Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Oneway business class flight using CO / NW Miles?

Old Apr 8, 08, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, Hotels.. TBD

I am going ONE WAY from US to India sometime this April End / Early May.

I have around 89k+ CO miles and 20-25k of NW Miles.

I'd like to know whats the best way I could find seats on one of the Skyteam partners from IAH to BOM? If not available I could even take DFW to DEL as 2nd alternatives for source & destination respectively.
Old Apr 8, 08, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Neither CO nor NW offer one-way redemptions. Your best bet is to use www.continental.com and see if there are any dates available for the outbound trip that meet your needs. You can then redeem in coach for the return, saving a few miles. There seem to be quite a few options available, some of which involve using the Delta JFK-BOM flight, which actually isn't that bad since it is supposed to be operated by their new 777-200LR planes with their newest BusinessElite configuration.

Unfortunately for you, the return trip is 105K miles, even with the return that you wouldn't use booked in Y. Unless you have a way of getting the 16K miles you do not have enough.
Old Apr 8, 08, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK AF/KL is only skyteam to offer OW awards

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 8, 08 at 4:49 pm
Old Apr 8, 08, 4:59 pm

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
call the call centre of your ariline

that s the only way

and i m not sure if 79 ooo will fly you to india

you can t merge them either
Old Apr 8, 08, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

I never asked for a RETURN trip. Did I ?? I am looking at ONE WAY. Return plans are currently not on the horizon.

I know I would need 60k For OW and 60k for Return. I only want to go OW. Business.
Old Apr 8, 08, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by xmlsoa View Post
I never asked for a RETURN trip. Did I ?? I am looking at ONE WAY. Return plans are currently not on the horizon.

I know I would need 60k For OW and 60k for Return. I only want to go OW. Business.
Please read my previous post again. CO, the airline on which you have the bulk of your points, does NOT allow one way redemptions. You may want that, but you will not get it.

You should not expect to use miles for this trip unless you plan on flying in coach, and at 89K you're still short the number of miles you need. The details are here, on the Series 10 reward chart from CO. The (slightly) good news is that to buy up to get to the 90K miles you need for the economy flight should only cost you an extra $35 or so. Also, plan on paying some surcharges if you ticket inside 14 days.

There is plenty of availability for what you want to do; you just don't have enough points.
Old Apr 9, 08, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
AFAIK AF/KL is only skyteam to offer OW awards
So I can redeem them on AF or KL for one way Business First? How many miles would that cost me?

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Please read my previous post again. CO, the airline on which you have the bulk of your points, does NOT allow one way redemptions. You may want that, but you will not get it.

You should not expect to use miles for this trip unless you plan on flying in coach, and at 89K you're still short the number of miles you need. The details are here, on the Series 10 reward chart from CO. The (slightly) good news is that to buy up to get to the 90K miles you need for the economy flight should only cost you an extra $35 or so. Also, plan on paying some surcharges if you ticket inside 14 days.

There is plenty of availability for what you want to do; you just don't have enough points.
Is the above true or not for KLM / AF ?

Are you pointing out the 90k for the 2-way COACH?
Old Apr 9, 08, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
One way awards only if you have your miles in FB. Otherwise, no soup for you!

No way to book a OW on NW or CO. You can book a RT, and throw the return away, for the normal amount of miles, of course.
Old Apr 9, 08, 9:46 am

So I can redeem them on AF or KL for one way Business First? How many miles would that cost me?

Is the above true or not for KLM / AF ?

Are you pointing out the 90k for the 2-way COACH?
You could only book the AF/KL one way reward if you have points in the FlyingBlue program. You did not list that in your initial post so I am assuming that you do not have any.

And yes, I was pointing out that the minimum number of OnePass miles needed to get to India from the USA is 90K and that the trip would be in coach; you don't even have enough to do that based on your initial post.
Old Apr 10, 08, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
You could only book the AF/KL one way reward if you have points in the FlyingBlue program. You did not list that in your initial post so I am assuming that you do not have any.

And yes, I was pointing out that the minimum number of OnePass miles needed to get to India from the USA is 90K and that the trip would be in coach; you don't even have enough to do that based on your initial post.
I could transfer some miles to my CO account from Amex to make it 90k. But I dont see the point of wasting the return trip.

I believe for 120k I could to a BF RETURN TRIP (like I did last year) so I presumed that for 60k or so I could do a ONEWAY BF.

PS: Apparently FB is the only one that allows Oneway. I thought I might be able to redeem the 60k on AF / KLM but I guess thats no dice.
Old Apr 10, 08, 6:15 pm

I could transfer some miles to my CO account from Amex to make it 90k. But I dont see the point of wasting the return trip.

I believe for 120k I could to a BF RETURN TRIP (like I did last year) so I presumed that for 60k or so I could do a ONEWAY BF.

PS: Apparently FB is the only one that allows Oneway. I thought I might be able to redeem the 60k on AF / KLM but I guess thats no dice.
You have a year to use the return, assuming that you pay the $$ for the rebooking fee. So if you ever come back to the USA from BOM you could still ues the return eventually; it doesn't have to be thrown away.

As for oneway rewards, FB is not the only option in SkyTeam. Apparently KE also allows one-way rewards with their points, though maybe on ly on their metal (I just learned this tonight). There are a few others, including bmi, that offer oneway rewards in the other alliances.

I also just had a thought after re-reading your post. If you've got MR points you can dump those to FB and redeem there. You'll have to pay fuel surcharges and there may be limits to which metal you can redeem on for the o/w reward, but that would let you do it, assuming you have 60K AmEx MR points available.

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 10, 08 at 9:08 pm Reason: added KE and a suggestion
Old Apr 10, 08, 9:22 pm

Why don't you buy a one way in economy and list for an upgrade? I think you would only need 25,000 miles if you fly on CO. If there is availability for Business on CO with miles the upgrade should also be allowed.
Old Apr 11, 08, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by af fp View Post
If there is availability for Business on CO with miles the upgrade should also be allowed.
This is not necessarily true. Upgrade and full reward seats are not necessarily the same bucket. Plus, a one-way ticket will cost a pretty penny. And the majority of the reward availability I saw was on DL, where it is not possible to redeem CO miles for an upgrade. It is a reasonable approach, but won't always work when partners get involved.
Old May 14, 08, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by af fp View Post
Why don't you buy a one way in economy and list for an upgrade? I think you would only need 25,000 miles if you fly on CO. If there is availability for Business on CO with miles the upgrade should also be allowed.
No one actually suggested this before.