Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by criced
But you can almost say JOON is a new member this year, unoficially 😉
It's not, really

If Joon actually operated any flights under its JN code - in the manner of another AF subsidiary, Transavia France, which sells flights under its own TO code - they would not count as Skyteam flights.

Joon is a "member" only to the extent that it is effectively a wet-lease operator, masquerading as AF mainline (similar to HOP, Regional, Britain, Cityjet, and all the other present and past AF affiliates and subsidiaries)
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by criced
But you can almost say JOON is a new member this year, unoficially 😉
Joon is not a Skyteam member, but they ar acting as a kind of franchise for AF (flights are exclusively marketed under AF code).
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by irishguy28
It is four years since any new airlines joined Skyteam. If you expect that an airline joins every year - or even just this year - you will be disappointed.

If anything, Skyteam is more likely to lose a member before it signs up a new one.
Yeah, we haven't hear any news about new airlines joined Skyteam for more than 4 years. I was hoping VS will eventually to joined SkyTeam.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah, we haven't hear any news about new airlines joined Skyteam for more than 4 years. I was hoping VS will eventually to joined SkyTeam.
Delta have filed an application for a new single joint venture, merging their existing DL-VS JV with their other "Skyteam" JV - with AFKL - though Alitalia has been left out.

While they say they would like AZ to join again in the future, it is at least as likely that AZ will end up being bought/cannibalised by a non-Skyteam airline, in which case it may no longer remain in Skyteam; or it may cease to exist (though AZ is the airline that always comes back, like the phoenix from the flames).

As regards VS, there appears no sound commercial reason for them to join Skyteam. That they can participate in the DL/Skyteam TATL JV is more than sufficient for everyone involved. Neither VS nor DL has shown much enthusiasm for having VS go through the rigmarole of applying for Skyteam membership.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Goldorak

Joon is not a Skyteam member, but they ar acting as a kind of franchise for AF (flights are exclusively marketed under AF code).
Remember : Joon is a rooftop bar... And sometimes, an airline (when AF is not striking).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:00 am

Why can't Delta let Virgin enter Skyteam? Will they let them after 2019 when AF-KLM entered the Virgin Atlantic scene?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by T.A.Music
Why can't Delta let Virgin enter Skyteam? Will they let them after 2019 when AF-KLM entered the Virgin Atlantic scene?
Do you have evidence that Delta is blocking Virgin's entry? My understanding (albeit a year or so ago) was that Virgin didn't really want to join an alliance.

-- Henry
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Henry III
Do you have evidence that Delta is blocking Virgin's entry? My understanding (albeit a year or so ago) was that Virgin didn't really want to join an alliance.

-- Henry
I remember the CEO of VS expressed his wishes to join ST when DL took the control, so it’s clearly DL who is “blocking” here. I think they assessed the costs of participating to the alliance were to high compared to potential benefits and so the JV DL/VS was sufficient. Of course it may change and I hope VS will join ST hopefully soon. Or at least it can become a FB partner when the new transatlantic JV (DL/AF/KL/VS, replacing DL/AF/KL/AZ) will be approved.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Another candidate is WestJet (WS). DL and WS just entered into a JV for N. America and WS is just about to take delivery of 10 Dreamliners. As yet they are not in any alliance.
So there's that.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Another candidate is WestJet (WS). DL and WS just entered into a JV for N. America and WS is just about to take delivery of 10 Dreamliners. As yet they are not in any alliance.
So there's that.
GOL would be also a good candidate for ST.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: FB Plat
Clear candidates are currently Jet Airways, WestJet, GOL and Virgin Atlantic.
This old article mentions that an Iranian airline could be interesting for Skyteam. Looking at the current politics, this will not happen anytime soon.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
This old article mentions that an Iranian airline could be interesting for Skyteam. Looking at the current politics, this will not happen anytime soon.
that will “never” happen (same for OW and *A). Remember already all the polemics in the US with SV in Skyteam ? So before an Iranian airline join an alliance...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:46 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I could see that there would be issues with the lounge access if VS would enter ST, unless they have another contract lounge that would be available and the Clubhouses left for the people with J seats and maybe upper tier elites. I love the access as a DL elite, so really don't want it to change since I'm getting the best of both worlds.

WestJet seems to be a natural partner though it's more low cost in nature at the moment but....
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
I don't think its happening anytime soon. They still in sanction. As long if the US president will removed sanction in near the future.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:48 pm

So far, our speculation for next new members are: Virgin Atlantic, Jet Airways, GOL, and WestJet. I would love to Air Serbia and Virgin Australia, though, as Air Serbia both codeshare with AFKLM, Air Europa, Alitalia, Aeroflot, and Tarom while Virgin Australia codeshares with Delta, Aeromexico, and Alitalia.

I wonder if we can find a suitable replacement for China Southern, however. Maybe not Hainan but like, Sichuan Airlines is the only suitable candidate so far.

By the way, Skyteam is the only alliance that didn't create their own 'connecting partners' so far. It's been 6 years since they planned to do so, as CAPA said: https://centreforaviation.com/analys...nd-india-83461

If they're finally making one, which airline would join? I think first would be Virgin Australia, Garuda's Citilink and Air France's JOON. WestJet and GOL can be candidates, too, but WestJet somehow is slowly becoming a full-service carrier, so full membership is probably the best for WestJet. Would be a gag-worthy if we can bring JetBlue to the alliance, though!

Last edited by T.A.Music; Nov 28, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.