Reload this Page >

Delta welcomes China Eastern to join SkyTeam Alliance

Old Mar 13, 08, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Plat

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/...0News/1197370/

Wooo~If MU joins Skyteam, with potential member CI, ST would be much strong than *A in Asia!

PS. SkyTeam, please do not lower your requirement for MU.
Old Mar 14, 08, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
It would make them dominant in China, but that doesn't do anything for the gaping hole in SE Asia. *A is the strong aliance there and Skyteam is next to non-existant. How many destinations does MU serve that CZ doesn't already?

CI will help in SE Asia a little but someone that has a hub in SE Asia is desperately needed. MH is perfect, but AF doesn't want them. VN or PR would be two other good ones to consider. Both have pretty decent networks there.
Old Mar 14, 08, 9:52 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Not trying to stir the pot, but I am wondering what Asian carriers are in ST. The ones that I can think of are: KE, CZ, CI (official ?), MU (potential ?), BR (?). I am sure I am missing a few.

For comparison purposes. *A has: OZ, NH, CA, FM, SQ, and TG. Not sure how extensive each of the above carrier's coverage is in Asia, but I can't imagine *A can be beaten by ST at this point. I am not even sure if OW can even make that claim.

LAX
Old Mar 14, 08, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by LAX View Post
Not trying to stir the pot, but I am wondering what Asian carriers are in ST. The ones that I can think of are: KE, CZ, CI (official ?), MU (potential ?), BR (?). I am sure I am missing a few.

LAX
CI seems pretty official from the news earlier this year, but don't know when their actual date will be to join. BR wouldn't end up in ST because of CI. As far as route network goes, CI is probably the better of the two but BR may be the better airline otherwise.

Other than those mentioned NW and CO both have their own Asia networks from their hubs in NRT and GUM, though neither are terribly extensive.
Old Mar 14, 08, 10:56 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
CI seems pretty official from the news earlier this year, but don't know when their actual date will be to join. BR wouldn't end up in ST because of CI. As far as route network goes, CI is probably the better of the two but BR may be the better airline otherwise.

Other than those mentioned NW and CO both have their own Asia networks from their hubs in NRT and GUM, though neither are terribly extensive.
Would this affect the relationship that BR currently has with CO? Just wondering.

LAX
Old Mar 15, 08, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by LAX View Post
Would this affect the relationship that BR currently has with CO? Just wondering.

LAX
I would expect the relationship between CO and BR to end shortly after CI officially joins, but nothing has been announced yet. Its possible they could continue, but I can't think of any other examples of the 3 domestic skyteam airlines codesharing on a carrier outside of skyteam when a member airline is in the same country.
Old Mar 15, 08, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
I would expect the relationship between CO and BR to end shortly after CI officially joins, but nothing has been announced yet. Its possible they could continue, but I can't think of any other examples of the 3 domestic skyteam airlines codesharing on a carrier outside of skyteam when a member airline is in the same country.
When does CI will join the alliance anytime soon? I haven't figured out for which specific dates either CI & MU will eventually join the ST alliance. I don't see anything more logical choice with CI & MU. I think its should be offiically releasable from DL sometimes within months.
Old Mar 15, 08, 8:56 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
You mean other than AS? NW codeshares on AS (not skyteam) and yet there are certainly other member airlines in the same country .
Old Mar 16, 08, 8:45 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/MM, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'd definitely like to see MH join ST. Good product, decent connections to USA, decent coverage of SE Asia. Plus, those FAs are just... well... up there with Singapore Boys.

I don't see China Eastern joining SkyTeam, certainly not if either SQ or CX becomes a major investor. More likely, MU goes to oneworld. Air China is already in *. CZ is already in ST. It just makes sense for MU to wind up in oneworld, as the three major mainland carriers would be paired off with each of the three major alliances.
Old Mar 16, 08, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ifette View Post
You mean other than AS? NW codeshares on AS (not skyteam) and yet there are certainly other member airlines in the same country .
DOH! You're right. I actually had international code shares in mind when I said that, but I wasn't clear. There are a lot of non-alliance codeshares in the US that could be pointed out.