Search

SkyTeam Will Seek New Members in India, China, South America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Even as a SkyMiles partner?
Originally Posted by apoivre
No, they didn't. They never were in this or any other alliance.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apoivre
No, they didn't. They never were in this or any other alliance.
I wonder why? MH has long rumored to be the next to join Skyteam, but never did.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by TerryK
I wonder why? MH has long rumored to be the next to join Skyteam, but never did.
I don't know how close they've ever come to joining, but I suspect the constant rumors are because they are the last remaining major carrier in that part of the world that isn't in an alliance.

OW has CX and QA and *A has TG, SG, and NZ. Skyteam really lacks in that area badly so MH just makes sense. They've already been partners with various Skyteam airlines from time to time as well.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Even as a SkyMiles partner?
Skymiles is a DL programme. Whatever bilaterals DL may have with MH are irrelevant in an alliance context.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by TerryK
Rumor has it the AF blackballed the MH application to join Skyteam.

Exactly why was a matter of conjecture.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
MH has been desperately trying to get into decent financial shape over the year or so with a long term plan to greatly decrease long range service.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by hserus
They are a natural for oneworld ... plus their hub in BRU
+ the recent AA codeshare agreement (which is still at the DOT for approval).
All indications are that they are moving closer to oneworld.

Originally Posted by hserus
They have enough elites earning miles doing butt on seat travel that they dont need an alliance.
I think Naresh Goyal is beginning to rethink the "Emirates no-alliance" mantra after looking at the numbers on their N. Am flights. It has become obvious to 9W that ex-US traffic is only going to come if they team up with a strong US carrier.
The fact is that the massive 9W freq flyer base in India is not going to be enough to fill the seats - especially the premium ones.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Pluna

I would be willing to bet little PLUNA grows a great deal in the next few years. A new terminal is being build in MVD and PLUNA has new equipment on order. I suspect MVD will grow as a regional hub airport and certainly less crowded than AEP in BsAs, or having to transfer between EZE and AEP when making connections in BsAs. I fly PLUNA a few times each year and have always found them dependable.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
Rumor has it the AF blackballed the MH application to join Skyteam.

Exactly why was a matter of conjecture.
Do you know how much longer when MH will join the Skyteam? How much longer when Skyteam will approval new alliance with MH. I don't have a logic answer from MH for this time. I can't confide which airlines will entry ST. Why they don't justify with MH entry Skyteam. Are you will able possibility sure if MH will decide entry the alliance.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by N830MH
Do you know how much longer when MH will join the Skyteam? How much longer when Skyteam will approval new alliance with MH.
At this point it seems that it is SkyTeam's decision (AF more than anything else) to not include MH in the alliance. Based on that I would not expect it to happen anytime soon.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:39 am

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
if you see how scared AF basically is of new competitors in Asia, then I think the chance of MH being a new member of skyteam is rather small. AF has managed to exclude the CDG-any CZ lines in China from earning miles. I mean either you let someone into Skyteam and accept him as a team member and not trying to do some stupid games like excluding certain rules from mileage earning.

Btw one of the reason why I'm mentioning this is also that under AF earning scheme, MH flights from France/Italy/Switzerland-KUL are excluded from mileage earning..
Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:40 pm

I read somewhere that AF wants TG to leave star and come to skyteam. That's supposidly the basis for their objection to MH. I don't know how much longer they'll hold onto this pipedream before moving on. At the moment its Skyteam flyers that are being punished for their arrogance.

I can't possibly imagine why they would try to block any competition in SE Asia. That's hardly a focus area for them. If MH were trying to set up a mini-hub in Europe and operating flights to/from both North America and Asia from there then I could see it, but there's certainly enough traffic to go around for AF and MH to operate Asia-Europe routes within Skyteam.

MH and TG both for that matter have a better Y product than AF. MH with a 34" seat pitch and TG with a premium econ option. Neither have any major advantage in premium cabins.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:53 pm

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310
MH and TG both for that matter have a better Y product than AF. MH with a 34" seat pitch and TG with a premium econ option. Neither have any major advantage in premium cabins.
believe me, I would prefer MH or TG ANYTIME over AF! It's not only the inferior AF inflight product, also the arrogant, vivre la France style of the FAs which I just simply dislike.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by bchl
believe me, I would prefer MH or TG ANYTIME over AF! It's not only the inferior AF inflight product, also the arrogant, vivre la France style of the FAs which I just simply dislike.
lol.... I can see where you're coming from on that... fortunately I speak French well enough that I can normally avoid said arrogance.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Maybe one day

Just came across this recent news:

China/Malaysia: Ties formed by China Southern with MAS
Utusan Malaysia, 24 Nov 2007, p.20:-
Effective 27 November 2007, there will be 35 flight routes per week between Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia and the Chinese cities of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. This is the result of a code-sharing agreement being sealed between China Southern Airlines (China Southern) and Malaysia Airlines (MAS) on 23 November 2007 in order to boost their strategic partnership on expanding the travel choices for passengers of both airlines.

Maybe this indicates a step towards further MH integration?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.