Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Possible new ST partner announced at end of May??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible new ST partner announced at end of May??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by DanTravels
I thought Bangkok was owned by Thai - seems like it'd be kinda tricky if Thai is in *A. Am I mixed up (more than usual)?
Bangkok Airways PG is privately owned. Mostly by one politically well connected guy. AFIK TG has no financial interest at all.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and its a great little airline.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I thought would-be members had to do an 'apprentiship' with a SkyTeam patner (like recently appointed Kenya just did).

Can an airline just sign up 'out of the blue'?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwilson831
I thought would-be members had to do an 'apprentiship' with a SkyTeam patner (like recently appointed Kenya just did).

Can an airline just sign up 'out of the blue'?
Sure. CO and NW joined in as full members. So did SU. The associate airlines all joined by virtue of their using the sponsor's FF program as their FF program. I don't know if the new members that are expected would be full or associate members.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 6:25 pm

Apparently it's Vietnam Airlines:

http://www.vnbusinessnews.com/2008/0...n-skyteam.html
Old Jun 18, 2008, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
When I can expect to see Vietnam will eventually join into Skyteam? I'm sure IT will expected joins into Skyteam, too. If Skyteam member of board will makes decision for which specific airlines will joins into ST. I don't see anything more logical choice from Vietnam will eventually entrance the alliances. If they are subjected to government approval.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Interesting that they released the news "that formal discussions with fast-growing Vietnam Airlines are set to begin soon in Hanoi." That isn't really convincing in terms of making me think that an announcement is coming. On the plus side seeing them coming in as a full member is nice.

The couple flights we did with them internally in Vietnam were pretty pleasant. One was an ATR-72 and the other was an A321 with a domestic F setup. Overall good service on both.

I also just checked on the visa rule and it looks like you're OK in transit, as long as you don't want to leave the airport:

National U.S.A. (US) /Embarkation THAILAND (TH)
Transit VIETNAM (VN) /Destination INDIA (IN)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

VIETNAM (VN)

Visa not required provided continuing on the same day and holding confirmed return or onward ticket.

Leaving the airport transit area is not allowed.

If arriving by Vietnam Airlines only, it is possible to obtain
a transit visa on arrival, provided holding letter from
Vietnamese Immigration confirming that a visa will be issued on arrival. Fee: USD 25.-. Also see: For details, click here .
VN isn't a bad option to have in the region but they offer very little help connecting the dots on a RTW option getting from SE Asia to the sub-continent or central Asia. You can get around within SE Asia reasonably well, but headed west you've got BKK and then SVO/FRA/CDG as your options. They do provide another option for SYD/MEL, which is nice.

Maybe US Gateway - ICN-SYD/MEL-SGN-BKK-NBO/CDG/AMS/FCO-AUA/BON/CUR-US Gateway would work OK.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I think VN is a decent addition but not nearly as exciting as MH would have been. VN isn't going to provide much that CZ doesn't already.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
AFAIK, VN also provide the only nonstop flights between Europe and Vietnam, which is nice as well, especially if you want to connect further than SGN or HAN.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Krisflyer Gold, Die-hard Saint's fan !
Originally Posted by Serpentos
I bet on JET Airways, Vietnam airlines and maybe a brazilian one for the LatAm
one out of three ! When the 2 others will be announced
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Well, SkyTeam is losing Continental, so they may need another new partner to fill that gap. If Copa goes with Continental then there is a big hole in Central America that will need to be filled, as well as from N. America to Mexico/Latin America. DL has a few flights but not nearly as many as CO.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by sbm12
If Copa goes with Continental
As I understand it, CO have been divesting from CM lately and no longer have more than 10% of it. Sure, CM will have to get themselves a new FFP should they decide to stay in SkyTeam, though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.