Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Icelandair is nothing, 15 narrowbody planes? yes they have a practical monopoly to Iceland, but so what?? Anyone could have bought them over the last 5 years by just assuming their debt. There is nothing there.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
Huh? That's not at all true. Skyteam is number one in Africa (and China) by far. Have you looked at the routes? Especially all the new KQ destinations popping up regularly, with lots more to come. Plus Nairobi is a much, much, nicer place to have a hub than Addis. Star doesn't go to half the places that ST goes to in Africa. That said, it's good to have top status in both and OW too because a number of African cities are covered by only one alliance.
*A has MS, ET, and SA. Compared to ST with only KQ.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:23 am

copa is out of the alliance running wednesday is the day they join star alliance. They already have planes with the star alliance logo and have a 737 already in the star alliance livery. I think with the switch to Millage Plus from the One Pass a ffp for them earlier this year they will not rejoin sky team
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
*A has MS, ET, and SA. Compared to ST with only KQ.
You are forgetting AF and KL. They fly to several unique African destinations. And KQ flies to many places that MS, ET and SA do not. Plus like I said Nairobi is a way better hub city than what ET (and MS) offers. JNB of course is fine and good.

Who else flies from Europe to FIH? BZV? ABJ? OUA? And who else flies to places like JUB? BJM?, etc. Skyteam only. Even for places like KGL where everyone wants to go now, Skyteam has loads of flights per day and the other alliances have only one per day I think.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
You are forgetting AF and KL. They fly to several unique African destinations. And KQ flies to many places that MS, ET and SA do not. Plus like I said Nairobi is a way better hub city than what ET (and MS) offers. JNB of course is fine and good.

Who else flies from Europe to FIH? BZV? ABJ? OUA? And who else flies to places like JUB? BJM?, etc. Skyteam only. Even for places like KGL where everyone wants to go now, Skyteam has loads of flights per day and the other alliances have only one per day I think.
SN and TK have decent African networks even from outside Africa. I agree that SkyTeam has very good coverage of Africa, especially in terms of number of destinations served, but in terms of ASMs, *A is probably bigger.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL

SN and TK have decent African networks even from outside Africa. I agree that SkyTeam has very good coverage of Africa, especially in terms of number of destinations served, but in terms of ASMs, *A is probably bigger.
With more members in tow across the size spectrum, it's not surprising that *A has more ASMs. That does not mean they have more ASM's in a given market or a given city pair.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's been reported--and confirmed on delta.dumb where mileage earning rates on partners are given--that Jet and Kingfisher are terminating their partnerships with DL in October. That would seem to make their joining SkyTeam less likely, but perhaps not totally impossible. They are currently SkyMiles partners for accrual and redemption, but not codeshare partners.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Well, I did not forget AF and KL. In fact, when it comes to connectivity, unique destinations served by each alliance is one way to look at it. Yes, KL and AF does have some good services to Africa, and KQ has a good hub too.

I was also refering to the fact that Star Alliance connects Africa to other continents such as one-stop destinations to North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. ST, while having its own strengths (KL and AF only connects Africa to Europe), does not have the same diverse connectivity as SA, ET and MS ... which is why I hope ST will strengthen its membership.

Originally Posted by J_Fleish
copa is out of the alliance running wednesday is the day they join star alliance. They already have planes with the star alliance logo and have a 737 already in the star alliance livery. I think with the switch to Millage Plus from the One Pass a ffp for them earlier this year they will not rejoin sky team
thanks for the news update!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by azpyre
I was also refering to the fact that Star Alliance connects Africa to other continents such as one-stop destinations to North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. ST, while having its own strengths (KL and AF only connects Africa to Europe), does not have the same diverse connectivity as SA, ET and MS ... which is why I hope ST will strengthen its membership.
Again, not true at all. KQ has many flights to Europe. I take their morning NBO-AMS flight often. And KQ has non-stop flights to BKK, DEL, BOM, DXB and one stop to China as well as code-share to SYD. Soon with the new terminal KQ should start with non-stops to North America with the 787's that will start arriving soon. And of course AF and KL have one-stop to darn near the whole world. Not to mention AZ!

ST doesn't really need to add any more carriers, but AT would certainly be a "nice to have" addition.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:38 pm

The only real area sky team needs to add to their network is Canadian Carrier which will be a big gain for them to add canadian domestic network to their already big network that and India and a bigger south american network cuz no offence to anyone but Aerolinas Argentina can only do so much for them would be a huge gain with either AI, 9W, WS and gol but 9W, AI, and WS would be ideal
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by J_Fleish
The only real area sky team needs to add to their network is Canadian Carrier which will be a big gain for them to add canadian domestic network to their already big network that and India and a bigger south american network cuz no offence to anyone but Aerolinas Argentina can only do so much for them would be a huge gain with either AI, 9W, WS and gol but 9W, AI, and WS would be ideal
Oceania is also a pretty big white spot. India is a wash for everyone right now.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Again, not true at all. KQ has many flights to Europe. I take their morning NBO-AMS flight often. And KQ has non-stop flights to BKK, DEL, BOM, DXB and one stop to China as well as code-share to SYD. Soon with the new terminal KQ should start with non-stops to North America with the 787's that will start arriving soon. And of course AF and KL have one-stop to darn near the whole world. Not to mention AZ!

ST doesn't really need to add any more carriers, but AT would certainly be a "nice to have" addition.
You seem to be a big fan of KQ. Good for you.
While I did not say that ST's coverage in Africa is non-existent, I did say that I wish it would improve.

And while you may not agree with me, I feel that the Star Alliance coverage of Africa is today better than ST. Yes KQ has good destinations, and AF/KL has good links Europe-Africa. But as of today, it's easier to get from Singapore to Africa, Perth to Africa, Toronto to Africa and Sao Paolo to Africa direct on Star Alliance.

In the future, KQ will have more connections linking the world to Africa. In the future, Star Alliance will improve too.

And if, according to you, ST really doesn't need to add anymore carriers, then I'll be very sad. I like ST. With due respect to your opinion, I personally hope they would add to their membership.

Last edited by azpyre; Jun 19, 2012 at 4:27 am
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:02 am

Will be interesting..
DL said Air Nigeria may join ST

American airline flying into Nigeria, Delta Air Lines says it has airlifted over 2.5 million passengers out of African continent in the last five years just as it insists it has no plan to shrink its African market. The airline also said that the country’s flag carrier, Air Nigeria has a great chance of joining the SkyTeam alliance with its safety records and continuous growth in the continent. The Managing Director, Network Planning Transatlantic, Delta Air Lines, Mr. Jeff Lobl made this disclosure yesterday at the airline’s headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia during a tour of the airline’s office by journalists from Nigeria. According to Lobl, since the airline commenced flight operations to Africa in December 2006, it has been able to capture 20 per cent of the market, saying plans are under way to capture more markets in future. Lobl described Africa as the world’s fastest growing economy, stressing that the airline with its capacities could contribute to the continent’s economies.

He said, “We are the leading carrier from America to Africa. We started flight operations to the continent in December 2006 with the JFK-Acrra and Atlanta-Dakar-Johannesburg flights. We started Lagos-Atlanta in 2007 while we added the Abuja-New York in 2009.

He, however, declined to comment if the airline would increase its operations in the continent in the next couple of years, stressing that if the need requires, it would not hesitate to do so.

“Since then, we have not looked back and I’m happy to tell you that we are very pleased with our growth in the continent. Our growth on the continent depends on the environment. We have very ambitious plans and we are executing the plans. For now, there is no immediate plan to add another city into our operations in the continent, but we are looking at options.”

On the challenges from Asian carriers, he explained that the airline acknowledged the challenge from that part of the world, stressing that competition actually brings out the best from businesses.

Also, the Vice President, Alliance, Interline and Industry Affairs, Delta, Mr. Charlie Pappas described the partnership with Air Nigeria as a good development for the airline, saying that both carriers complement each other.

Pappas said that for the airline to further capture the continent’s market, there is a need for the partnership to be developed, adding that the SkyTeam alliance was opened to the airline.

He said, “The alliance is opened to Air Nigeria to join, but we feel we should start gradually and as time goes on, we can improve on the alliance, probably becoming a member of the SkyTeam. Air Nigeria has a tremendous safety operations and they are growing regionally. That is key and in our opinion, if they can improve beyond the region, they have a better chance of joining us because there is no airline that can do it alone.”
last news that I heard, Air Nigeria were grounded for a while (for some reason).
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Air Nigeria is a DL codeshare partner (same status as WestJet and Royal Air Maroc), but you can neither earn nor redeem SkyMiles on them.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Air Nigeria is a DL codeshare partner (same status as WestJet and Royal Air Maroc), but you can neither earn nor redeem SkyMiles on them.
Agreed

if you want to know, IndiGo ever codeshare with SA.. (i don't know the updates after that. maybe ended)

IndiGo codeshare with SAA

Also, 9W probably will codeshare with GA (future member) to its flights from India to Indonesia. (I think as GA will open Indian routes this year, maybe will be likely)

9W will codeshare with GA (sorry in Indonesian)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.