FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SkyTeam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam-412/)
-   -   Luggage and flying stdby on reward tkt. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam/820161-luggage-flying-stdby-reward-tkt.html)

cruisr May 4, 2008 12:54 pm

Luggage and flying stdby on reward tkt.

I searched on the CO forum and I think I have the answer but thought I'd pursue it here. I am planning on a 12 hour stopover in AMS on the way to FCO from EWR. I am on a reward tkt. TATL it is in BF and from AMS to FCO it is in coach. I was told if I wanted J from AMS-FCO it would be more miles. For a 2hr flt and basically the same seats, I passed.

Now, here is my question. I want to go into AMS to a couple of museums that I missed last time. If I check my luggage all the way through to FCO I will not be burdened with finding luggage storage and rechecking the luggage later. That is the good news. What if I want to go stdby on an earlier flt to FCO??? Is that allowed on a Sky Team award tkt that is issued by CO? If it is allowed, and I have my luggage checked thru on the later flt would that blow my chances of flying earlier stdby? Would they find my luggage and load it on the earlier flt if I can/do get on? With all of these possibilities is it probably better to just check my luggage thru to AMS, claim it, store it and then hope for the best for stdby?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

sbm12 May 4, 2008 2:18 pm

You will be much more likely to get on the earlier flight standby if your bags are not checked all the way through. And I have no idea if standby is allowed on the reward ticket, but at some point you'll probably be able to talk someone into it.

graraps May 4, 2008 2:47 pm

Standby is not allowed by KL out of AMS, irrespective of class of service or ticket type (exceptions are only made for nonrevs).
By the way, you shouldn't have to spend more miles for a connection in business class. Call and ask a couple more times; you should be able to get it for nowt. Try for an AZ-operated flight as these are 2-2 or 2-3 instead of Europe Neglect.

cruisr May 4, 2008 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by graraps (Post 9675230)
Standby is not allowed by KL out of AMS, irrespective of class of service or ticket type (exceptions are only made for nonrevs).
By the way, you shouldn't have to spend more miles for a connection in business class. Call and ask a couple more times; you should be able to get it for nowt. Try for an AZ-operated flight as these are 2-2 or 2-3 instead of Europe Neglect.

I am actually on the Alitalia flt and would like to stdby for the earlier flt on them. I was told that I could only get coach on the intra Europe even though I am in business on the overwater. I am on a Saver Award so it is 100K RT. Maybe coach was not available intra Europe???

Aviatrix May 4, 2008 3:28 pm

It doesn't matter whether it's KL, AZ or any other carrier - the concept of "standby" just doesn't exist in Europe. If you're on a full-fare fully-flexible ticket you can change your reservation to an earlier flight. If you're on a non-flexible ticket you travel as booked.

cruisr May 4, 2008 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix (Post 9675374)
It doesn't matter whether it's KL, AZ or any other carrier - the concept of "standby" just doesn't exist in Europe. If you're on a full-fare fully-flexible ticket you can change your reservation to an earlier flight. If you're on a non-flexible ticket you travel as booked.

Thank you. Good to know as I will check my luggage through to FCO and enjoy dinner in AMS before heading back to the airport to continue on.

graraps May 4, 2008 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 9675366)
I am actually on the Alitalia flt and would like to stdby for the earlier flt on them. I was told that I could only get coach on the intra Europe even though I am in business on the overwater. I am on a Saver Award so it is 100K RT. Maybe coach was not available intra Europe???

Aviatrix is right on standby.
If there is availability in business class, they should give it to you for no extra charge. If only Y is available, well at least you'll be checking in early and guaranteed an exit row seat!