Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Henry III
I just came into the AF lounge at CDG 2E and noticed a sign outside saying, "JAL passengers are welcome in the Salon Air France." Now, if that's not a dead give-away, what is?

-- Henry
JAL codeshares with AF which may be the reason? http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/200906/001245.html
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
I just came into the AF lounge at CDG 2E and noticed a sign outside saying, "JAL passengers are welcome in the Salon Air France." Now, if that's not a dead give-away, what is?

-- Henry
Nothing to do with SkyTeam. As Supersonic Swinger mentioned, JL and AF codeshare. In fact all direct FR-JP routes are codeshared by both airlines. That's why. JL does not have its own lounge at CDG.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:47 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nomad1974
Nothing to do with SkyTeam. As Supersonic Swinger mentioned, JL and AF codeshare. In fact all direct FR-JP routes are codeshared by both airlines. That's why. JL does not have its own lounge at CDG.
Yes, most airlines that codeshare on a particular route linking hubs with no lounge at the other end do this. Same applies to Aeroflot and Cathay (codeshare) in which Aeroflot Golds and Business pax can use CX lounges at HKG.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
However, AF & JL have had codeshares for quite a while but only recently have I noticed the invitation to JL pax at the AF lounge. And, inside, there was a section fenced off with a 'quick-fix' type of sign saying the area was exclusively for JL First Class pax (so they don't get into the La Premiere lounge, I guess).

-- Henry
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:39 am

However, AF & JL have had codeshares for quite a while but only recently have I noticed the invitation to JL pax at the AF lounge. And, inside, there was a section fenced off with a 'quick-fix' type of sign saying the area was exclusively for JL First Class pax (so they don't get into the La Premiere lounge, I guess).

-- Henry
Interesting, so what lounge were JL pax using before? In any case I REALLY don't think this has anything to do with the possibility of JL joining SkyTeam. The latter will arise (if it does) from any decision of the JP government to go for DL - as opposed to AA - as a major investor in JL. Nothing to do with AF, AFAIK.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:55 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Interesting, so what lounge were JL pax using before?
JL used to have its own, smallish lounge, landside, in 2F.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:57 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Nothing to do with AF, AFAIK.
Well, the long standing partnership with AF, as well as the financing AF is rumored to bring would, reportedly, seem to be a strong point in DL's proposal.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Well, the long standing partnership with AF, as well as the financing AF is rumored to bring would, reportedly, seem to be a strong point in DL's proposal.
I agree. But I still don't think that the fact that JL now uses the AF lounge is directly related to any decision on DL/AF investing in JL and the latter eventually coming into SkyTeam. IMHO the two are coincidential.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:12 pm

I agree. But I still don't think that the fact that JL now uses the AF lounge is directly related to any decision on DL/AF investing in JL and the latter eventually coming into SkyTeam. IMHO the two are coincidential.
You're most certainly right. But the fact that JL flies out of 2E (any other OW or *Alliance airline doing that ?), after moving out of 2F2 and joining One World shows the strength of the AF/JL relationship, regardless of any alliance membership.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
GOL???

What do you think are the chances that GOL will join Skyteam? I seen where KLM and GOL signed new codeshare agreements and Air France is increasing their cooperation with GOL.

Jwhuffman
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:19 am

Bumpy ride ahead

"...American Airlines Chairman and CEO Gerard Arpey said yesterday that AA continues to engage in discussions with JAL and the Japanese government regarding its offer to invest in the troubled airline. He said JAL would be "unwise" to enter into a partnership with Delta Air Lines and switch from oneworld to SkyTeam, adding that AA would "move aggressively to block" a JAL-DL tie-up on antitrust grounds. He noted that JAL/DL would control around 65% of the Japan-US market, "making a mockery" and "absolute farce" of the recently agreed US-Japan open skies."

Source: http://www.atwonline.com/news/other....=1%2F21%2F2010
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
"AA would "move aggressively to block" a JAL-DL tie-up on antitrust grounds
1. You make threats only when you are afraid of an event/when this event is plausible
2. The anti-trust argument will not be pertinent if the new JAL concentrates its operations on domestic flights
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: AFKL Plat STE+ (LT), OZ Diam+ *G (LT), QF Gold OWS (LTG 83%)
Originally Posted by nicolas75
1. You make threats only when you are afraid of an event/when this event is plausible
2. The anti-trust argument will not be pertinent if the new JAL concentrates its operations on domestic flights
Plus it sounds so un-Japanesely plain-speaking and rude ("aggressively, making a mockery, unwise") especially in the business milieu.

I see an eructing fat American guy displeased for having being sided by his chap in front of a calm and tight-lipped skinny Japanese.

Sounds so cliché to me ! Being rude is awowing failure and weakness in that context, not the recipe for a turnaround decision.

Personnaly I would regret the JL 1st class lounge, I could have access with my OW E status. Otherwise, I don't care.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue, ANA
Absolutely. JAL moved to 2E and is using AF lounge since June 17th, 2009, well before the AA/DL fight warmed up.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
This might be a stupid question, but I've always hoped VS would join ST, purely for the reason that I fly JFK-LHR often and much prefer the VS product over DL...does VS just have no desire to join any alliance? Obviously oneworld would be out, and could imagine that AF/KL would be against ST membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.