Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Skyteam partner to Australia/New Zealand

Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I have a bunch of miles on Delta only but there doesn't seem to be any airline in Skyteam that offers service to those destinations from LAX.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use Skymiles to get there?

Rob
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
It is a longer way. But your only option currently is KE through Korea.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
...or CO via Guam (to Cairns).
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by Robmorrow
Hi,

I have a bunch of miles on Delta only but there doesn't seem to be any airline in Skyteam that offers service to those destinations from LAX.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use Skymiles to get there?

Rob
Another possibility is to think outside the box.....or in this case....think outside of Skyteam.

Hawaiian Airlines recently became a partner of Delta....and offers limited service from HNL to SYD.

An LAX-HNL-SYD routing should be possible......via a combo of Delta and Hawaiian flights.

Granted....it will be rather hard to get 'up front' on Hawaiian.....but last I checked, there was coach availability on various dates over the next 9 months.

You can even search for awards that include Hawaiian flights on Delta.com

A.J.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Let's not forget the new partner China Southern.

In essence you can get there on Hawaiian, Korean, Continental, or China Southern. Singapore also flies to Australia/NZ but I don;t think you can get there using DL miles.

Anyway there is a master thread about getting to Australia that this could be merged with.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
<<<<<<<<<< Keeping his fingers crossed that with the NW merger, DL will start flying the 787 to Australia!!!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

Specifically, I was looking at a cruisetour which starts in Auckland and ends in Sydney. Anyway to get to those two city pairs from LAX?

Rob
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
<<<<<<<<<< Keeping his fingers crossed that with the NW merger, DL will start flying the 787 to Australia!!!
Wouldn't that be FABULOUS???
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Do not count on the "Papier-mch" aircraft. Boeing has slipped the schedule again, just as I was telling the Dreamliner (what an appropriate name) cheerleading section here over a year ago. Delta and Northwest have announced a combined loss of over $10B for the most recent quarter. Something tells me that any major new aircraft deliveries, beyond what's already in the pipeline, will most likely be deferred.

By the way, before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm a big fan of Boeing aircraft, and I personally do not care for Airbus aircraft or the Airbus business model.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Specifically, I was looking at a cruisetour which starts in Auckland and ends in Sydney. Anyway to get to those two city pairs from LAX?
Checking the ST website.

LAX-ICN-AKL, LAX-SFO-ICN-AKL, LAX-SEA-ICN-AKL

SYD-ICN-LAX, SYD-ICN-HNL-LAX
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I took KE via ICN a couple of years ago, and although long, was quite tolerable. Watches lots of movies LAX to ICN, then slept ICN to SYD. Over 24 hours door to door, but quite worth it. KE business class was decent, although I like the DL product more. However, I was in their old business seat.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
And absolutely zero award availability!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for alerting me to the Skyteam website. I assumed ST was meaning Skyteam. All the possible routing is there, and indeed I can get there with just one connection on KE. Now just hoping there will be seats available up front. Any experience in redeeming on KE?

Rob
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:17 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Thanks for alerting me to the Skyteam website. I assumed ST was meaning Skyteam. All the possible routing is there, and indeed I can get there with just one connection on KE. Now just hoping there will be seats available up front. Any experience in redeeming on KE?

Rob
I've had excellent luck with KE awards in business. Mrs P and I did TPA-ATL-ORD-ICN-AKL-ICN-SEA-ATL-TPA last year and I am holding PEK-ICN for this coming July (but DL's 777 back home this time). Aircraft and service were quite acceptable; not a SG or MH but quite fine for the price (like $35 or so!). Of course, with the current apparent dearth of award seats.....

Last edited by Pharaoh; Apr 24, 2008 at 6:40 am Reason: schpellin'
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I also recently had good experience booking KE J to SYD with skymiles. Got the dates I wanted with one phonecall. Just watch out for KE's blackout dates.

The trip is long, but I'll fully use my long afternoon layover in ICN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.