Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Viceroy Bali [SLH] MASTER - REVIEW THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Viceroy Bali [SLH] MASTER - REVIEW THREAD

Figured it was worth making a thread about this hotel here since it's now part of Hyatt's SLH integration. This has long been a well rated luxury option in Bali, topping many of the lists. Also of note is that it's family-owned and managed, which is pretty rare these days.

From the point of view of a Hyatt loyalist who's been planning a trip that way, I wanted to figure out what the options were. Looks like, as expected, no special treatment of any kind is to be expected for Hyatt guests. Paying cash, you're looking at a 10-15% markup on already sky-high prices.

The option that seemed more interesting than the $800+ nightly rates is redeeming 30k points. Unfortunately, the upgrades beyond that are rather expensive. I was quoted $300+ for a 2-level upgrade, and $1300 for upgrade to the 2bedroom.

Given I'm traveling as 3 adults, the $1300 option or 2x 30k points + $600 for connecting rooms were the only options that seemed allowed. With these costs, we decided not to go here. I'll still probably visit on a future more "couple-y" trip as a base room redemption still looks like strong value.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:52 pm

I will say the markup for slh hotels when booked with Hyatt is a MAJOR negative for this program. You basically make me pay 10-20% more just to get night credits. Not really attractive in that regard, especially when the hotels aren't Hyatt proper hotels, so you can't even get the glob benefits.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:59 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Agree entirely, though there might be some value in redeeming on occasion!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I looked at it last month and it makes ZERO sense to book this with Hyatt just for the points and stay credit. The rate is much cheaper booked through other channels including Orbitz/Expedia which already include Breakfast (actually almost all hotels in Ubud do). You can also always use the 10-15% discount code that Orbitz has on their website.

Not sure if it's your thing but I loved the Alila Ubud as well as the Capella. Ritz Carlton Madapa is great as well.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
I stayed at the Viceroy a few years back in the Viceroy villa. Sublime and highly impressive. One of my favourite hotels ever. I agree on the redemption not being overly valuable but sometimes the viceroy rates are sky high. Points could be worthwhile during these times. My experience with the hotel is that you should negotiate upgrades. they are family run so income is income. worthwhile for sure on arrival.

I have stayed in a whole bunch of hotels in Ubud. All were great. My favourite though is Capella. It is more than a hotel stay it is an experience. A must do in my mind if you visit Ubud.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:24 am

Has anyone stayed at the Viceroy Bali using Hyatt points or promotional free night awards? Were Hyatt / SLH partnership benefits honored smoothly?

Copied from the Hyatt / SLH partnership site:
  • Complimentary continental breakfast for two
  • Early check-in 12:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
  • Late check-out 2:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
  • One category room upgrade (based on availability at check-in)
808traveler likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:31 am

Used my promo night award at this hotel and received breakfast but no room upgrade, was also only given 1pm check out. They also provided drink vouchers, and a spa discount.

excellent f&b and great small little rustic property to relax for a few days
Old May 14, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by jclia
Used my promo night award at this hotel and received breakfast but no room upgrade, was also only given 1pm check out. They also provided drink vouchers, and a spa discount.

excellent f&b and great small little rustic property to relax for a few days
Great info. Did you have other meals at the restaurant? Or use the spa?
Old May 14, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by mster
Great info. Did you have other meals at the restaurant? Or use the spa?
had all my meals in the resort. The older restaurant (open air and serves breakfast too) had a delicious array of local and foreign food. Ingredients felt fresh.

Many seem to enjoy the western restaurant (new, buggy-ride from the main part of the resort). Food is promising and the staff tries hard. The bar adjacent is styled like a pub, its beautiful and some nice cocktails.

main pool is beautiful and always empty, since all rooms have their private plunge pool. Did not try the spa as it felt makeshift when i visited. Very small and not well designed. Very affordable especially with the discount voucher.

just take note that incidental spend at SLH, fnb and spa, does not accrue hyatt points or contribute to the spend/base points
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Wow, I'm surprised there is so little activity here. I agree on cash prices it's not worth it to book through Hyatt but I'm surprised more people aren't redeeming 30,000 awards. I just booked 4 nights here for next year so looking forward to it. This is ranked as one of the best Resorts in the world. I will post a detailed review once I'm back.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, WOH Globalist
After spending 5 days at the St. Regis booked a 2 night stay at the Viceroy; got back home a few days ago. Used WOH points, 30k a night. As an Explorist, got a one level upgrade to a terrace pool villa- I think the major difference is a high vaulted ceiling. We really liked this place- room was large, private pool was great (but it's heated, so if you want cooler water need to use common pool). Most of the guests were young American couples- I think it's a common honeymoon destination, as the hotel is small and relatively secluded. It's a great base of operations for exploring Ubud. The hotel set up a tour for us one day- reasonably priced, nice car, good guide. The food was excellent- there's two restaurants, but the newer fancier one only does an 8 course dinner (I can't eat that much anymore!). On check-in we did get a voucher for cocktails at the fancy restaurant (called Aperitif); did use those, very nice.

I agree hotel is expensive when paying cash but thought it was a great use of WOH points.
808traveler likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
3 night stay mid-March 2020

I completed a 3 night stay here after staying in the Alili Seminyak Studios and Alila Ubud. When we checked in we were double upgraded to a deluxe terrace villa using points (30k/night). They also gave us each a $15 of spa treatment which we used, and also two free drinks at Appertif which we didn't make it. I have never stayed in a hotel where I had my own villa with pool. It seemed as though a lot of people stayed in there villa for much of the day. There was never more than 1 couple at the main pool. The Cascades restaurant which is the informal dining area was always pretty quiet. One evening we were one of three tables. The breakfast is fantastic. It is a la carte and the servings are small but you can order as much as you want.

We used the car service to go into Ubud a number of times for dinner, shopping, sightseeing. The car was always fast and available on-call from like 8am to 10pm. My wife had a couple massages in the room because the spa is currently closed for renovation. Service was great but they were spendy compared to the cheap massages in Ubud.

This resort really seems to be focused on privacy of the guests. There is a helipad for quick airport transfers and tours. It really does seem to cater to the wealthy. It was my wife and I's anniversary otherwise I don't really see myself spending 30k hyatt points on a room night. If I am ever flush with Hyatt points again I would come back here or check out the Alila Uluwatu villas.
antonius66 and 808traveler like this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by mster
Has anyone stayed at the Viceroy Bali using Hyatt points or promotional free night awards? Were Hyatt / SLH partnership benefits honored smoothly?

Copied from the Hyatt / SLH partnership site:
  • Complimentary continental breakfast for two
  • Early check-in 12:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
  • Late check-out 2:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
  • One category room upgrade (based on availability at check-in)
I see no one really answered you question. I stayed here on points in March 2020 (see my discussion below).

-Complimentary breakfast is included for all guests at this hotel
-Early checkin and late checkout was available, we checked in early because we had to check out of Alila Ubud.
- I was given a double upgrade. Occupancy was fairly low due to COVID.We got a deluxe terrace villa. But looking at the website I can't tell the difference between the base room and deluxe terrace villa.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Anybody stayed here this year?
Cometstar likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Anyone with recent stays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.