlet centre.
- If youre a skier the ski lift starting just outside the hotel entrance is for sure a great plus.
- If you come by car its JPY 1,000 parking fees per night to be paid at the machine at the parking lot entrance. You can use the parking lot until 10pm at the day of your check out.
- I reserved the 32m2 Forrest Twin for three adults and got the same room. The 42m2 Corner Forrest Twin was neither available during booking process nor at the day of check in. The hotel has also larger cottages but those seem not to be included in the SLH/Hyatt room pool.
- Booking through Hyatt we got complimentary breakfast for all three of us at the main restaurant Karuizawa Grill. No buffet. Choice btw Japanese or American morning set. You need to chose the time you want to eat during check in. The restaurant was quite full at 8am.
- Next to the reception there is a small lounge where guests can get complimentary hot and cold soft drinks 24 hrs.
- The room service menu was in fact the menu of the Pizza-La pizza delivery service located a few kms away from the hotel.
- We experienced a few small service lapses during the stay. We asked for a Ramen place in the vicinity and were sent to a place 10 minutes away by car which was closed that day. Further, I asked for some tea spoons to be brought to our room and it took two calls and more than 30 minutes to get them.
- The price for the stay was approximately the same as it would have been if I had booked a room for three adults with breakfast through Prince Hotels.
hailstorm likes this.
Old Feb 19, 22, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by shonanroger View Post
Not a skier but stayed here recently to cut an 8 h road trip in winter conditions to two shorter segments. Arrived on a weekday evening and left the next day before noon. It was the best points option in town as Marriott and Curio/Hilton were far more expensive and the new Indigo not open yet.
Thanks for the report, which is the first I've seen from someone booking via Hyatt.

It's interesting that breakfast was included with a Hyatt points reservation, as It was my impression that Globalist benefits were not extended during stays at SLH hotels. I assume that your stay was on a weekday? During weekends and holidays, they generally open up the Porto buffet restaurant next to the hotel for breakfast as an additional option. Porto has possibly the best karaage I've ever had at a breakfast buffet.

I didn't see it mentioned in your report, but were you able to use the hotel onsen with this rate?

It is interesting that you were recommended a ramen place so far off site when there is actually pretty good ramen within the food court in the Prince Shopping Plaza. The onsite shuttle busses would take you from the hotel front right to the food court.
Old Feb 19, 22, 9:23 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Sapphire, MB Titanium, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Spire Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
Thanks for the report, which is the first I've seen from someone booking via Hyatt.

It's interesting that breakfast was included with a Hyatt points reservation, as It was my impression that Globalist benefits were not extended during stays at SLH hotels. I assume that your stay was on a weekday? During weekends and holidays, they generally open up the Porto buffet restaurant next to the hotel for breakfast as an additional option. Porto has possibly the best karaage I've ever had at a breakfast buffet.

I didn't see it mentioned in your report, but were you able to use the hotel onsen with this rate?

It is interesting that you were recommended a ramen place so far off site when there is actually pretty good ramen within the food court in the Prince Shopping Plaza. The onsite shuttle busses would take you from the hotel front right to the food court.
It was a paid stay on a weekday night. I was surprised that the breakfast benefit was extended to the 3rd adult. However, complimentary (continental) breakfast for up to two guests is a benefit at SLH stays via Hyatt regardless of your Hyatt status.

My experience when booking SLH hotels via Hyatt with points is that you need to pay additional charges (in many cases not only breakfast) for the third person. Last year I cancelled a stay at Noboroji Nara after they quoted JPY 14,547 per night additional charges for a third person.

We were able to use the Onsen. That is, I never stayed at a Japanese hotel or ryokan where no access to Onsen was given depending on the rate. Is this a policy at Prince Karuizawa East
when booking through Prince?
Old Feb 20, 22, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shonanroger View Post
We were able to use the Onsen. That is, I never stayed at a Japanese hotel or ryokan where no access to Onsen was given depending on the rate. Is this a policy at Prince Karuizawa East
when booking through Prince?
The Karuizawa Prince Resort is a bit complex, with six separate entites: Prince Karuizawa East, Prince Karuizawa East Cottages, Prince Karuizawa West, Prince Karuizawa West Cottages, The Prince Karuizawa, and The Prince Karuizawa Villas.

The Prince Karuizawa and The Prince Karuizawa Villa guests are all allowed access to the Prince Karuizawa East onsen, but for the Cottage guests, onsen access is generally not included unless they are paying a special rate that specifically includes it. The Prince Karuizawa West opened its own separate onsen last year, but it is only included for guests staying in the Prince Karuizawa West Premium Wing of the hotel.

With all that said, it was always my understanding that everyone staying at the Prince Karuizawa East hotel building could use the onsen, so it's good to confirm that this remains the case for Hyatt booked guests as well.
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:06 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
The Karuizawa Prince Resort is a bit complex, with six separate entites: Prince Karuizawa East, Prince Karuizawa East Cottages, Prince Karuizawa West, Prince Karuizawa West Cottages, The Prince Karuizawa, and The Prince Karuizawa Villas.

The Prince Karuizawa and The Prince Karuizawa Villa guests are all allowed access to the Prince Karuizawa East onsen, but for the Cottage guests, onsen access is generally not included unless they are paying a special rate that specifically includes it. The Prince Karuizawa West opened its own separate onsen last year, but it is only included for guests staying in the Prince Karuizawa West Premium Wing of the hotel.

With all that said, it was always my understanding that everyone staying at the Prince Karuizawa East hotel building could use the onsen, so it's good to confirm that this remains the case for Hyatt booked guests as well.
how are the onsens? Whata the approximate price for ski rental and lift tickets?

Search this Thread