Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt > Small Luxury Hotels (SLH)
Reload this Page >

Hotel Opus XVI (Small Luxury Hotels) - Bergen, Norway REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

Opus XVI

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Opus XVI

VÃ¥gsallmenningen 16 Bergen, NO 5014

Hotel Opus XVI (Small Luxury Hotels) - Bergen, Norway (16 Photos)

Opus XVI

To make my life simpler and to maximize elite benefits, I generally stick to chain hotels where I have status and I do not research smaller chains or independent hotels, perhaps sometimes to my detriment in some towns.  For our trip to Bergen none of the hotel chains we generally stay at have a hotel there (Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Accor) so I had to expand my horizons.  With Hyatt’s recent partnership with Small Luxury Hotels I investigated what properties might be in the pipeline for Hyatt and I found out about Hotel Opus XVI.  I made a speculative booking several months in advance based on the possibility that Opus might join Hyatt and unfortunately it has not done so yet, but nonetheless I ended up deciding to keep this reservation and give it a try, which I did not regret.

Hotel Opus XVI is in a historical and protected building right in the heart of Bergen.  It used to be a bank and they were allowed to transform it into a hotel without altering the exterior.  They opened just one year ago so everything is in excellent condition.  They told me that they are currently considering the pros and cons of joining World of Hyatt but they are undecided at this stage.  

IMG_5921.jpeg

The location of the hotel is great, right in city center and walking distance to everything.  We took the light rail train from the airport which brings you to the terminal station in about 45 minutes and from there we could easily walk about 250 meters to the hotel.

Room

I booked a classic room which is one category up from the entry level room.  Not having elite status with SLH I did not expect an upgrade and anyway the hotel was sold out during our stay so this is the room we received.  The room is somewhat small at 18 square meters and I generally do not like rooms that small but the space was utilized efficiently and it was ok.  Despite being an older building, I was pleased to have large and newly replaced windows which were almost floor to ceiling, with the ability to open the top part to get fresh air in the room.  Some older buildings have low ceilings and it was the case in the bathroom, but our bedroom room had high ceilings on about three quarters of the room, only the part near the entrance being lower.  The room is finished to high standards including hardwood floors in the bedroom and also heated floor in the bathroom.  There is also a large window on almost the entire outside facing wall of the bathroom which provides great natural lighting and the bottom portion is frosted glass for privacy.  Unlike the bedroom which was tight, the bathroom was fairly spacious and the walk-in rain shower was particularly large for a room of less than 20 square meters. The one weakness of this room which would be easy to fix is that the building next door is very close so when curtains are open in the bedroom we could see people quite well on the other side of the small alley and vice versa.  If you don’t want strangers to see you, pulling the curtains is required but it obviously makes the room dark which might not be the desired effect before sunset or after sunrise; there should be sheers in the windows which would help greatly.  As a last comment about the room, bathroom amenities used are Molton Brown which I am not particularly fond of.

IMG_5783.jpegIMG_5784.jpegIMG_5786.jpegIMG_5787.jpeg

Dining

Breakfast is free for SLH members simply by signing up to the loyalty program and Opus XVI lives up to its claim of being a luxury hotel by providing a top notch breakfast to its guests.  There is a small a la carte menu to go along with a buffet with the menu having a couple of vegan options which we enjoyed for example the avocado and vegan sausage on toast.  However it’s the buffet which makes the hotel stand out: a great variety of fruits such as raspberries, blackberries, cherries, strawberries, and they even had dates.  To provide local flavor, they had several kinds of fish including smoked trout and obviously salmon, they had crab and crayfish tails, and the best was two types of caviar.  It was a delicious feast to start the day and the only thing missing to make it a royal breakfast was a glass of champagne, which was available but for an extra charge. While the room rates at this hotel are probably not high enough to be able to provide free flow champagne, I do not think a luxury hotel should charge extra for cappuccino but unfortunately any kind of special coffee was offered with a surcharge.  Like some Park Hyatts of the world, you can also get breakfast as room service instead of the restaurant, and you only need to pay for the delivery fee.  

IMG_5838.jpegIMG_5839.jpegIMG_5840.jpegIMG_5844.jpegIMG_5847.jpegIMG_5885.jpegIMG_5886.jpegIMG_5887.jpegIMG_5888.jpegIMG_5889.jpeg

Gym

The fitness gym is not the highlight of the hotel.  It’s a small window-less room in the basement with low ceilings, at least it partially looks interesting with brick walls. Equipment was fairly new but the elliptical machine does not have a TV/screen which is a puzzling purchase decision from a new luxury hotel.  The treadmills have a very large screen but only with internet; the TV did not seem to work.

IMG_5884.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi was excellent with speeds between 40-85 Mbps depending on time of day. 

Service

Service in the hotel was good, from the pre-arrival email and prompt responses to my questions, the service at reception, the restaurant, housekeeping being done very well and at the exact time requested. 

Overall

Overall I am glad I discovered this hotel and upon returning to Bergen I am very likely to book there again instead of booking an independent hotel or booking with hotel chains where I am not a regular such as the Radisson Blu.  At Opus XVI you get a historical building, new rooms in great condition, perfect location, luxury breakfast with a local twist, and good service, all of that at a reasonable price considering that Bergen is not a cheap town.  It was our first stay with SLH and this property left a good impression which makes us likely to book with SLH in other destinations in the future as well.  

Hotel Opus XVI (Small Luxury Hotels) - Bergen, Norway

Would you like to write a review on the Opus XVI?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

This SLH has now joined the Hyatt partnership so this thread could be moved to Hyatt. Cat 5.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thanks for the suggestion; thread moved to the WofH Forum.

FlyinHawaiian, Acting Moderator
Other Hotel Chains Forum
escape4 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I booked the Opus XVI somewhat last minute as the first stop in my trip to Europe in fall 2021. This was my first time back to Europe since February 2020 due to the pandemic. I was originally booked at the Moxy, which I had for ~$100, but changed to this property after I saw rates fall below $200. It should be noted that when booked directly though the hotel’s website, it’s indicated that all guests receive full breakfast, but the WOH benefits state that only continental is guaranteed when booked through Hyatt.com.

I arrived around 6pm from my long trip from the US, and two friendly agents checked me in. They ran down a few pieces of information including that I had been upgraded based on my WOH Globalist status and that full breakfast would be included, contrary to what WOH says. It was also recommended that reservations for breakfast be made as the restaurant is popular with locals (especially on Sundays). I was assigned a Superior room on the 3rd floor.

Waiting in my room was a welcome note and a few candies. The room was somewhat small, though beautifully appointed. The windows in the room do open, there is a HVAC control, though I don’t think it did anything, a super comfortable bed, lots of outlets, a small minibar with coffee and tea, and a small-ish bathroom. Overall, the room was great for my needs as a solo traveler. One thing that was annoying was that as far as I could tell, there was no individual lighting controls, it was all or nothing with switches located by the door and bedside.

As I mentioned, all guests are given full breakfast, though I had somewhat muted expectations. I arrived a few minutes before my reservation, but it was not needed, but I understand the practice to make sure guests aren’t waiting if there’s unexpected non-guest diners. I’ve posted pictures of the menu, but to say I was impressed is an understatement. I had the cold-cuts dish and avocado and bacon toast each morning (I don’t eat eggs, so somewhat limited there). One day I asked them to make something a little different that wasn’t on the menu, and they obliged. Fresh squeezed orange juice, toast with jams and butter, coffee, tea, etc. are all also included. This isn’t a globalist breakfast in-room at the PH Vendome, but honestly, I was very happy. They will also make brunch-type drinks on the weekend if you want (bloody Mary, champagne, mimosa, etc.) which aren’t included. Each weekend morning also featured a piano player in the breakfast area playing a mix of classical compositions, and soft piano renditions of popular music, which really made for a nice atmosphere. I do wish the above buffet was back though, as it would've been nice to have a salad or some additional veggies in the morning.

A few other notes, the internet was very fast and reliable, the public spaces were beautiful, and the service was excellent. I had a few cocktails in the lobby lounge and all were expertly made, many with local or regional spirits or ingredients. The hotel is owned by a relative of composer Edvard Grieg (the most famous person from Bergen most say), and the detail and pride in which the take in featuring the composer, history, etc. is impressive. As an avid listener of classical music, I can’t say there wasn’t a little bit of this that played into my mind to book this property over the Moxy in the end.

Overall, I can’t recommend this hotel enough! As my first SLH experience as a globalist, I wasn’t sure to what length the advertised benefits would be delivered, but they were stellar here! I’ve somewhat avoided SLH in places where there’s a traditional Hyatt (not the case in Bergen), but price being equal, and with this as a baseline, I’ll gladly take on more SLH stays going forward.

Menu

Menu

Menu

Menu

Avocado and bacon toast

Cold cuts platter
platbrownguy and chad75 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

So I am assuming the buffet is gone? The caviar, crab, crayfish, etc. made for a quite luxurious breakfast when I stayed two years ago. Sounds like a downgrade despite still being above average.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Great review. I have a two night reservation here for next Summer before heading to Lofoten. Although I'm a Globalist, I actually booked through Booking.com for better rate with a room upgrade and free breakfast included.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by escape4
So I am assuming the buffet is gone? The caviar, crab, crayfish, etc. made for a quite luxurious breakfast when I stayed two years ago. Sounds like a downgrade despite still being above average.
Correct, buffet being removed was COVID related (no surprise) and has not yet made a return due to demand/occupancy. With Norway now open to more visitors, I'd expect to see it back in the late winter, early spring based. Nothing official, just my guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.