Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Best transAtlantic SkyTeam business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best transAtlantic SkyTeam business class?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think the NW A330 is worth the detour over the AF 777.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by graraps
On Aeroflot you get a reliably hearty meal. The service is very good (no FAs hiding away from pax). The seat is lieflat, but to me it feels comfier than the AF seat (maybe it's a tad wider?). Plus short-haul connections are in a proper cradle seat, with proper meals, not middle seat in Europe Select with a snackbox or the silly excuses about flight length or mealtimes offered by airlines in the USA who don't want to feed you.

SVO-2 isn't the prettiest terminal ever, but it's not THAT bad, and the lounge may be lacking showers but at least it has computers and substantial snacks (unlike the AF lounges).

Generally, SU is consistently above average in terms of the things I value (namely seat comfort, FA service and food), and lacking in areas I don't really care about (e.g. IFE). The wines are also not a strong point of SU, but the vodka is excellent and the crew will happily keep coming 'round and topping you up with ridiculous quantities of it.

Thanks for the long input, but doesn't Russia require transit visa?

The trip will be from CDG/ORY to DCA/IAD and back.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Doesn't DL have a non-stop out of JFK that fits your schedule? I am booking the same outbound route around 2 weeks after you and there is Z class availability on the non-stop.

For my money (not MR), I'll take a slightly less comfy seat in J (it's a 767) over a stop anytime.

Originally Posted by bk3day
I'm about to book a biz award from NYC-BCN and return CDG-NYC ( Oct 27ish - Nov 4thish)

Right now the CO nonstop EWR- BCN is not offered as anaward option.

Most outbound options are AirFrance via CDG or NW/KLM via AMS.

iirc, the A330 is the NW plane of choice but that doesn't fly ex-NYC.

If I go NW, is it worth the hop to DTW to fly the A330 across the pond?

I'd take the detour if that really is worth the time/effort.

what say you?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N227UA
Thanks for the long input, but doesn't Russia require transit visa?
No, they don't.

Originally Posted by N227UA
The trip will be from CDG/ORY to DCA/IAD and back.
In that case (assuming that the cost was similar and/or that I wasn't paying), I would go with the direct AF flights.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by graraps
In that case (assuming that the cost was similar and/or that I wasn't paying), I would go with the direct AF flights.
I agree. Even if you really did want to be in DCA at the end of the trip I'd take the non-stop to IAD and deal with the cab ride. It is annoying but better than dealing with clearing immigration/customs in JFK and then getting back through security and on a likely delayed flight from JFK-DCA. A NW routing via DTW with the A330 wouldn't be a bad experience either, but I'm not sure it is worth the few extra hours of travel time.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
May or may not relevant for the original poster, but Aeromexico also flies transatlantic.

Is their business class anything worth writing home about?
Old May 1, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA-Plat (MM)/BA-Silver/DL-Plat/ICON-Royal Ambassador/Hyatt Gold
IMO, Continental has a very good product with wider and comfortable seats than AF angled flat beds and CO food is also better than AF or NW. DL has been the biggest disappointment for the seat comfort and the food is inconsistent - but when good, can be top notch. Service for me has been CO/AF/DL/NW for TATL flights
Old May 2, 2009, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually if we are talking about BE service, DL's food product is generally good and one of the most consistant in the industry, it's VERY rare here on FT to hear otherwise.
Old May 10, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I was VERY impressed with my recent AF T/A trip in biz on the A340. AVOD is great, seat was wonderful (slight angle but mostly lie-flat), very good meal/drink service. Overall it would be my choice again unless I had other reasons not to (schedule, 2-3x EQM promo, etc. etc.)
Old May 12, 2009, 12:42 pm

Agree with Cargojon. Just returned on AF (CDG-IAD) on 777. Seat was fine, food better than average, and service very good. It surpassed our DL flight to JNB from ATL. Also our AF flight from JNB to CDG on 777 was excellent, though I must admit we slept most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.