Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors > Small Luxury Hotels (SLH)
Reload this Page >

Hyatt & Small Luxury Hotels Of The World Announce Partnership MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 59Impala
There is a Hyatt sub-forum for everything related to SLH, benefits, reviews, etc...


https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/small-luxury-hotels-slh-772/

would be nice if the forum would get a boost Cheers 59Impala




Paid stays are 10%+ cheaper if booked as an SLH member on its website. It, also, includes continental breakfast. (note from @59impala. I paid a 30% premium for The Plymouth Southbeach.) (antonius66 I observed 10-30% premiums for 2 hotels in Portugal over SLH direct, closer to 50% over OTAs)
A limited number of reviews of SLH properties may be found in the Other Hotel Chains Forum.
World of Hyatt members can earn 5 Base Points for every $1 USD spent on qualifying room rates and can redeem points for free nights at participating SLH hotels. It doesn't stop there, members can also enjoy exclusive in-hotel benefits when staying at a participating SLH hotel.
Complimentary continental breakfast for two
Complimentary Wi-Fi
Early check-in 12:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
Late check-out 2:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
One category room upgrade (based on availability at check-in)

Review Master Threads:
HGU New York: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1958701-hgu-new-york-slh-hotel.html
Byblos Art Hotel, Villa Amist, Verona, Italy: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ing-hotel.html
SINA Centurion Palace - Venice, Italy - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...l#post31441012
Hotel Ranga - Iceland: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1984015-hotel-ranga-iceland-small-luxury-hotel.html#post31442837
137 PIllars House, Chiang Mai, Thailand https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...hiang-mai.html
1906 Lodge Coronado (San Diego), CA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...sland-slh.html
137 Pillars Suites & Residences Bangkok, Thailand: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2007231-137-pillars-bangkok-small-luxury-hotel.html
Akyra Thonglor Bangkok, Thailand: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...er-thread.html
Opus XIV Bergen, Norway : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1983274-hotel-opus-xvi-small-luxury-hotels-bergen-norway.html
Ambassador Zurich, Switzerland: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...er-thread.html
Inverlochy Castle, Scotland UK: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...-scotland.html
Cromlix, Scotland UK: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...-scotland.html
Print Wikipost

Hyatt & Small Luxury Hotels Of The World Announce Partnership MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:29 pm
  #31  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Posts: 4,902
I like Design hotels and I am glad they are part of Starwood, but bottom line is I do not use them much. With a rough count, I stay at Design for only 2-3% of my Starwood nights. More often than not, I end up booking a hotel that will give me substantial elite benefits rather than staying in a Design hotel.

However looking at SLH, it seems they have far more hotels in cities / towns where not only Hyatt is not present, but other hotel chains like Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, and Accor are not there either. So I foresee that I will find more use for SLH within Hyatt than Design within Starwood, for towns which are out of the way. For major cities where there is competition between hotel chains, I will probably continue to stick to hotels that give me significant upgrades, free breakfast, and sometimes a lounge, so SLH will not often be my choice there.

If we can find a decent number of SLH properties where we can get close to 2 cpp value of Hyatt points, then this will end up being a very attractive alliance as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by escape4; Aug 3, 2018 at 6:48 am
escape4 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:47 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 8,504
Originally Posted by antonius66
Any chain that gives "perks" to every member means that it is a made up benefit and generally you can expect it to be relatively worthless. Ok, so I join you club and now I get all kinds of super valuable and secret benefits? Please. . It's like ihg Platinum and it's "upgrades". Almost always totally useless because the status is pathetically easy to get. That's why every person who joins gets continental breakfast, the exact same as their top tier members. That should tell you something. If top tier got real breakfast, that would be something. If the benefit is the same for 0 stays as it is for 50...it is generally going to be useless crap. Let's not be naive. I'm not saying continental breakfast isn't "useful", but it is hardly a big perk and it's obviously baked into their rates, along with the other free "benefits" for joining.

And incidentally, regarding my comment about rates...that was my fault. I should have been more clear. I was referring to benefits with regards to rate vis a vis top level glob status. Part of what I look forward to at a 500 property as a glob, is a superb high end breakfast, not a free for everyone continental.
While I get where you are coming from, I disagree in this case. Free breakfast for joining is given to everyone who joins prior to arriving. I'm betting less than half are members. And the time I've stayed at SLH hotels, the breakfast was far more than just a normal continental breakfast, more like a buffet with an egg station where you can't order the ala carte menu (like french toast) without paying.

Have you actually stayed at an SLH? The couple of times I had, I got upgraded, not to mention breakfast.
Football Fan likes this.
beachfan is offline  
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:19 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,618
No and maybe in the end the benefits will be such that I will be wrong and it won't matter. However, I'm very leery of any set up where I have to rely on hope and expectations from other unrelated properties under individually different ownership, rather than solid stated benefits. I don't like the "the benefit is X, but *wink* don't worry, you'll really get Y" type set ups. We will see since it's still very early, but I frankly don't see a realistic way this gets set up to give globs a true value for loyalty beyond "you get points and stay credit". I mean, yeah that's something but like I said, I stay to get status to really enjoy my stays because of the benefits. Getting credit towards status that gives no measurable benefit is not a perk to me. To me that's what we already have HP and HH for and they're half the chain. We'll see.
antonius66 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:48 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Posts: 2,030
Not sure why folks are B*t*g about this. The partnership opens up places where Hyatt does not have a presence and I can use my points for stays, I think is a win win for us.

I only hope Hyatt can redesign their website and improve its responsiveness. I have been checking out the SLH locations and pictures and is very painful.
Football Fan likes this.
hotelfanatic is offline  
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:29 pm
  #35  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Posts: 1,967
This is a wonderful deal, I hope it's well executed (and the properties I love participate). With the NH deal sinking this is very nice news for us Euro-frequent or Euro-living Hyatt regulars.
notquiteaff likes this.
caliform is offline  
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:29 pm
  #36  
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zulu Romeo Hotel
Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Posts: 4,676
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Not sure why folks are B*t*g about this. The partnership opens up places where Hyatt does not have a presence and I can use my points for stays, I think is a win win for us.

I only hope Hyatt can redesign their website and improve its responsiveness. I have been checking out the SLH locations and pictures and is very painful.
​​​​​​i was about to write this yesterday. Hyatt IT and SLH IT seem to be a great fit already.... SLH site is really bad... terrible design/layout.... almost impossible to view pictures on my iPad (currently traveling so have no other option...)
59Impala is offline  
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:32 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 177
Great news

Im over the moon at the potential of this. These properties fill a geographic gap and on the whole are far more interesting than the boring chains for vacations and special weekends.
Football Fan and notquiteaff like this.
rhodeweary is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:43 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Posts: 4,662
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Not sure why folks are B*t*g about this. The partnership opens up places where Hyatt does not have a presence and I can use my points for stays, I think is a win win for us.
+1 and I think the general consensus is that this has the potential to be a great addition.

Originally Posted by antonius66
No and maybe in the end the benefits will be such that I will be wrong and it won't matter. However, I'm very leery of any set up where I have to rely on hope and expectations from other unrelated properties under individually different ownership, rather than solid stated benefits.
Reality is that under the current Hyatt program you are also relying on "hope and expectations from other unrelated properties under individual different ownership" for your benefits since Hyatt does NOT own all of the properties that fly their flag. We all know that benefits and how the implementation of benefits is handled differs from hotel to hotel. I would think Hyatt will work out the details with SLH so that we will know what benefits apply and what to expect...again the reality will be how the hotels implement those benefits at the SLH properties. I really don't understand all the negativity! It's plain and simple, if they don't end up working for you don't stay there.
Football Fan likes this.

Last edited by christianj; Aug 3, 2018 at 5:49 am
christianj is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:04 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 3,159
I too cannot understand why anyone would complain about this. Where's the downside? No glob benefits? If this works out it will provide opportunities for earning, and probably even more important, redeeming WoH points in many locations where there have never been any glob benefits anyway, since there was not Hyatt at all.

I for one am hoping that most, or at least many, of the SLH properties participate and that the points redemption level are reasonable. I would think that this would appeal to business travellers; earn the points at Hyatts on business and now have more places to redeem the points on vacation.

To many members this presents a welcome opportunity to explore destinations that they might not have considered before. If some other members do not find any value in it, that's fine, but why dis it?
Football Fan likes this.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:48 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,618
I guess my comments are being misinterpreted. I'm not negative per se, I am just saying I'm very guarded with any optimism because I see a lot of ways this turns out to be marginally useful and several ways it turns out to be near useless. I am glad they added these options...absolutely. I just fear that their value with relation to elite benefits will be negligible, which would severely reduce the value for me. I agree there is no "downside" as it were...if it is garbage, I just won't use it. I'm just not as excited as some because to me, there's very little to be excited about right now.
antonius66 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:36 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 3,159
The tie-up with SLH could certainly fall flat, but if it does, I think it will be because too few properties participate or they set ridiculous redemption levels (such as 20,000 pts for a free night at a property where standard rates are less than US$200) or some similar reason, and not because of any lack of elite benefits.

Yes, I know it is too early to tell if it will really be of any value, and those of us who are optimistic about it might end up looking foolish, but sometimes it feels good to look at the bright side...
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:54 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Posts: 4,378
Of course the devil is in the details, but this could be a very good move for Hyatt. I left, not so much because of the size of its footprint, but its shape, which just doesnt fit my travel foot, which spends a lot of time in Europe beyond Paris, Milan, Zurich & Vienna.

NH Hotels held no appeal for me; SLH has, for me, some very appealing ones. We shall see...

Last edited by rfrost; Aug 3, 2018 at 10:47 pm
rfrost is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:00 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Philadelphia, LAX, Paris
Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Posts: 3,393
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Not sure why folks are B*t*g about this. The partnership opens up places where Hyatt does not have a presence and I can use my points for stays, I think is a win win for us.

I only hope Hyatt can redesign their website and improve its responsiveness. I have been checking out the SLH locations and pictures and is very painful.
COMPLETELY agree! I went to the SLH web site and found several properties where I have previously stayed at, most notably Hayfield Manor in Cork, Ireland, a stunning property and one of the best places that I have stayed at (my former employer even had a very sweet negotiated rate with this hotel). I particularly love the footprint of SLH in Asia and certain parts of Europe where Hyatt has ZERO presence!

No question that the vast majority of SLH properties are STUNNING, befitting the 'Luxury' part of their name. I will be happy to get stay credits, Hyatt points, free breakfast, and who knows, they may give me something because I'm a Globalist - I don't expect it but I am willing to be pleasantly surprised.

And to the whiners and naysayers, my message to them: please DO NOT stay at the SLH properties as no one is forcing you to do it.
sapguy is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:38 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,618
Originally Posted by rfrost
Of course the devil is in the details, but this could be a very good move for Hyatt. I left, not so much because of the size of its footprint, but its shape, which just doesnt fit my travel foot, which spends a lot of time in Europe beyond Paris, Milan, Zurich & Vienna.

NH Hotels held no appeal for me; SLH has, for me, some very appealing ones. We shall see...
If SLH were all part of a single hotel company and they were acquiring that company and would be directly managing them all as Hyatts...I would be ECSTATIC. They are not however.
antonius66 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:00 pm
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Posts: 20,450
It's interesting to see what SLH considers a "small" hotel:

https://www.princehotels.co.jp/karui...h/english.html

Karuizawa Prince Hotel East itself has 162 rooms, and is a part of the huge Prince Grand Resort Karuizawa that is teeming with people.

If this hotel is included in the new partnership, it will become a part of FOUR separate hotel loyalty programs simultaneously!
hailstorm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.