Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Continental Leaving Skyteam for Star Alliance!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Leaving Skyteam for Star Alliance!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by deejboram
I'm finding them EWR-GRU-EWR and also IAH-GRU-IAH for my dates. While Delta has nothing ATL-GRU-ATL and nothing JFK-GRU-JFK. Basically, from Nov - Feb DL is zero'd out of Saver seats but CO has a few Saver seats sprinkled around.
If you find space and your travel schedule is unlikely to be revised by you, then I'd suggest making your award ticket reservation whenever space is available for dates that work for you. This would be true with or without this deal.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My guess is that US will go into bankruptcy liquidation and assets be sold off, and UA will go back into backruptcy protection by the time this goes through.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:07 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
I have a transatlantic award trip in Feb 09, DL BE out, CO BF back. I assume that will be untouched even if CO officially breaks away from ST by then?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
I have a transatlantic award trip in Feb 09, DL BE out, CO BF back. I assume that will be untouched even if CO officially breaks away from ST by then?
I have used some CO awards before, but now I usually transfer miles from AMEX to CO for their flights. I always have a hard time using DL SM.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:59 pm
Suspended

The advantage for DL is that they will be the only ST carrier in the NYC area once CO joins *A.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
Pretty safe assumption. Enjoy your DL BE & CO BF trip.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The advantage for DL is that they will be the only ST carrier in the NYC area once CO joins *A.
DL's beefing up international operations at JFK wasn't CO's ideal situation given it acted as competition over Manhattan's deep pockets.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: lots (DL, CO, WN, US) but no status anywhere
Originally Posted by ssk1127
I don't see this as a big loss to NW/DL as long as they use this opportunity to bulk up Latin/South American routes. I do think this leaves the door open to keep the MEM hub to have a solid presence in the southern Plains/Texas region.

Biggest downside for me will be lack of SkyTeam to CRP (where the in-laws live).
I somehow doubt NW/DL will beef up its routes to Central/South America. I remember a family trip to Belize where the only way to use SkyMiles involved three of four legs on CO metal.

It's really a shame because even the coach seats in CO came with a reasonable snack (small sandwich, cookie-type thing) though it's been a while so maybe CO has done away with that...
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:17 pm

May have something to do with AC ?

Originally Posted by crux
maybe they are expecting UA and US to go under and like the idea of being the only Star alliance member left standing on domestic routes?

CO may be after some of Air Canada's turf as Air Canada is in the process
of looking for a buyer....

Many Canadians will be quite happy to say goodbye to Air Canada as it is now as long as something BETTER comes along ....

WestJet doesn't have the cash-flow to buy it...neither does UA nor US...
WHO's left with a bag of cash (or good credit) these days BUT . . . CO
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:21 pm

Hello...

Originally Posted by amanuensis
Maybe they'll invite Alaska into the alliance.
Horizon/Alaska is already a DL partner; doubt they'll go over to *A.

Last edited by Boston_Bulldog; Jun 19, 2008 at 9:26 pm
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MilkyWayDreams
I somehow doubt NW/DL will beef up its routes to Central/South America.
I, too, would be surprised to see a major increase in NW/DL flights to Central and South America.

I'm not sure that Central America is that lucrative of a market. If it was, then you would think that AA would be doing a lot better. South America, I suspect is more lucrative, but I'm not sure CO really brings that much to the table there. DL actually serves more markets than CO in SA.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
Horizon/Alaska is already a DL partner; doubt they'll go over to *A.
Correct! DL has been continuation codeshare with AS for awhile but, I don't think AS will ever leave anytime soon. Its should considered AS will ever joins the Skyteam instead of Oneworld. AA is still more loyally choice with codeshare of Alaska. I am feels confidence from DL will kept AS for a long time. What about more mostly important from Alaska will ever expanded more codeshare partner with DL?

Obvisouly, you will never knows it before. Perhaps, AS will continuation for searching more codeshare partner with DL from SLC, ATL, CVG hub.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sedna90377
Why was CO so eager to leave Skyteam?
Yes, Because CO are leaving from Skyteam and now on, CO will joins into Star Alliance. I am truly sad to see CO is leave from Skyteam. I didn't likes it fly on CO very often. Because DL has gave everyone the half MQM is 50% discount does not good for everyone at all.

What about NW will ever removable CO codeshare partners soon as possible. I'm sure NW&DL will kept the flight for awhile. I'm not feels a concerns from CO will be in Star Alliance will along with LH, US, UA, AC, NZ, NH, SQ, TG, OS, BD, LO, TP, CA, OZ, and others, too. Its will be very extremely difficultly time when CO is leaving from Skyteam.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
CO may be after some of Air Canada's turf as Air Canada is in the process
of looking for a buyer....

Many Canadians will be quite happy to say goodbye to Air Canada as it is now as long as something BETTER comes along ....

WestJet doesn't have the cash-flow to buy it...neither does UA nor US...
WHO's left with a bag of cash (or good credit) these days BUT . . . CO
Nobody is going to be paying cash to buy another airline. The question being asked by everyone is how much money do you have in the bank and it is never enough. Every airlines is loosing money and the only hope is the money will outlast the current high priced oil. Any airline mergers within the US will need to be stock swaps--not a cash buy out.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: lots (DL, CO, WN, US) but no status anywhere
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I, too, would be surprised to see a major increase in NW/DL flights to Central and South America.

I'm not sure that Central America is that lucrative of a market. If it was, then you would think that AA would be doing a lot better. South America, I suspect is more lucrative, but I'm not sure CO really brings that much to the table there. DL actually serves more markets than CO in SA.
Does AA have that many flights to Central America? I know CO had a bunch routed out of IAH, and that probably works for them because the flying time is 2-3 hours. Unfortunately, DL flights take longer because they're out of ATL rather than IAH or MCO and, honestly, it's disappointing to be offered two Biscoff cookies/granola bars on a 4 hr flight to the USVI that flies during lunchtime (coach award ticket). I liked the CO service much better, especially for returning to TLH.

The real question is what folks with miles in OnePass and SkyMiles should do before CO leaves ST... Thoughts anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.