Wiki Posts
Search

Best Skyteam Member for YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Best Skyteam Member for YYZ

Hi all,

I think this question has been asked in various forms over the years but I was unable to search for an answer that fit my situation.

I'm based in YYZ/YXU and so my primary FF program is AP, which covers me for *A. I'm now trying to diversify my FF portfolio by opening an account with a SkyTeam member. I don't do much travel for business (once or twice a year, and never overseas) and fly for leisure (domestically and internationally) several times throughout the year, either in PE or discounted J. I don't anticipate being able to gain status with any one airline (and if I did, it would likely be bottom-level status). My goal from FF programs is upgrades and the odd free flight (lounge access would be nice, but that seems to go hand-in-hand with status). Now my SkyTeam situation:

I have an FB account because I'm flying to CDG in a week, and wanted to cash in on the 3,000 mile bonus for a first flight within 90 days of account opening. Alas, I booked with ACV to get a better deal on the hotel. After reading comments on these boards, I've decided FB is not a good program for me, as free flights have hefty surcharges that American carriers don't collect. Also, as I fly occasionally (and even less frequently to France), I'm not able to guarantee an annual flight on AF/KLM to keep my account active.

This leads me to the NW/DL/CO dilemma. All three have iDine programs, great. Although I am an e-rewards member, since I'm Canadian, my only mile/point redemption options are FB and Hhonors. I've read that CO credits miles for flights flown with partner carriers at a less generous rate than NW and DL, so I'm hesitant to go with CO. Between NW and DL, I'm leaning towards NW because DTW is a hub, and only a short train ride/flight/Robert Q Airbus ride away. I have no significant balance in any of the programs currently, and no EQMs either.

Basically, this lost post boils down to one question: Is NW my best bet as a SkyTeam partner, or is there something obvious that I'm overlooking?

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I would collect with NW in your situation.

You have flights out of YYZ/YKF/YXU/DTW to choose from with NW, and keep in mind, KL V fares (often cheapest to Europe out of YYZ) do not earn any miles on CO.

Also since you say you may be able to reach bottom level status with an airline, it is much easier to upgrade domestically (or to Canada) as a NW silver than it is as a CO Silver (it takes a miracle on CO).

I think you will find NW's program much better and more generous than Aeroplan, especially when it comes to redemption.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:00 am

Considered Alaska's program? Partners also with AA, BA, CX, and QF, as well as the six most relevant carriers you'd get from CO/NW/DL's programs (ie CO/NW/DL/AS/AF/KL). If you're not going to make an elite status and aren't going to fly niche Skyteam carriers (like SU or OK) or particular partners of CO/NW/DL (eg CO partners with BR, DL with SQ, and NW with MH), then AS is by far the best catch-all program.

Do read the small print at http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...rs_Airline.asp, though.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yellow77
Considered Alaska's program? Partners also with AA, BA, CX, and QF, as well as the six most relevant carriers you'd get from CO/NW/DL's programs (ie CO/NW/DL/AS/AF/KL). If you're not going to make an elite status and aren't going to fly niche Skyteam carriers (like SU or OK) or particular partners of CO/NW/DL (eg CO partners with BR, DL with SQ, and NW with MH), then AS is by far the best catch-all program.

Do read the small print at http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...rs_Airline.asp, though.
Thanks for this excellent tip!! I never thought about AS, but it might be an excellent alternative.

I'm E with AP/AC, but for various reasons, want to build status with another airline. However, I do own my company and try to travel on lowest eligible fares for status build-up. With AS, I could easily fly any of the partners and build status with AS...

More food for thoughts!!
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Super Larry
I'm E with AP/AC, but for various reasons, want to build status with another airline. However, I do own my company and try to travel on lowest eligible fares for status build-up. With AS, I could easily fly any of the partners and build status with AS...
A good suggestion but bear in mind elite status with AS doesn't really get you too much on partner airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.