Wiki Posts
Search

Which 1st class is best to Taiwan?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club-Platinum, USAir-Gold, Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold,
Which 1st class is best to Taiwan?

I don't know if this has been answered in other forums, but I couldn't find an answer using the "search" function. I know that Singapore Airlines is rated best 1st class, but they don't have FF miles availability for when I need to travel. So after SQ, can someone tell me which SkyTeam partner would have the best 1st class? Would China Airlines be better than Korean Air, for example? I'd prefer departing from New York, however if L.A. would offer better cabin/service, I'd do that too. Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:13 pm

Neither CI nor SQ is a member of Skyteam.

The only Skyteam members with first class service are KE and AF (other Skyteam members only have business class). And AF doesn't fly to Taiwan.

So the best Skyteam first class service to Taiwan is the only Skyteam first class service to Taiwan: KE.

That said, if your question is which Delta partner other than SQ has the best first class to Taiwan, my guess is that it's a toss up between CI and KE. I'd pick whichever one has availability on a schedule that works for you (assuming one of them does).
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Oh, I guess I meant "partner" airline vs. solely Skyteam. Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I think it depends on if you want a direct flight or an one-stop flight.

Korean Air requires a stopover in Seoul Incheon, transiting time may take couple hours. Also, First Class is not offered on flights from/to Seoul Incheon to Taipei Taoyuan, only on flights from Seoul Incheon to North America (some flights have older style seats).

China Airlines requires departure from New York JFK, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. New York JFK is a 3 weekly flight utilizing 744, San Francisco is daily flight utilizing 744, Los Angeles is 2 daily flight utilizing 74C.

744 First Class is 180 degree lie-flat sleeper, w/6" PTV, no AVOD. Layout on the flight is 2-2. Passengers have reported that the lie-flat sleeper has better cushion, but less privacy since there's someone next to you.

74C First Class is a suite seat that lies 180 degrees, w/15" PTV and AVOD. Layout on the flight is 1-1 or 1-2-1.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:37 am

In my quick random search, it looked like KE flies 3-class A330s on ICN-TPE, so 1st should be available on that route. But you would indeed have to change planes in ICN.

Note that if you don't want to stop en route, you also don't want to buy a "direct" flight. You want a "nonstop" flight. "Direct" flights often involve one or more stops and plane changes--in airline lingo "direct" just means you're on the same flight number (not the same plane) all the way there. I once had a "direct" flight on NW that involved a DC9 from EWR to DTW, a 744 from DTW to NRT and a 742 from NRT to PVG. It was 100% "direct," because the whole thing was flight #11, but I had to change planes twice.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Pt, CX DM, QR, UA, AX Pt
I believe, JFK-TPE route has stopover at ANC.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! One of the routes that I found is available is the China Airlines flight from JFK to TPE 1st class, with one stop in Anchorage. A flight on KE is also available, but in Biz class. This will be my first trip to Asia and I'm using a lot of miles, so I don't mind having one or two layovers. I just want to get the best out of the miles. Does anyone know if Biz class on KE would be comparable or better than 1st class on China Airlines? I've read some mixed reviews about CA, using old planes, etc...
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Doesn't Malaysian Airlines fly LAX-TPE too?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:40 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by Mannequin
Thanks for all the info! One of the routes that I found is available is the China Airlines flight from JFK to TPE 1st class, with one stop in Anchorage. A flight on KE is also available, but in Biz class. This will be my first trip to Asia and I'm using a lot of miles, so I don't mind having one or two layovers. I just want to get the best out of the miles. Does anyone know if Biz class on KE would be comparable or better than 1st class on China Airlines? I've read some mixed reviews about CA, using old planes, etc...
CI F >> KE C/J (not sure which KE uses for biz class).
IIRC, one cannot use DL miles for KE F redemption? (as well as AF K)
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:57 am

I've read some mixed reviews about CA, using old planes, etc...
AFAIK CA (Air China) doesn't fly to Taiwan.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
China Airlines is CI, Air China is CA. However, CI does use older 744 on this route, but F seats are still 180 degrees lie flat sleepers. The only real problem on this aircraft would be no AVOD on the small 6" PTV.

CI F is better than KE C or KE J.

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Doesn't Malaysian Airlines fly LAX-TPE too?
Yes... but I think the topic owner might want a direct flight from the east coast instead of taking a flight with DL to LAX since that wouldn't be a better experience than going through ANC (delays, custom clearance, and timing).

Originally Posted by themicah
AFAIK CA (Air China) doesn't fly to Taiwan.
Air China does fly to Taiwan now, but not from North America.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! So sounds like it will be best to use the miles for CI F. To Yak: I'd love to fly Malaysian, but since I'm using DL miles I don't think that's an option.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks! So sounds like it will be best to use the miles for CI F. To Yak: I'd love to fly Malaysian, but since I'm using DL miles I don't think that's an option.
It sortof will be in a week or so. DL and NW members are going to be able to freely move miles between accounts in the two programs in the very near future. That would let you use the NW/MH partnership to do it, though I have no idea what the redemption requirements are.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll have to keep an eye out for that when it becomes available.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
MH is a standard award partner for NW so it requires no more miles than any other partner to Asia. One downside to the MH flights are that MH collects a fuel surcharge at checkin for these flights, its not included in any fees you pay at ticketing.

I'd personally take the 744C CI flight from LAX if it were available because of the new seats though you loose a few hours in international F compared to the JFK route...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.