FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SkyTeam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam-412/)
-   -   Elusive Kommersant class on Aeroflot (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam/813189-elusive-kommersant-class-aeroflot.html)

asnovici Apr 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Elusive Kommersant class on Aeroflot

I am flying on SU this week, and its in coach :eek:
I have redeemed my NW miles for the intra-European trip, and was able to pre-assign seats on SU.

SU has been advertising their Kommersant class on their Intra-European network as Economy-plus version (think Tempo Challange on AF). Allegedly, its located behind Premier (SU Business) class, and has the same food as premier, same drinks as Premier, same flatware and glassware as premier, one can check in at Premier desk, and the only difference is that the seats are coach), but with the middle seat left unoccupied. It bookes into full Y. The number of seats vary by flights, depending on demand (movable curtain used). So, in my book, its essentially intra-European business class on any other European airline.

There are 5 rows of Premier on A320 aircraft on SU, and 6 rows on 321, all fixed (i.e. these are US-style First Class seats, the number does not fluctuate from flight to flight).

Given the elements above, here is my question: I have 11C on 321, and 6C on 320. I booked the regular coach seats by redeeming 25,000 NW miles. Am I in Kommersant class? How is that possible? While 11C may or may not be in Kommersant (on my previous SU flights in Premier, I saw Kommersant class being about 4 rows, starting at the row right nehind Premier), then 6C certainly does put me in Kommersant. Or do you think thats just a fluke and there is no Kommersant seats sold on the return flight and I am actually in regular coach? It just seems that both of my seats potentially could be in Kommersant class, based on aircraft configurations.

Not that I expect to be in an upgraded class of service, considering I redeemed miles for regular coach (and there is no way to redeem miles for Kommersant specifically), but it would be interesting to see if that is a fluke in SU system (being able to pre-assign seats in Kommersant while purchasing mileage award ticket), or SU really does not sell Kommersant that often, and the seats behind Premier are effectively regular coach.

Flights in question: AMS-SVO outbound, SVO-FRA return

What are your speculations?

KVS Apr 15, 2008 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by asnovici (Post 9577099)
I have 11C on 321, and 6C on 320. I booked the regular coach seats by redeeming 25,000 NW miles. Am I in Kommersant class? How is that possible? While 11C may or may not be in Kommersant (on my previous SU flights in Premier, I saw Kommersant class being about 4 rows, starting at the row right nehind Premier), then 6C certainly does put me in Kommersant. Or do you think thats just a fluke and there is no Kommersant seats sold on the return flight and I am actually in regular coach? It just seems that both of my seats potentially could be in Kommersant class, based on aircraft configurations.

It's perfectly possible that there will be no Kommersant-designated seats on your flights, e.g.:

[KVS Availability Tool 3.1.0/Platinum - Amadeus Seat Map: 18 Apr 2008/SU 105/SVO-FRA/320/C]
Code:

A  C    |  D  F     
 1    -  -        +  -     
 2    +  +        -  +     
 3    +  +        +  +     
 4    +  +        +  +     
 5    +  +        +  +     

[+] Available  [-] Unavailable  [W] Wing  [E] Exit Row

[KVS Availability Tool 3.1.0/Platinum - Amadeus Seat Map: 18 Apr 2008/SU 105/SVO-FRA/320/Y]
Code:

A  B  C    |  D  E  F     
 6    -  -  -        -  -  -     
 7    -  +  +        +  -  -     
 8    +  +  +        +  +  -     
 9    -  -  -        -  -  -     
10    -  -  -        -  -  -     
11    -  +  +        +  +  -     
12    -  -  +        +  +  -     
13    +  +  +        +  +  +     
14    +  +  +        +  +  +     
15    +  +  +        +  +  +     
16    +  +  +        -  +  +     
17    +  +  +        +  +  +     
18    +  +  +        +  +  +     
19    +  +  +        +  +  +     
20    +  +  +        +  +  +     
21    +  +  +        +  +  +     
22    +  +  +        +  +  +     
23    +  +  +        +  +  +     
24    +  +  +        +  +  +     
25    +  +  +        +  +  +     

[+] Available  [-] Unavailable  [W] Wing  [E] Exit Row

asnovici Apr 15, 2008 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by KVS (Post 9577865)
It's perfectly possible that there will be no Kommersant-designated seats on your flights, e.g.:

Completely understand, but then how do they know there won't be any Kommersant passengers far in advance? I got my seat assignments a month ago, what if someone purchased a Y Kommersant fare between the time I got the seats and the time of departure, would they kick me back into regular coach then?

Flights in question, actually are SU230 on the 17th of April, and SU105 on the 21st of April.

KVS Apr 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by asnovici (Post 9578121)
I got my seat assignments a month ago, what if someone purchased a Y Kommersant fare between the time I got the seats and the time of departure, would they kick me back into regular coach then?

Sure -- why not? :)

asnovici Apr 15, 2008 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by KVS (Post 9578183)
Sure -- why not? :)

LOL, true that. :) One can hope for "inefficiency creating opportunities", i.e. hopefully general laziness and disorganization of ground staff will keep me in Kommersant, if it is indeed offered on these flights.

KVS Apr 15, 2008 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by asnovici (Post 9578244)
LOL, true that. :) One can hope for "inefficiency creating opportunities", i.e. hopefully general laziness and disorganization of ground staff will keep me in Kommersant, if it is indeed offered on these flights.

Just because a company is disorganized when it comes to delivering something you had paid for, does not mean that they will be equally disorganized when it comes to ensuring that you do not receive something that you are not entitled to ;) ...

trooper Apr 15, 2008 7:38 pm

Post of the day KVS!!!!! :D

asnovici Apr 15, 2008 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by KVS (Post 9578356)
Just because a company is disorganized when it comes to delivering something you had paid for, does not mean that they will be equally disorganized when it comes to ensuring that you do not receive something that you are not entitled to ;) ...

true. one can hope though. I will report from Moscow.

asnovici Apr 21, 2008 7:58 am

As an update, KVS was correct, no Kommersant class offered on either flight. Thats why its so elusive :)

typhoon May 3, 2008 5:27 am

Aeroflot is one of Europes better airlines these days. The aircraft are spotless, the seating comfortable, and the food is superior to most. Once the new terminal in moscow is complete the ground service will exceed what we can expect from other skyteam carriers.

woody125 May 10, 2008 10:34 am

One more year!?

Originally Posted by typhoon (Post 9670430)
Once the new terminal in moscow is complete...

By the way, the DATE lounge hostess at SVO2 yesterday told me it is going to be one more year before SVO3 is finished. She was obviously not happy about it. I asked her if she knew if there was going to be a ST Lounge there and she just went on a rampage about how long it will be before that question will even be considered. Still a year away.

Meanwhile, DME continues to go, grow, and glow...

asnovici May 10, 2008 11:48 am

Originally Posted by woody125 (Post 9704672)
By the way, the DATE lounge hostess at SVO2 yesterday told me it is going to be one more year before SVO3 is finished. She was obviously not happy about it. I asked her if she knew if there was going to be a ST Lounge there and she just went on a rampage about how long it will be before that question will even be considered. Still a year away.

Meanwhile, DME continues to go, grow, and glow...

That seems to be in line with a press release from SU (I don't have the link, sorry) about a month ago, stating that SVO-3 will be open in Spring 2009. I estimate May 2009 then (Spring in Russian calendar).

I would LOVE a combined ST lounge in SVO-3, with actual agents that can help with changes to tickets, if necessary.