FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SkyTeam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam-412/)
-   -   10,000 Miles- Which program? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam/878316-10-000-miles-program.html)

bsb21 Oct 18, 2008 4:32 pm

10,000 Miles- Which program?

Hi!

A friend of mine will be flying 10,000 miles in a TATL roundtrip, on KLM and AF.
She does not need the miles, so I will be able to use them.

Which SkyTeam carrier actually allows you to do something w/10K miles?

I know that Alitalia has 10K mile upgrades within Europe, but no one is sure if Alitalia will be around long enough.

neuromancer Oct 19, 2008 9:46 am

You can also do upgrades with AF/KL, but you must have an (almost) full fare economy ticket. Or you can get a one-way short flight in Zone 1 (between France, UK, Germany, Benelux, Switzerland) for 10k miles and ~100 EUR in taxes/fuel surcharges (AF and KL flights only).

cfischer Oct 19, 2008 9:52 am

what is the booking class? If it's a cheap Y ticket it might only earn 0-25% in most ST programs ... so check that first before deciding. 10k doesn't get you much ... a o/w promo award intra-Europe should be 5-7.5k

bsb21 Oct 22, 2008 11:11 am

There are segments in Q,V, and L classes.

Will they earn full mileage flown?

neuromancer Oct 23, 2008 2:40 am

L on AF flight is 50% long-haul, 25% short-haul
V on KL flight is 25%
All this if you credit to Flying Blue

bsb21 Oct 23, 2008 6:11 pm

If I credit to an american carrier (ex. Delta), I would get the full miles flown. Correct?

cfischer Oct 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by bsb21 (Post 10568051)
If I credit to an american carrier (ex. Delta), I would get the full miles flown. Correct?

nope.

What is the class for each carrier ... this will help. I presume Q/L is AF and V is KL?

bsb21 Oct 23, 2008 7:48 pm

Yup, V is KLM.

Here is what Delta says about getting AF miles.

"Economy Class: 500 miles minimum or actual miles flown, whichever is greater
Business Class: 150% of mileage
First Class: 150% of mileage

Mileage may be earned on Air France-coded flights operated by Air France or any SkyTeam partner. Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in A, L, N, O, G, or X class, for Air France travel via boat/ferry service, Part Dieu Railway Service, or for flights to/from Havana, Cuba."

Does this not mean that I gets all my miles?

cfischer Oct 30, 2008 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by bsb21 (Post 10568464)
Yup, V is KLM.

Here is what Delta says about getting AF miles.

"Economy Class: 500 miles minimum or actual miles flown, whichever is greater
Business Class: 150% of mileage
First Class: 150% of mileage

Mileage may be earned on Air France-coded flights operated by Air France or any SkyTeam partner. Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in A, L, N, O, G, or X class, for Air France travel via boat/ferry service, Part Dieu Railway Service, or for flights to/from Havana, Cuba."

Does this not mean that I gets all my miles?

not for AF flights in L-class

blueclub Oct 31, 2008 3:28 am

You should also be aware of the much higher redemption level needed if you bank the miles with Delta, both AF/KLM and AZ will give you much better returns. Of course 10K is not a lot but if you add to it 5K you will already have enough for a inter-european flight at special rates (AF/KLM often has sales at 50% of required mileage)

bsb21 Oct 31, 2008 10:45 am

Which of the SkyTeam carriers will allow 10,000 mile upgrades on flights NOT purchased in Full Fare Economy? I know that Alitalia is one. Not sure about NWA.

Also, this award needs to be transferable.