Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Wow! I didn't see it coming. When MF is officially join the SkyTeam? Which year is that?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:34 pm

Well, this basically cements SkyTeam's dominance in China, eh?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Well, this basically cements SkyTeam's dominance in China, eh?
That was my thought, too. It's becoming a bit of "Which Chinese airlines aren't in SkyTeam?"
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mtkeller
That was my thought, too. It's becoming a bit of "Which Chinese airlines aren't in SkyTeam?"
lol, true.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by N830MH
Wow! I didn't see it coming. When MF is officially join the SkyTeam? Which year is that?
Easily understood and predictable. Xiamen is a CZ-owned subsidiary--basically just CZ under another operating name but due to origins and politics, keep the regional/local "Xiamen" identity. There are others under CZ, as well, which eventually might get folded into the ST umbrella.

If you look at which subsidiaries are part of CZ and MU, the big Chinese ST players, it will be clear how things will probably head over the next several years. The odd Alliance out in domestic China is OW, the odd domestic Chinese airline left unaffiliated is the Hainan conglomeration of brands. But there are impediments to those two odd-outs hooking up.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Very interesting information/perspective, Your Excellency! (I've never seen the title of "FlyerTalk Ambassador" before ... sounds cool to me! )

-- Henry
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Henry III
Very interesting information/perspective, Your Excellency! (I've never seen the title of "FlyerTalk Ambassador" before ... sounds cool to me! )

-- Henry
Yeah, but unfortunately my FT "credentials" don't allow me to use the Diplomat queues at worldwide Immigration checkpoints, which would be truly cool.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by jiejie
Yeah, but unfortunately my FT "credentials" don't allow me to use the Diplomat queues at worldwide Immigration checkpoints, which would be truly cool.
Do you at least get diplomatic immunity? If nothing else, it should protect you from flames on FT
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jiejie
My FF credentials allow me to use the diplomatic queues at HKG.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:12 am

Do you at least get diplomatic immunity? If nothing else, it should protect you from flames on FT
You'd think I'd have that privilege, but some FT'ers are a rowdy lot with no respect for the Office!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:38 pm
Suspended

This factoid gives some *Alliance hopes that 9W could still join * even if AI is manages to get past the gate.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines are IN!

"BEIJING, 21 June 2011China Eastern and its subsidiary Shanghai Airlines officially joined the SkyTeam global airline alliance at a ceremony held in Beijing today."

Full info:
http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-Us/P...Joins-SkyTeam/
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by nomad1974
"BEIJING, 21 June 2011China Eastern and its subsidiary Shanghai Airlines officially joined the SkyTeam global airline alliance at a ceremony held in Beijing today."

Full info:
http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-Us/P...Joins-SkyTeam/
Wow! Very awesome!! Best of luck to MU will have a great addition to joins the SkyTeam Alliance.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:06 am

Programs: TK*S, KF Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
MAS had announced in June that it would start flying as part of the oneworld alliance from late next year, a decision executed by former managing director Tengku Datuk Seri Azmil Zahruddin. However, aviation analysts were told on Tuesday that the current MAS management was re-evaluating the decision, and that opting for membership with another alliance, SkyTeam, would serve the airline better as there would be no route overlap.
http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...6&sec=business
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:25 am

ummm..
Air China? *A
Shenzhen Airlines -> Going *A
Cathay Pacific -> OW
Hainan -> Independant, rumours are they want to go either *A or OW

Of course, ST gets to pick all the "high quality" airlines like Eastern, Xiamen, Southern.. (I don't know Xiamen, but I'm rating Eastern as the worst, Southern as the second worst airline from the big players in China)

As usual, ST picks up whatever left/got rejected by the others, like Air India.. which will make another great addition to RejectTeam

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.