Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Does Aeroflot have any business being in Skyteam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

I assume that this has been a topic of discussion before. I was pleased when planning my trip to Russia to learn that Aeroflot joined the alliance. I flew DXB-LED (St. Petersburg) with a stopover in Moscow-SVO over the weekend. Granted, no one would laud the great service on Delta, Northwest, or Korean Air, but Aeroflot seemed to lack the basic amenities of a world-class international airline. A few examples:

-- Equipment: Does any other SkyTeam member fly the equivalent of the old Tupolevs? I took a Tu-154 from SVO to LED, and, while I was thrilled to get the experience, anyone who flies knows the safety record of these planes (as well as Aeroflot and the Russian system as a whole, for that matter) and the lack of any passenger amenities on board. The seats were flimsy -- mine would not stay in the upright position -- and there were no overhead bins (just a shelf like on a bus, with about a foot of space).

-- Service: The flight attendants made Northwest crew seem cheery. My suitcase wouldn't fit under the seat or in the small space overhead, so I asked the flight attendant what I should do and whether I could check it, and she literally shrugged her shoulders silently. (I ended up placing it on the floor next to me, which would never be allowable in the U.S. and which I could do only because that seat was vacant.) The check-in agent was equally unfriendly -- also, symptomatic, I suppose, of the typical Russian culture of no customer service whatsoever. At SVO, the domestic and international terminals are really two separate airports a 15-minute drive apart. Even though I was booked on a through DXB-SVO-LED itinerary, they apparently have no mechanism to transfer passengers. An Aeroflot agent on the phone thought I was crazy when I asked whether the airline would transfer me or if I had to do it myself. There is supposedly a bus between terminals, but I ended up taking a taxi and, with the cumbersome immigration process at SVO, barely making my flight with a 2:15 connection. (Although one plus is that there are slot machines and three vodka bars in the domestic terminal waiting room.) We waited idlely on the tarmac before each take-off and after each landing, including for nearly an hour on my flight from SVO-DXB, without explanation. (I know, of course this happens regularly on U.S. flights.) Also, there were no e-tickets available for my itinerary (which I booked on Expedia). I don't know whether this is the case system-wide.

-- Benefits to elite passengers: I saw no mention of special check-in lines, pre-boarding, etc. for elite flyers, either Aeroflot's program or SkyTeam, or any other benefits. At no point in my journey did they acknowlege my status or seem to acknowledge anyone's status with signs, etc. I never saw the SkyTeam logo or signage, either, even though I flew in and out of the hub airport. I read on FlyerTalk that Aeroflot announced that it was giving lounge access to SkyTeam Elite travelers, but they never offered me that (I wish that I would have known to ask).

I am not saying that I had a horrible experience. Just that it seems like this airline lacks the basic services that I assumed it would have as a member of SkyTeam. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Wink

Well I do not see anything really wrong with your experience...just a little different than what you are used to....different airline different way of handling things....that is what makes traveling interesting...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by mecabq
I took a Tu-154 from SVO to LED ... anyone who flies knows the safety record of these planes (as well as Aeroflot and the Russian system as a whole, for that matter)
Well, I don't - and I've had my fair share of Tupolevs. How does it stand against that of a comparable aircraft make - say, Boeing 727 - if you adjust it to their respective production lines?
As for SU, it hasn't had a crash since 1994 (and then on an Airbus) - which is, well, better than what can be said about AA, for instance.

Even though I was booked on a through DXB-SVO-LED itinerary, they apparently have no mechanism to transfer passengers. An Aeroflot agent on the phone thought I was crazy when I asked whether the airline would transfer me or if I had to do it myself. There is supposedly a bus between terminals, but I ended up taking a taxi and, with the cumbersome immigration process at SVO, barely making my flight with a 2:15 connection.
I've never had to transit between the two but there's a smallish transfer desk and SU passengers do get to be bussed from one to the other (airside?).

Also, there were no e-tickets available for my itinerary (which I booked on Expedia). I don't know whether this is the case system-wide.
It is. It is illegal for a Russian airline to sell etickets. SU is currently lobbying the gov't to change the regulations. Do a search on the Russia board - this has been discussed ad nauseam.

I never saw the SkyTeam logo or signage, either, even though I flew in and out of the hub airport.
Aeroflot's logo - which now includes that of Skyteam - is plastered all over SVO. OTOH, I never saw SU logo on Skyteam lounges in ATL and JFK (May 2006) or in DL's onboard magazine.

Give them time, they have made a lot of progress recently.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Well I do not see anything really wrong with your experience...just a little different than what you are used to....different airline different way of handling things....that is what makes traveling interesting...
I entirely agree. And as far as the Tupelov is concerned, I love flying unusual (at least for my parts of the world) equipment. I recently did JFK-SVO and SVO-LAX legs on Aeroflot and it was basically fine. The video system didn't work on either flight, which was slightly annoying, but I lounge access and was treated decently. It was just slightly different. In another post I said that the much-maligned SVO actually reminds me of BOG - in need of an upgrade; but that's just the way things go.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I agree that it was a great experience, and flying out of different airports on different airlines on different types of equipment is one of my favorite aspects of traveling, too. I am just pointing out that Aeroflot's infrastructure doesn't appear to be up to even the mediocre standards of other world-class airlines.

I actually found SVO's international terminal better than I expected (granted, my expectations were low), at least air-side. One frustration is that there is no currency exchange, however, so one is forced to spend the rest of one's rubles on food, vodka, and duty-free. . .
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
I agree that it was a great experience, and flying out of different airports on different airlines on different types of equipment is one of my favorite aspects of traveling, too. I am just pointing out that Aeroflot's infrastructure doesn't appear to be up to even the mediocre standards of other world-class airlines.

I actually found SVO's international terminal better than I expected (granted, my expectations were low), at least air-side. One frustration is that there is no currency exchange, however, so one is forced to spend the rest of one's rubles on food, vodka, and duty-free. . .
There is currency exchange landside in the terminal
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: PC
Equipment: Does any other SkyTeam member fly the equivalent of the old Tupolevs? I took a Tu-154 from SVO to LED, and, while I was thrilled to get the experience, anyone who flies knows the safety record of these planes (as well as Aeroflot and the Russian system as a whole, for that matter) and the lack of any passenger amenities on board. The seats were flimsy -- mine would not stay in the upright position -- and there were no overhead bins (just a shelf like on a bus, with about a foot of space).
I think you must have been on a Tupolev 134 for the SVO-LED part...the 154 definitely has actual overhead bins. Personally, I think the train is the much better option for that particular segment if not connecting from other flights, 4-5 hours from city center to city center or an overnight sleeper is pretty decent

It really puzzles me as to why Aeroflot uses those "interesting" Tu-134s for the LED flights...do they not have enough passengers? Is the distance too short to really justify at least a Tu-154? I mean, seriously, not that I see it as a safety problem, but it would feel weird to travel in the 21st century with a navigator in the plane's nose! MALEV have the Tu-134 and 154 in their museum, Aeroflot have theirs still very much in the sky.

The noise pollution, too...I don't know how they ever managed to get EU certification for the 154s, in BUD one of them made more noise on the tarmac than a whole bunch of nearby Boeing/Airbus planes.

On the other hand, smoked salmon for breakfast when arriving in BKK...mmm, not something I've ever before experienced in Y
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:45 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by lecter
It really puzzles me as to why Aeroflot uses those "interesting" Tu-134s for the LED flights...do they not have enough passengers? Is the distance too short to really justify at least a Tu-154?
SU's been expanding so fast recently they don't have enough planes to fly everywhere they want to. They placed an order for 30 (I think) Sukhoy Super Jets - a plane that doesn't exist yet - but so far they have to do with the Airbus 319/320/321 family, Tupolev 154s and 134s on short haul. Now, the most important mid-haul routes get the Airbus metal. The rest either get the 154M's - a modification of the 154 that meets the EU regulations - or the unmodified 154s, and short haul ones get the 134's.

I mean, seriously, not that I see it as a safety problem, but it would feel weird to travel in the 21st century with a navigator in the plane's nose!
It's a design quirk that goes back to when Tupolev had to develop a civil airliners line. The whole Tu family is actually derived from the Tupolev 16 strategic bomber designed in 1950 when it was sort of de rigeur to have a navigator in a silly glass dome in the nose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-16

Most of these planes will be gone in a couple of years time so fly them while you can.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And what airline would you prefer on SVO-LED?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by hfly
I usually take the train but on a few occasions I've actually flown the route it was always SU.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:47 am

Programs: LH
Pulkovo

Originally Posted by hfly
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:30 am

Programs: PC
Originally Posted by apoivre
SU's been expanding so fast recently they don't have enough planes to fly everywhere they want to. They placed an order for 30 (I think) Sukhoy Super Jets - a plane that doesn't exist yet - but so far they have to do with the Airbus 319/320/321 family, Tupolev 154s and 134s on short haul
I wonder, is there some good reason Aeroflot doesn't order the Tu-214? They don't seem to be popular, but they are cheap and would replace the 154 quite nicely, I think...
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:26 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
I wonder, is there some good reason Aeroflot doesn't order the Tu-214? They don't seem to be popular, but they are cheap and would replace the 154 quite nicely, I think...
They are no cheaper than A321 or B739 (after 38% importation tax), despite popular belief. Operating costs are higher as well, and reliability is questionable. I believe only Rossiya has a decent size fleet (not 1 or 2), and TNK uses them for cargo. Russian airlines would much rather get Airbus and Boeing, if the taxes would be lowered.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
I assume that this has been a topic of discussion before. I was pleased when planning my trip to Russia to learn that Aeroflot joined the alliance. I flew DXB-LED (St. Petersburg) with a stopover in Moscow-SVO over the weekend. Granted, no one would laud the great service on Delta, Northwest, or Korean Air, but Aeroflot seemed to lack the basic amenities of a world-class international airline. A few examples:

-- Equipment: Does any other SkyTeam member fly the equivalent of the old Tupolevs? I took a Tu-154 from SVO to LED, and, while I was thrilled to get the experience, anyone who flies knows the safety record of these planes (as well as Aeroflot and the Russian system as a whole, for that matter) and the lack of any passenger amenities on board. The seats were flimsy -- mine would not stay in the upright position -- and there were no overhead bins (just a shelf like on a bus, with about a foot of space).

-- Service: The flight attendants made Northwest crew seem cheery. My suitcase wouldn't fit under the seat or in the small space overhead, so I asked the flight attendant what I should do and whether I could check it, and she literally shrugged her shoulders silently. (I ended up placing it on the floor next to me, which would never be allowable in the U.S. and which I could do only because that seat was vacant.) The check-in agent was equally unfriendly -- also, symptomatic, I suppose, of the typical Russian culture of no customer service whatsoever. At SVO, the domestic and international terminals are really two separate airports a 15-minute drive apart. Even though I was booked on a through DXB-SVO-LED itinerary, they apparently have no mechanism to transfer passengers. An Aeroflot agent on the phone thought I was crazy when I asked whether the airline would transfer me or if I had to do it myself. There is supposedly a bus between terminals, but I ended up taking a taxi and, with the cumbersome immigration process at SVO, barely making my flight with a 2:15 connection. (Although one plus is that there are slot machines and three vodka bars in the domestic terminal waiting room.) We waited idlely on the tarmac before each take-off and after each landing, including for nearly an hour on my flight from SVO-DXB, without explanation. (I know, of course this happens regularly on U.S. flights.) Also, there were no e-tickets available for my itinerary (which I booked on Expedia). I don't know whether this is the case system-wide.

-- Benefits to elite passengers: I saw no mention of special check-in lines, pre-boarding, etc. for elite flyers, either Aeroflot's program or SkyTeam, or any other benefits. At no point in my journey did they acknowlege my status or seem to acknowledge anyone's status with signs, etc. I never saw the SkyTeam logo or signage, either, even though I flew in and out of the hub airport. I read on FlyerTalk that Aeroflot announced that it was giving lounge access to SkyTeam Elite travelers, but they never offered me that (I wish that I would have known to ask).

I am not saying that I had a horrible experience. Just that it seems like this airline lacks the basic services that I assumed it would have as a member of SkyTeam. Any thoughts?
As for the Tu-154's, they have a better business class than all other European carriers! Huge Leather seats, none of that middle seat left open crap (economy in disguise)!
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: SkyMiles, AeroflotBonus, Miles&More
There is the newest Sheremetyevo-3 (Terminal C) airport. As far as I know Aeroflot is going to transfer all the SkyTeam flights there. Till then I would recommend you to fly to DME rather than to SVO2.

Regarding TUs. At the present time Aeroflot uses three airplane model on its haul SVO-LED: TU154, Airbus A321, Airbus A319. When selecting flight using their web-site you can see airplane model for every flight, so you can choose appropriate one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.