FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SkyTeam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam-412/)
-   -   Skyteam RTW Award Ticket - Do you think cost will increase? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam/794296-skyteam-rtw-award-ticket-do-you-think-cost-will-increase.html)

globaltrotter Feb 24, 2008 4:41 pm

Skyteam RTW Award Ticket - Do you think cost will increase?

I did a Skyteam RTW through Delta last year on Business class. It took 220,000 points and I flew on pretty much all of the Skyteam carriers. I considered it a great deal, esp since I had 18 flights (and only 256.00 worth of taxes!). I was wondering in your opinion, if you think the amount of the miles needed for a award ticket will increase soon, or fuel surcharges will be tacked on the fares? The amount of miles needed for a economy ticket is 140,000 and 280,000 for the first class (even though you cant get a "TRUE" first class seat, so its a stupid deal).

sbm12 Feb 24, 2008 5:04 pm

I don't see the points price going up in the next 6 months, but I have nothing to base that on other than a gut feeling. The fuel surcharge thing depends on the issuing carrier. To date US-based tickets cannot be sold with a fuel surcharge so they haven't been levied. I do not see that changing in the near future as it was brought on due to intervention by Congress, IIRC. Delta has started adding a YQ fuel charge on some itineraries originating in Europe, and there is concern that they will make it back across the pond, but I don't see that happening.

The "F" reward is required if using CO points and redeeming for CO BF service. For all other combinations of J service you can use the J reward.

graraps Feb 25, 2008 3:47 am

Originally Posted by globaltrotter (Post 9307188)
you cant get a "TRUE" first class seat, so its a stupid deal

What's that about? Of course you can get a true first class seat, as long as you choose AF or KE for your intercontinental segments.

sbm12 Feb 25, 2008 5:47 am

Originally Posted by graraps (Post 9309250)
What's that about? Of course you can get a true first class seat, as long as you choose AF or KE for your intercontinental segments.

Not if you are redeeming from most of the programs. CO, NW and DL definitely don't allow redemption for AF/KE F seats. I don't think that many of the other programs allow it either. It has been this way for some time now. Also, if you're on a J award and flying on some KE flights to leisure markets you end up in Y, not Y+, on their planes that are F/Y+/Y. There are some quirks about the redemptions across carriers.

mikeyg619 Mar 1, 2008 7:42 pm

Paid Skyteam RTW

Hi All

I have been reading the forums and I have been getting alot of info. I am hoping that one of you experienced FTers could help me with my RTW itinerary. My wife and I are currently working in Singapore. Our contracts are up this coming June. We would like to do a Paid RTW on our way home to Canada. We are going to stretch this RTW out over 12 months (Travel from July 12/08 - Aug. 05/08 then go back to work at home in Canada Travel for 1 week around Christmas then back to work then travel again for 1 week in March then back to work then travel summer of 2009). The following is what we would like to do.

Singapore - Beijing - Tokyo - Toronto - (work until Christmas) Miami - Toronto - (back to work until March) Las Vegas - Detroit - (back to work til Summer 2009) London UK - Dubai - Singapore

I would appreciate any help with this itineray (if it is possible? best way of doing it? how many miles you think it will require? how is the easiest way to book it?)

P.S. We would like to do this with Skyteam because we have Silver Elite status and would like to earn as many miles as we can. Thanks and i look forward to your reply

graraps Mar 2, 2008 5:58 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 9309563)
Not if you are redeeming from most of the programs. CO, NW and DL definitely don't allow redemption for AF/KE F seats. I don't think that many of the other programs allow it either. It has been this way for some time now. Also, if you're on a J award and flying on some KE flights to leisure markets you end up in Y, not Y+, on their planes that are F/Y+/Y. There are some quirks about the redemptions across carriers.

Ah, yes, that's correct. It just didn't cross my mind that a carrier may be so audacious as to charge F miles while selling the exact same J seats!