Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Donīt fly with AIR EUROPA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Smile Donīt fly with AIR EUROPA

i was in the check-in in Las Palmas to fly to Madrid and i had my valid passport and my valid electronic receipt. The operator told me to show the credit card i payed my flight with and i didnīt have it because i used another credit card for this trip. For the same flight from Madrid to Gran Canaria nobody asked to show this credit card.
So the operator in Las Palmas told me the i couldnīt fly unless i would i have to pay my ticket again and they refund it on my credit card i used. Itīs very stupid because even if i could read it on the conditions in Spanish, i donßt know spanish and no Low cost companies have asked for my credit card....
So i donīt know what they are interested in way i payed this flight, if i have a valid passport and valid receipt itīs enough.
So i hope to receive my money back from this bad company, donīt fly with AIR EUROPA please if you donīt want to have problems...
Thanks
Berny73
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by berny73
i was in the check-in in Las Palmas to fly to Madrid and i had my valid passport and my valid electronic receipt. The operator told me to show the credit card i payed my flight with and i didnīt have it because i used another credit card for this trip. For the same flight from Madrid to Gran Canaria nobody asked to show this credit card.
So the operator in Las Palmas told me the i couldnīt fly unless i would i have to pay my ticket again and they refund it on my credit card i used. Itīs very stupid because even if i could read it on the conditions in Spanish, i donßt know spanish and no Low cost companies have asked for my credit card....
So i donīt know what they are interested in way i payed this flight, if i have a valid passport and valid receipt itīs enough.
So i hope to receive my money back from this bad company, donīt fly with AIR EUROPA please if you donīt want to have problems...
Thanks
Berny73
If example a friend or some parents pay the flight for you i have to travel with this credit card or send a fax to these personal dater? Itīs very very stupid.....
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, berny73.
The few times I have flown them, I have had no problems with Air Europa. I also don't recall being asked to show the credit card. It may be an old term that everyone's forgotten about and is only used at some outstation, though I reckon LSP has a lot of traffic for things to just be forgotten.
You should have left the queue and just tried to find an internet access point to do online check in.
Don't judge an airline (negatively or positively) by a single experience. Personally, apart from the buy-on-board concept in economy which I most definitely don't like, I have no hesitation in recommending Air Europa. Irrespective of carrier or situation, it always helps being able to speak the local language. Imagine going to MAN and trying to communicate in Spanish or French (even when flying AF!). You're unlikely to get very far.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist

When buying a ticket from Air Europa, right next to the field where you enter your credit card number, there is a link that explains clear as day that you either need to present the credit card or fax a signature and copy of the cardholder's ID before you're allowed to board. It's not hidden, it's not a secret. It is also exactly the same procedure followed by the other Spanish carriers, Spanair and Iberia. A quote from the just-as-clear Iberia web site:

For the correct verification of the identity of the credit card holder, you must show the card on the day of departure at check-in.
Right there, in English. No room for confusion. I'll bet the time it took to read that was less than it took to post a rant after you didn't follow the rules.

This is, in fact, not "very, very stupid". Rather, it is a smart measure taken to combat the enormous amount of fraud that was taking place with people buying tickets using stolen credit card information and then flying off to Africa and South America never to return.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanw
This is, in fact, not "very, very stupid". Rather, it is a smart measure taken to combat the enormous amount of fraud that was taking place with people buying tickets using stolen credit card information and then flying off to Africa and South America never to return.
Then they are very, very stupid that they didn't enforce it when I was flying.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:23 am

Note, if you read the sites, this applies to tickets purchased in Spain.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 5:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
This is becoming more common with a lot of carriers. It doens't seem to happen very often here, but occasionally certain airlines want to see the credit card at check in... its a good habit to always carry the card you used for your ticket even if you have no plans to use it otherwise on your trip.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:20 am

and what to do in case

you bought your ticket by Virtual Credit/Debit Card {it is only slip of paper - virtual payment card is designed for payments for good and services purchased via the Internet only at merchants with web.
Virtual payment card is not a plastic payment card, but a virtual card that you will receive in a secure envelope including:
* 16-digit virtual card number,
* card’s expiry date,
* 3-digit control number CVV2.
no signature
With the virtual card you can make online purchases up to a monthly limit of your payment card. You can use the virtual payment card to shop at the Internet safer as this card may only be used for “e-commerce“ transactions with required authorization.
example here

the most common card for students in Central/East Europe because they are allowing higher withdraw/payment limits then normal CC/DCs.

Are they accepting this slip of paper ?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:31 am

It seems to me they don't. They aren't a real credit card and thus are not accepted. The conditions are on the web site for anyone to read.

Presumably those students who jump through the hoops of finding a "virtual" credit card can either use another travel agent or pay in cash if they must buy a ticket in Spain.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by berny73
So the operator in Las Palmas told me the i couldnīt fly unless i would i have to pay my ticket again and they refund it on my credit card i used. Itīs very stupid because even if i could read it on the conditions in Spanish, i donßt know spanish and no Low cost companies have asked for my credit card.
I can see why you might be frustrated, but it seems they gave you a good solution to your problem--pay with a card you have in hand and then get a refund on the card used before.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

DL, too

Delta does this sometimes with tickets purchased close to the time of departure. I think the cutoff is 24 hours, but I'm not positive. I get it every now and then when I buy my tickets online for the Shuttle LGA-DCA/BOS.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:41 am

BA asked for credit card as well when I checked in at OSL recently, so must be becoming more common indeed.

On another note I once had my credit card abused by someone who had charged a flight from AMS, can't remember the airline. Anyhow, I called the airline in question and asked who had travelled on the ticket charged to my card. It was a gentleman called Mohammed something and he had already travelled. I have no clue as to how he got hold of my CC details, the card was still in my possession so it may have been swiped an extra time in a restaurant or taxi somewhere. I called the bank, they cancelled the card, sent me a new card and reimbursed me. One can imagine how this type of fraud is increasing, this incident was 3 years ago.

I really don't mind them asking to see my credit card.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by view
BA asked for credit card as well when I checked in at OSL recently, so must be becoming more common indeed.

On another note I once had my credit card abused by someone who had charged a flight from AMS, can't remember the airline. Anyhow, I called the airline in question and asked who had travelled on the ticket charged to my card. It was a gentleman called Mohammed something and he had already travelled. I have no clue as to how he got hold of my CC details, the card was still in my possession so it may have been swiped an extra time in a restaurant or taxi somewhere. I called the bank, they cancelled the card, sent me a new card and reimbursed me. One can imagine how this type of fraud is increasing, this incident was 3 years ago.

I really don't mind them asking to see my credit card.

I was asked the same thing by BA in LHR a few months ago, didn't have the card with the same number, but it was solved by a supervisor who double checked my passport and copied my AA Exec Plat card (Oneworld top level). The card had been renewed in the interval, with different ending numbers.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:49 am
Suspended

I too had this with BA at LGW 2 months ago and I am asked by many airlines ALL of who make it very clear you need to bring the card you payed for the flight with as ID, the OP should learn to read the instructions that are as clear as day on the site and also on the ticket he will have printed out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.