Wiki Posts
Search

Round the world mileage run

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum (10 years)
Round the world mileage run

Having easily qualified for platinum in each of the preceding 8 years mostly travelling in economy I found myself in the unfamiliar position of being 20k miles short of the required 70k miles in late November. Desperate times and so desperate measures, after much deliberation and considering the options I chose a ST economy RTW ticket to get the necessary miles and allow a new year holiday in Mexico.

27th December
SOU to CDG AF586 Seat 9F FB Miles 750 RTW Miles 219
First time from SOU, a tiny regional airport, no business class lounge access and a delay of 40 min but comfortable and much easier for me than to get to than LHR.

CDG to SIN AF0256 Seat 6G FB Miles 6663 RTW Miles 6670
First time from the E concourse and very impressed with the facilities even if they were deserted, not sure how it all works when busy. Took a stroll from one end to the other and noted my gate for the later departure and suddenly realised that apart from the bus from the plane to the terminal building I had not had to endure the normal CDG bus pantomime and repeated security checks, I had walked to the terminal, what freedom. I headed for the new lounge and presented boarding pass and FB Card to lounge agent. Sometimes you know. It’s just something about a slight smile on the agents face but before she made eye contact and spoke those often longed for words, I was sure tonight was going to be a good one. While the exact seat was being determined I explored the new facilities but was disappointed to be told that there were no internet facilities yet, “available soon”. Overall they have done a nice job much better than the sterile and cold new lounge in NRT. My name was called and I returned to the counter to receive my new business class seat assignment 6G.
Boarding was a shambles visas for Oz had to be checked and it appeared most of my fellow passengers were on route to the south, the gate agents removed the priority lane for Business and elites so two orderly lines were formed but repeated computer problems meant progress was slow.
AF-KLM please look at CO and NW they do an excellent job of priority boarding. Why oh why is it so difficult for AF-KLM, it costs nothing and is a real benefit for premium / elite passengers.

The flight was 95 min late departing due to 14 late connecting economy passengers, not a problem for me but for those going to various destinations in the antipodes it meant missed connections and missing the dubious pleasures of QF and having the almost certainly better experience of SQ. What this must have cost AF, I can only speculate, but I wish they would welcome MH into ST and connect through KUL.

The flight itself was of course comfortable and I slept like a babe. Food was as usual poor but the wine was excellent. Why can’t AF just do simple food well and hot? Arrival in SIN, first leg complete and everything going very well.

29th December 2007
SIN to NRT NW006 Seat 14G FB Miles 3325 RTW miles 3330
A330 was only half full so the seat next to me was open and I had lots of leg room. However, the centre seats had almost none due to the AVOD system. I would be really upset to get this seat on a full flight. Food and service fine nothing else to report.

NRT to DTW NW026 Seat 78J FB Miles 6397 RTW miles 6380
Ok so lightening doesn’t strike twice but as I walked up the excellent priority boarding lane in NRT I was 95% certain I had been upgraded again. I had checked my reservation in the lounge on NW’s impressive website and had seen my seat assignment had been changed to 78J, which is usually upstairs on the 747. Great an opportunity to compare the business class products of AF and NW.
Seats – well I would probably just go for the NW one but not much in it neither are special you slip down them both. AF = 6 NW = 6
AVOD – again NW by a short nose, screen not so big but much clearer picture and sound overall many more choices of movies and music. AF = 6 NW = 7
Food – Now we get to a big difference. The main dish which I chose on my AF flight was lamb with a very small number of vegetables, the meat was tough, greasy and almost inedible and in the tradition of AF cold, they always serve from the back of the very large 777-300 cabin first. For NW it was chicken and pasta, simple tasty, hot and a reasonable portion size. Ok the wine selection was not so good on NW. AF = 5 NW = 9
Cabin - Not fair as in my opinion the upper deck of the 747 will always beat the rear cabin of the 777-300. AF = 7 NW = 9
Service – Having suffered the service NW are famous for in coach on many occasions, I was really so impressed with the service team on the upper deck, chatty, nothing too much trouble and always with a smile, just great. AF was good but certainly not personal, you would think that they should remember which language to address you in by the end of the flight? AF = 7 NW = 9

So a resounding victory for NW which really surprised me. Please do not think I am ungrateful for being upgraded on AF but from this experience and others where I have paid for the pleasure there is definitely room for improvement. It’s probably good the comparison was not with SQ or BA.

DTW to SLC DL1060 Seat 25B FB Miles 1481 RTW miles 1479
Truly awful an old MD8? Completely full a 4 hour flight with only a drinks service, fortunately I had taken my own food on the flight, so noisy.

30th December 2007
SLC to IAH CO0543 Seat 14F FB Miles 1195 RTW miles 1196
True CO efficiency, corn flakes and a banana plus a good exit row seat.

IAH to MEX CO1424 Seat 14D FB Miles 765 RTW miles 765
More of the same sandwich, chips and baby carrots; loved the carrots. Got that exit row seat again. Somewhere as we approached MEX I achieved the required miles to qualify again so job done.

2nd January 2008
MEX to MID AM0647 Seat 12B FB Miles 750 RTW miles 619
Flight delayed for two hours no explanation given except for late arrival of the aircraft. But an experience was to be had my maiden flight in an Embraer 190. Outside its like a small 737 with winglets and inside Clase Ejecutiva has 11 seats (1-2) and Economy has 89 in 2-2. Cream leather seats and loads of leg room for standard coach and miles more in my exit row seat. Quiet, very quiet and incredibly stable, a really impressive flight and I almost forgot the delay, no communication from the captain at all, a bit disappointing. The only thing I noticed was that there was no IFE system at all not even music. AM say the plane is capable of Monterrey to Bogota or Vancouver which both must be in the order of 4-5 hours, with it being so quiet you probably will just sleep.

From inflight magazine AM have 2 190’s with 2 more on order for delivery by February ’08. They are operated as Aeromexico connect but the difference from normal AM was difficult to see.

11th January 2008
MID to MEX AM0536 Seat 5B FB Miles 750 RTW Miles 619
Experienced the Embraer again but at the front of Ecomomy 5B. Standard service for domestic AM flight, small pastry and choice of non alcoholic beverage (flight before 10:00). Still impressed with 190 as the flight is very stable and incredibly quiet no need for your Bose noise reduction.

MEX to IAH CO1725 Seat 14A FB Miles 765 RTW miles 765
Luggage checked through to LGW comfortable stroll from the extreme domestic end of terminal 1 the far reaches of gate 36 for international departures.
Flight full but secured my favourite exit row seat 14A seat on 737-400
Nothing to report standard CO efficiency and arrived on time.

IAH to LGW CO0034 Seat 20F FB Miles 4848 RTW Miles 4848
What a good job I did not have to recheck my luggage in IAH or I would have lost my flight to LGW main door was closed by the time I sat in my seat. CO are efficient and treat their own and other members elites well (never had an OP UP on CO though). Flight went by the book nothing to report other than being 30 min early.

So I am now at the end of my trip and I have learned a lot about ST and have resolved the issue of getting only 25% of the miles, V class, for the NW flights. Generally I enjoyed the trip got necessary miles and had a great holiday.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Platinum)
Interesting trip. What was the final tally in points earned and price of the tickets?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
RTW in Economy must be a bargain, if you are lucky enough to get the two longest sectors upgraded to Business Class. Well done! A pity, you couldn't have completed the trilogy of long hauls by getting a IAH-LGW upgrade on the return. Then you could have compared CO's product too.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum (10 years)
The cost of the RTW ticket was £1575.35 including all taxes and fees. The total number of level miles was 27,689 and 26,890 RTW miles (actual miles to calculate cost of ticket).

With regard to the possible upgrade on CO well I am not that greedy but it would have been nice. I have 0% rate of operational upgrades on CO despite many transatlantic flights with them..one day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.