Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Help Booking on Partner Airlines thru Aeroflot

Help Booking on Partner Airlines thru Aeroflot

Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Smile Help Booking on Partner Airlines thru Aeroflot

I have Delta Skymiles and my friend in Russia has Aeroflot miles. He is trying to book a flight for his mom from SAV-LED. Aeroflot has told him they only fly JFK-SVO and Partner Airlines will not allow Aeroflot to book on them from the USA. This requires his mom to buy tickets SAV-JFK and SVO-LED. In addition they quoted him $458 in fees. When his mom called their NY Office she was told the same, but only $350 in fees.

I can book SAV-LED using Delta miles and Partner Airlines, (Aeroflot doesn't appear on any legs). Has anyone else experienced this with their Aeroflot miles??? or is Aeroflot giving them the run around???

I've tried search and Aeroflots website and the best I can see Aeroflot CAN use Partners, but you can not book or see Partners on their website. My friends travel dates are somewhat flexible in Dec.

I know I can book her a flight with my miles and he can return the favor with his Aeroflot miles, but I would have the same problem going from AVL to JFK so his miles won't help me either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I think SU should be able to book partners since they are part of ST. Its a reciprocal arrangement, if DL can book on SU so can SU on DL and other ST members.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I think SU should be able to book partners since they are part of ST. Its a reciprocal arrangement, if DL can book on SU so can SU on DL and other ST members.
It isn't quite that simple. The reward reciprocity is actually negotiated bilaterally between all the airlines directly, not as some master agreement. To wit: One cannot book a reward seat of any kind using CO miles on KQ metal. It is not possible because CO and KQ have not negotiated the appropriate arrangement. My guess is that they never will based on the pending CO departure from SkyTeam.

That being said, I'd be shocked if the SU rules really did only allow for a Russia-USA reward on their metal and not permitting connections onward. Of course, I don't know any of the nuance or detail of their program so this is just conjecture, but it seems that it should be permissible. Have you tried calling back to talk to a different rep?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Interesting ST is worse than I thot.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
It isn't quite that simple. The reward reciprocity is actually negotiated bilaterally between all the airlines directly, not as some master agreement. To wit: One cannot book a reward seat of any kind using CO miles on KQ metal. It is not possible because CO and KQ have not negotiated the appropriate arrangement. My guess is that they never will based on the pending CO departure from SkyTeam.

That being said, I'd be shocked if the SU rules really did only allow for a Russia-USA reward on their metal and not permitting connections onward. Of course, I don't know any of the nuance or detail of their program so this is just conjecture, but it seems that it should be permissible. Have you tried calling back to talk to a different rep?
Yes we tried several times as I know the rep can sometimes be the problem or the solution. I wasn't aware of the first part of your answer, and naively thought all partners could use all partners. I knew BA and AA couldn't share Transatlantic, but BA could use AA to get me to JFK then BA to London. I was hoping the addition of Aeroflot would eventually help me get to Siberia on one ticket, but that looks unobtainable now.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:21 am

Programs: DL PT, SPG Gold, Amex PT
Originally Posted by ncvet61
I was hoping the addition of Aeroflot would eventually help me get to Siberia on one ticket, but that looks unobtainable now.
I've used DE Skymiles to fly SU metal LAX-SVO-DXB R/T. I see no reason why Skymiles would not get you as far as Siberia.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbreeze
I've used DE Skymiles to fly SU metal LAX-SVO-DXB R/T. I see no reason why Skymiles would not get you as far as Siberia.
I actually fly into Kurgan, just over the Ural Mountains, the begining of Siberia, and Aeroflot doesn't fly there yet. Only one flight a day and that can vary on days and times each month.... Depends on which airline...???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.