Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sh1982
If is it true that DL and JL are in talks which would logical mean JL switching to Sky i think that tittle goes to Oneworld
The supposed cooperation of both Delta and Air France to buy Japan Airlines would of course lead JAL out of the One World alliance for integration with Skyteam.

It would compensate the departure of Continental from Skyteam.

But these transfers are tricky: going out of an alliance involves heavy reinvestment in information systems.

If Japan Airlines has interest to be desirable and raise the stakes, there is no evidence that the deal will be signed for operational reasons.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:06 am

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
Originally Posted by Temedar
Or there is some major demand for scrap metal in France
^^^
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Henry III
Actually, FB Elites (or maybe just Elite+) get 'preferred' seats in Y (exit rows, bulkheads, etc) for free online, whereas ordinary folks pay (I think) 40 Euros.

-- Henry
That's a joke ! if all seat are occupied by the ones who payed 40 euros, you can cry with your Platinum status....
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
When VN officially joins SkyTeam, will they be forced to drop their code-share with AA in favour of Delta/NorthWest and code-share with them instead, logically it makes sense but I don't know what the outcome would be.

Also other OW code-shares to also be dropped? JL, CX, QF & AA
For sure the QF code-share won't last due to QF investing in their domestic rival, but they do have strong ties & extensive code-shares with JL & CX in Asia
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:58 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by soorox
When VN officially joins SkyTeam, will they be forced to drop their code-share with AA in favour of Delta/NorthWest and code-share with them instead, logically it makes sense but I don't know what the outcome would be.

For sure the QF code-share won't last due to QF investing in their domestic rival, but they do have strong ties & extensive code-shares with JL & CX in Asia
Not necessarily. For example, AF has a long standing codeshare with JAL which is still in place.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:44 am

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM); BD *G; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by soorox

Interesting.

VN codeshares on AA flights; there is not an AA code on any VN flight... this could easily vanish.

Also, the others I could see going away, but if VN dropped codesharing on QF, what would they replace it with to provide an Australian network? DJ?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
^^ VN already interlines with DJ for their flights to MEL & SYD, it says on DJ's website

off topic but VN now flies 5 weekly to MEL!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
I think AV and TA are on the way of joining SKY:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a9VY6IRt_Ykc

IF this really goes through and they join SKY i think this will solve the South American covarage problom with hubs in San Salvador,Bogota and Lima.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
I think AV and TA are on the way of joining SKY:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a9VY6IRt_Ykc

IF this really goes through and they join SKY i think this will solve the South American covarage problom with hubs in San Salvador,Bogota and Lima.
That article doesn't mention anything about SkyTeam, although it also doesn't mention what this means for Taca's stated intention to join Star Alliance - http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...join-star.html
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
That article doesn't mention anything about SkyTeam, although it also doesn't mention what this means for Taca's stated intention to join Star Alliance - http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...join-star.html
No it doesnt but with Avianca beeing in the drives seat (they have a 2/3 share in the new company) i think it is safe to say it is likely they will join SKY if you look at AV they have ties with DL and AF/KL.And also where else would they go Oneworld has LAN and * Alliance will soon have CM and JJ, there is now way that CM and AV will be in the same alliance.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
You may well be right, but people were saying something similar to this:
there is now way that CM and AV will be in the same alliance.
about Copa and Taca, and then they announce that they are entering Star on the same day.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
I posted a thread on AV-TA, CM-P5 and alliance membership in Other North and South America Frequent Flyer Programmes:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...n-america.html

I won't repeat myself here in order to avoid double-posting, but I would love to know what everyone else thinks about this... As well as any other news/articles you come across on the subject.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:26 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
A Push for Malaysian?

Air Asia X is starting flights to Nice soon and Sarkozy has announced this week that they will get the necessary authorisations to fly to Orly soon.

Thids adds up to a lot of extra competition on the France-Malaysia (SE Asia) routes and somewhat changes the playing field.

Could that be enough to finally get MH in Skyteam?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
Originally Posted by jsfr
Thids adds up to a lot of extra competition on the France-Malaysia (SE Asia) routes and somewhat changes the playing field.

Could that be enough to finally get MH in Skyteam?

I really hope so... Skyteam needs a South-East Asian partner really badly. Hopefully AF won't be able (or won't really have a good reason) to veto MH's entry once Air Asia X flies direct to both Nice and Orly...

Having both MH and VN in Skyteam wouldn't be bad at all!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: DL GM & CRC
China Eastern merging with Shanghai Airlines might mean getting another Chinese carrier in SkyTeam.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=18149

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.