Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
The Belarusian state carrier Belavia (B2) is allegedly in talks to join SkyTeam: http://www.tvr.by/rus/economics.asp?id=9338
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Here we go again.

SkyTeam expects to announce at least one and perhaps several new members this year and is talking with Malaysia Airlines and Vietnam Airlines, with China Eastern Airlines and China Airlines also in the picture, Chairman Leo van Wijk told Luchtvaartnieuws. The alliance currently has 11 full members and three associate members, one of which, Copa Airlines, "informally" has indicated its intention to leave. Former partner Continental Airlines is trading SkyTeam for Star Alliance in October and Copa likely will follow suit.
http://atwonline.com/news/other.html...e=4%2F3%2F2009
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
I wonder over how many years they need to "talk" in order to take some decisions?!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
I'll believe it when I see it, but Malaysia Airlines would mean that SkyTeam finally has an airline in the Top 10 Skytrax rated airlines.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do know that no one takes skytrax seriously, right? I mean that it is great that they rate Kingfisher so highly, maybe if one flew on one of their six or so foreign routes, one could swap notes?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 5:59 am

CI could have the biggest chance, being partner with many ST airlines for quite some years, and China Southern is wanting them in as well.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by nomad1974
I wonder over how many years they need to "talk" in order to take some decisions?!
Guessing 3-4 years, then all of a sudden they will try to "surprise" when they join the alliance

Last edited by UA Fan; Apr 9, 2009 at 8:39 pm
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
I'll believe it when I see it, but Malaysia Airlines would mean that SkyTeam finally has an airline in the Top 10 Skytrax rated airlines.
+1
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by hfly
You do know that no one takes skytrax seriously, right? I mean that it is great that they rate Kingfisher so highly, maybe if one flew on one of their six or so foreign routes, one could swap notes?
May be you don't, but to say "no one" does is a bit of a stretch. Part of the reason they exist is to give some comparison across the globe to people who don't leave their own country. Someone in practically every country of the world outside of the US could equally say "I mean that it is great that they rate JetBlue so highly, maybe if one flew on one of their six or so foreign routes, one could swap notes?"

But back to the topic, Gol appears to be inching closer to membership with a recent codeshare deal with AFKL - http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...yGoJFyhBblquCA
Old Apr 11, 2009, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but Skytrax, like Business traveller magazine has always suspiciously favored those airlines which throw incentives their way.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: Not decided
There will probably no more Sky Team within 5 years.

Originally Posted by soorox
who do u think will be the next skyteam member?

write suggestions in this thread.

my guesses are CI, GA, VN, MH??? and maybe a south american airline
Old Apr 12, 2009, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Yes, but Skytrax, like Business traveller magazine has always suspiciously favored those airlines which throw incentives their way.
Very true, although that's a different argument to the one you posed in your first post.

Originally Posted by Aziz
There will probably no more Sky Team within 5 years.
Please elaborate
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:18 am

There will probably be no OW in 5 years not ST.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
There will probably be no OW in 5 years not ST.
Despite the recent upheavals in ST (CO leaving, DL/NW merger, AFKL committing financial suicide ... plus the on-going, oft-repeated AZ saga), I think you're right, ual744777sta.

ST is, at least, looking for new partners (anyone know how the Tarom script is developing?), whereas the OW members seem to be sitting on their respective, arrogant past reputations.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Henry III

ST is, at least, looking for new partners (anyone know how the Tarom script is developing?), whereas the OW members seem to be sitting on their respective, arrogant past reputations.
Yeah but their search for partners is so painfully slow that it might die before adding more members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.