Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
SkyTeam rivalry as Aeroflot enters Czech Airlines privatisation fray

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...atisation.html
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Isn't Aeroflot also thinking of bidding for Malev? Could they be overextending themselves like Lufthansa may be with all their acquisitions?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
No, they are not bidding for Málev (and it's not for sale IIRC). But they are the industry partner of a Russian bank that has 49% in MA.

They've been trying to buy a European airline for years (JAT, Málev, OS, OK, what have you) but OK seems to look like the most probable option now
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anything that can keep AFKL away from CSA is great news!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by graraps
Anything that can keep AFKL away from CSA is great news!
True, but lets hope that in case they actually do get to acquire OK, they keep OK's fabulous FF program, as SU's own pretty much sucks dirty socks.

If I lived in Europe I would've switched to OK Plus in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:59 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by asnovici
...as SU's own pretty much sucks dirty socks.
Well said from this SU Gold Member! Well said indeed!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Platinum)
I'm a Silver OK Plus member with 250,000+ miles stored up. Sounds like I should start getting some award tickets before a new (and less-generous) FF regime starts up...
Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjet_cz
I'm a Silver OK Plus member with 250,000+ miles stored up. Sounds like I should start getting some award tickets before a new (and less-generous) FF regime starts up...
I've converted a few of my miles into awards just in case....
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Originally Posted by graraps
I've converted a few of my miles into awards just in case....

I feel even crazier than you as I had almost the same amount on AZ... but I knew how it would have ended then I didn't lost anything
However I started doing the same and I think it is a wise decision because OK and AZ could follow AFKL into changing the cost of redemption of tickets and then my miles could worth less.

Actually I can book a Skyteam flight with less miles than what FB members can do. But how long this will last????
Old Apr 21, 2009, 4:57 am

It was announced this morning that Aeroflot is no longer in the running to buy Czech Airlines.

Here's the blurb from Czech Radio (21 April 2009)

Czech govt picks Air France, Unimex in CSA tender

PRAGUE, April 20 (Reuters) - The Czech government picked Air France-KLM and a consortium of Czech firms Unimex and Travel Service to advance to the second round of a tender to buy national carrier Czech Airlines, Finance Minister Miroslav Kalousek said on Monday. The decision leaves out Russia's Aeroflot and the closely-held firm Odien. The government is offering a 91.5 percent stake in Czech Airlines (CSA). (Reporting by Jana Mlcochova)

Last edited by mjet_cz; Apr 22, 2009 at 9:32 am
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Their criteria was for a bidding company not to be owned by a foreign government. And SU is 51% owned by the Russian Governement, therefore SU is out.

I would brace if I was an OK+ member, Flying Poo is coming CSA's way...
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by asnovici
I would brace if I was an OK+ member, Flying Poo is coming CSA's way...
Is the main downside of FP the higher award mile requirements (or are there even more bad things?)? Is getting an award ticket considerably harder with AF/KL? I've gotten a few with CSA but it has been a few years.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mjet_cz
Is the main downside of FP the higher award mile requirements (or are there even more bad things?)? Is getting an award ticket considerably harder with AF/KL? I've gotten a few with CSA but it has been a few years.
AF/KL eviscerated the program by severely cutting earning rates on most cheap fares as of 1 April. That is a huge blow to the program.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
AF/KL eviscerated the program by severely cutting earning rates on most cheap fares as of 1 April. That is a huge blow to the program.
Exactly right. Very sad news for FB members.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:18 am

KLM and AirFrance were already offering a measly 25% on lower-priced economy codes for a while. So they've expanded the list even further now? It's getting to the point that only full-fare economy (which I personally consider to be an oxymoron) will yield points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.