Wiki Posts
Search

Air France flight change for Skyteam member

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Air France flight change for Skyteam member

Hi,
I have a flight booked with Air France from Cairo to Paris and then Paris to Newark, NJ that I would like to move up by a few days. I called and they said there was a $200 change fee, which would be charged regardless of whether I did it in advance or just tried my luck by showing up at the airport the day of the earlier flight and seeing if there were empty seats I could get on. (i have done this in the past for an international flight with American Airlines, and I wasn't charged anything). Is what Air France is saying actually correct- that they will charge me $200 to get on that earlier flight even if there is space?
Also....please note I have delta silver medallion status...does that help at all?
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:20 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi Jenni,

Yes, the European airlines tend to be very protective of their revenue, and thus do not allow for same day standby, unless you are on a full flex fare and are not subject to a change fee.

I've tried this on AF and Swiss, with no luck whatsoever. And your status doesn't make a difference, as I tried it with AF while being a Flying Blue Platinum.

So I fear that you will either have to make do with your current plans, or pay the change fee.

Cheers,
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It isn't just European carriers - all airlines are protective of their revenue and are loathe to allow free changes on discounted fares. That's the trade-off you make when you buy a cheap fare. The flexible fares that allow such changes are generally much more expensive.

In addition to the change fee you might also be subject to any fare difference. So if the flight on the new date costs $1000 and you only paid $800 for yours, you'd have to pay the $200 change fee plus the $200 fare difference.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
this is cross-posted in the AF forum. Cross-posting is a FT TOC violation.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:54 am
Community Director Emerita

Hi Jennif102. We're happy that you have found FlyerTalk. We ask that members post their questions in one forum. Many of us read a wide range of forums, so you get our attention with just one post. Since your Air France post has gotten some good attention, I am going to lock this thread. Anyone who has information to add, please do so here.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.