Wiki Posts
Search

Its Official... Three New Skyteam Members

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by jiburi
Granted, Star and One World Alliance has taken most of the "blue chip" airlines, I hope there will be options for airlines which serve the following areas:

Canada
Japan
Australia or New Zealand

Jiburi
Canada - not bloody likely. Canadian Air went under, Canada 3000 went under. Air Canada is basically all that's left. They know it, and that's why my Canadian colleagues pay an arm and a leg for transcons. Okay, sure, there's Westjet, but that borders on being an LCC - not real competition.

Japan - I think I've heard of an airline that flies there, called... Northwest?

Australia/NZ - Qantas is in OW, Air NZ is in *A, and we really don't want that cheap airline (Jetstar or whatever it's called) as partners. Malaysian might still make it in... but I can't help thinking existing SkyTeam members will be wanting to just fly direct themselves once they take delivery of Dreamliners.

By the way, despite Kenya's imperfections (and I'm thinking of how long they take to get baggage onto the carousel) they are one of about three airlines in Africa that anyone actually takes seriously. The others are Ethiopian, which I don't think is in any of the major alliances yet, and South African, which is in *A but is, as its name implies, way down at the south end of things - not handy for most routings to any other part of Africa.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
CM ~= CO.

They fly the same 73G as CO. Half the carts in the galley are CO's. The service is comparable to a CO trans-con in terms of meal, though only 2 choices. Sundaes for dessert at dinner time. EUA is pretty consistent, including companion, with empties in F on the 4 flights I did in June/July.
I was on XJ last week and the cart was a CM cart (it's been a while since I've seen a CM cart)
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, KLM Flying Blue Gold, Emirates Skywards Blue, Priority Club Ambassador Gold
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Have you flown them? I've gotten rather good service from KQ on the short flights within Africa - envision a 45-minute flight in domestic F including a full meal on china.
Hmm yes more then just once ...... unfortunately. I know it is just my opinion, but I simply have not much confidence in any African airliner except for SAA. Anyway, sometimes it is hard to avoid a certain airline, i expect I will be on them again in Dec and Jan.

Crz!
Diederick
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Diederick
I know it is just my opinion, but I simply have not much confidence in any African airliner except for SAA.
FYI - I am a South African national, and I have no confidence in SAA. Proud to say that I have not flown them since 1992, and have no plans to fly them again - EVER!!!!
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador

Australia/NZ - Qantas is in OW, Air NZ is in *A, and we really don't want that cheap airline (Jetstar or whatever it's called) as partners. Malaysian might still make it in... but I can't help thinking existing SkyTeam members will be wanting to just fly direct themselves once they take delivery of Dreamliners.
I'm hoping Air NZ jump ship and join ST. Or maybe MH.
I'd even take Gulf Air, Qatar or Etihad should they decide to join alliances and fly from SIN to Australia.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:47 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So odd that nwa.com isn't updated yet with the new skyteam airlines. THey are listed because of previous relationships with all three, but not moved up into the skyteam area, nor are the EQM rules on for KQ...

Someone's slackin on the job!
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:50 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
co.com hasn't either!

How about Emirates esp since they already have a relationship with CO? That would be totally cool
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So odd that nwa.com isn't updated yet with the new skyteam airlines. THey are listed because of previous relationships with all three, but not moved up into the skyteam area, nor are the EQM rules on for KQ...

Someone's slackin on the job!
Which EQM rules for KQ? The "you don't get any" one?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
What I'm waiting for is a REASONABLE SE Asia-to-Africa award on one of the carriers. Maybe 30-40K, something proportionate to distance and cost. When it comes to awards, SkyTeam is basically an alliance in name only, with airlines like AF and KE wanting to overcharge miles on anything that is low-competition.

Australia, NZ and Polynesia also are disconnects due to low competition. Malaysia Airlines has a lot of routes that would help, but they need to be brought into the 21st century on booking technology.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by Cris L
Having flown NW/CO/DL/AZ/KL/AF and KQ of the skyteam groupings, I can tell you that KQ is my carrier of choice.

Frequent upgrades - fantastic service, much better in Y than some of the others in C (Us Domestic/European ).

I have not flown UX or CM, yet - but UX at end of November !!
Better service in Y than others in C? Now, now, lets not get ahead of ourselves. KQ has an excellent hard product in it's C seats, but the Y section is brutal on all but very short trips. IFE selection is a joke compared to just about any US/Euro carrier. And service in C and Y has been friendly but pretty incompetent. This is LHR/NBO, BKK/NBO, and NBO/KGL. Actually, for NBO/KGL I prefer Rwandair Express, who codeshare with KQ on that route.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Which EQM rules for KQ? The "you don't get any" one?
No update in NWA's website yet regarding EQM's on NWA. I just called to inquire whether I'd earn EQM's on a revenue NBO-BKK flight in C (as part of a RTW Revenue Ticket), and was told that only 'NWA-Designated' flights earn EQM's.
Wouldn'tcha know it, the KQ NBO-BKK isn't a 'NWA-Designated' flight (i.e, no NWA codeshare on that flight), so it doeesn't earn EQM's, even in C class.

Doesn't sound right to me, especially not on a ST airline flight. I'll wait till the dust settles for a bit before asking NWA again...
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:30 am

What happened to Tarom? At one time they were on the list as potential junior partners of Sky Team. Except for their flights to Italy, I have gotten pretty good service from them.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Carolinian
What happened to Tarom? At one time they were on the list as potential junior partners of Sky Team. Except for their flights to Italy, I have gotten pretty good service from them.
Are you serious? Tarom is awful. They have some nerve calling themselves an airline! I avoid them like the plague. I've never encoutered a more aggressively rude staff - even US is pleasant compared to them. And they're ages behind the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.